iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farm plate, Log plate, Michigan

Started by nastcat, March 05, 2013, 09:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastcat

I don't quite get the rules about all these things. What is an F endorsement? Here is the reason I'm even concerned about all this. I'm exploring the different trucks available to haul equipment, wood (processed and logs) and use for farming operations. I would like the largest sie truck I can get with out getting into a pile of red tape. Anyone been down this road and would like to share thier thoughts?

chevytaHOE5674

An F endorsement is on your drivers license and is used to get around some of the CDL requirements. But you can't haul for hire, can only operate within 150 miles of your farm, and can only haul ag products/machines/etc to or from a farm.

As for log or farm plates. Log plates can be used on a "for-hire" vehicle but not for personal use. Farm plates can't be used "for-hire" but can be used for personal use. Log plates are for hauling and transporting raw materials in the form produced at the harvest site, or transporting wood harvesting equipment. Processed lumber or firewood does not qualify for log plates. Log plates must be used exclusively in connection with a logging operation (MVC 257.801(d)).

I suggest you talk with your local SOS person and figure out what you want to do with the truck. If you have Log plates then you can't technically haul farm products (hay, grain, cattle, etc). If you have farm products then you have to be careful that you hauling to or from a farm and not for hire.

Autocar

Out of curiosity what dose Log Plates cost you ? Ive always felt that hauling a raw product like logs a fellow should beable to run farm tags but here in ohio that isn't the case.
Bill

chevytaHOE5674

Plate fees are based on the empty weight of the vehicle. So you run across the scales and get a slip then go to the DMV and pay based off that weight.

Corley5

The SOS office also has a book of vehicle weights too look up the weight of your pickup etc.  I've got Log/Farm plates on my stuff and that's how the fee for the plate was determined.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

Correct. But if you have a log truck then chances are the weight isn't in the book, also with older pickups and straight trucks they aren't likely to have the weight. I just go to the local landfill and get a weight slip, doesn't cost anything and its nice to know what your rig weights so you can calculate what you can and can't legally haul.

Autocar

If I understand you my Autocar tri axle with the prentice weighs 15 ton so I would pay for a license for 15 ton. Where Iam not understanding what I would be aloud to haul then  ???. Do you guys have P.U.C.O. numbers on your truck or is it different ?
Bill

chevytaHOE5674

You would be able to haul a certain amount based on the max GVW of the truck and the configuration. Number of axles, axle spread, etc all play into what you can haul. I think a 2 axle truck can have a max GVW of 50,000lbs, so if the truck weights 30,000 then your allowed 20,000lbs of cargo.

Never heard of puco numbers...

Autocar

Bill

mark686

look up michigan farmers transportation guidebook this will answer most of your questions regarding what each plate can be used for. hope this helps

mills

In Kentucky commercial tags run about $150 more for a 26,000# max weight vs. farm tags. But, as you all know the big difference is that commercial haulers are held to considerably higher and stricter standards.

Thank You Sponsors!