iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good day in the woods...

Started by Forrest277, March 05, 2013, 04:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forrest277

PLot update Day 2:

more plungin in windy condtions... for anyone who is into felling cut sequences..

in this pic you can easily see the two arcs of the blade after the hinge defing  plunges.  what I really like that is different than the traditional back cut, is that the last piece of holding wood is directly opposite the hinge. 

if you know what I mean !

GF
==
Love my Husky ...

beenthere

Couple questions...
Will your bar only reach to the center of that cross-section?

Is this the stump top in the pic, or the butt log stump-end? Am thinking this is the stump top.

If the stump, then that is quite a bit of fiber tear-out from the sawlog, losing the end of possibly good lumber in the log.

If the bar will reach deeper, then the plunge cut should (could) be deeper and the hinge a bit thinner (looks to be more than 2 cm).

Also, would like to see how much wedge you are taking out. Bigger angle on the wedge may let the tree drop further to the ground before closing and lifting the tree causing the fibers to tear out like that.

Just a few things that come to mind looking at the top of the stump.  Appreciate the pics. Hope you don't mind some commentary about the cuts. Obviously you are getting the job of falling done with your technique.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Forrest277

comments much appreciated... with thanks :°)

Quote from: beenthere on March 05, 2013, 05:01:38 PM
Couple questions...
Will your bar only reach to the center of that cross-section?

> the bar will go deeper, but I aim for the center wood n when i feel that I stop.

Is this the stump top in the pic, or the butt log stump-end? Am thinking this is the stump top.

> i took this off the butt end of the log so the fiber you see ripped is off the stump.

If the stump, then that is quite a bit of fiber tear-out from the sawlog, losing the end of possibly good lumber in the log.

If the bar will reach deeper, then the plunge cut should (could) be deeper and the hinge a bit thinner (looks to be more than 2 cm).

>i hear ya

... side note/ windy as it was, i liked to leave a thicker hinge and wedge...

Also, would like to see how much wedge you are taking out. Bigger angle on the wedge may let the tree drop further to the ground before closing and lifting the tree causing the fibers to tear out like that.

> I dont know if this applies cos the pic is off the butt of the log _ took about 5cm off.?? does that make a difference ?

Just a few things that come to mind looking at the top of the stump.  Appreciate the pics. Hope you don't mind some commentary about the cuts.

no worries _ its for that i post this stuff :!!)

Obviously you are getting the job of falling done with your technique.

Thanks fella _ I guess what i find is that they fall just when you close the last cut and withdraw___couldnt have gone better today _ lined three big ones (23m+) on point _ more than that, I have done em with an axe, and also with the traditional cut sequence, and  what i like the most about this method after all is the early release of the heart(center) wood.

Whaddyathunk?

_ did have to miss the neighbours log shed too ...

anyways up.

I share these thing cos i like the discussion, and, I think you guys know what you are doing !

big up
just relaxing after a good day in the woods
GF
===
Love my Husky ...

Forrest277

stumpnotes...

23m tall

min 70yrs old

Pine: species name : Pinus pinaster, "Maritime Pine"

Looks like this

Notes: interesting medicinal properties in this wood ....summary http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_Pine

http://www.efi.int/portal/virtual_library/information_services/mapping_services/tree_species_maps_for_european_forests/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05wjsRxjvug

luckily these machines arnt common near me _ otherwise we'd all be out of work !
Love my Husky ...

Sprucegum

Very interesting, thanks for the pictures  8)

Which direction was the wind blowing - same as direction of fall?

Forrest277

Quote from: Sprucegum on March 05, 2013, 06:40:50 PM
Very interesting, thanks for the pictures  8)

Which direction was the wind blowing - same as direction of fall?

thanks bud_ the wind was strong in both directions _ kinda squirly with some short pauses _ i was watching the top 7meters of tree flex and wobble all over the place like rubber _ she did have a slight lean in the fall direction, but no more than a couple of degrees.

the main issue was the buildings either side of the fall that had to be avoided.  I planted her right in the middle with no damage to either. (not shown in the pic!)

happy cuttin

GF
==
Love my Husky ...

Thank You Sponsors!