iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw mill, need opinions and/or experience

Started by balsabones, March 05, 2013, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balsabones

Hi all, I am going to buy my first bandsaw mill by this Friday. I have been using a chainsaw mill, and now that word has spread that I cut lumber, I cant keep up with demand. Not to mention the constant sharpening and grooming bars.
My budget will only allow 1 of the 2 mills I have narrowed down to and, I cant make up my mind. I would like some feedback and opinions from anyone who has run or owned, or even seen live demonstrations of, the following 2 mills.
If I have broken any rules by posting the links to each website, please remove.
Thank you in advance.

HM 126 Portable Sawmill   
http://www.woodlandmills.ca/collections/products/products/hm-126-portable-sawmill

HFE 21 HOMESTEADER
http://www.hud-son.com/forestry-equipment/portable-sawmills/hfe-21.php
Moving ahead so life don't pass me by

lowpolyjoe

If i ever buy a mill, this might be my price range, so i can't wait to see some feedback  :)

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Balsabones.

Of the two mills you've selected, I've only been around the Hud-Son.

Seems to be a solidly built mill, and worth the asking price.

If you want to get high production of lumber, the Hud-Son might be a little on the slow side, but none the less, it is a good mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

justallan1

Balsabones, look in the search tab. I have a Hudson hfe 21 and have made a couple comments it. If you are looking to cut for others on occasion or as a favor it will be fine. If you plan to make a full fledged business out of it and feed a wife and 3 kids I'd probably want a bit faster mill. For what I'm doing it's great.
Allan

francismilker

I was just a keystroke away from owning a woodland until I found the deal on the wm lt-10.  If it's one or the other, I might suggest the woodland with an extra track length. They both seem to be good mills for the money though.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Happycamper

I almost bought a Woodland Mill from Neil and company but learned it is all made in China, motor too. I bought a LT10 mizer which has thicker steel in the rails and is made in No. America. I think the Woodland folks are good to deal with however and if you live near them where parts are available that is a plus. They are less money for a reason.
                                   Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Jay C. White Cloud

Hud-Son is my recommendation.  Solid little mill, made in the USA for the most part, with mostly none proprietary parts.
Full disclosure, I own a Oscar 30", so I am biased.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Mountain State Farm

Hi balsabones, welcome to FF.

I'm with Jay on this one and I am also biased. HFE 36 Homesteader. If your budget can swing it, try to get an extra section of track and go with the biggest motor they offer for that model.

Dave.
That sawdust bug bit me in the ...

dgdrls

Go bigger you won't regret the decision ;)
look for a used unit,

I also posted this shop previously

http://www.burgbandsawmills.com/

DGDrls

m wood

Welcome balsabones.  You are at the right place for info.  Although I have never owned either, I have researched both.  Not many options available with the woodland mills (engine's a bit small), but I SURE DO like the bulk of the track and bunks.  seems  beefy.  More options with some of the hud-son line up to be sure ( i thought their framing in that price range seemed flimsy).  I can guess your particular $ range from my own research already done.  If you are already looking at outside sawing demands I'm assuming you are sawing somewhat for hire.

Looking at used mills should be mentioned here, I did, and am so-far happy with the decision.  Fell into my price range(actually under)and "for sure" gave me a bit more mill.

good luck Balsabones and welcome again
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

balsabones

Thank you to everyone for the replies. Im still podering. The one thing I am sure of is, I only have $3400 to spend. The woodland, shipped is 3248 and the hudson with free shipping to the dock where I work is 2599. I just wonder, sitting side by side, which one would cut more lumber faster, without killing the machine or blades. I weld and have welders so track length isnt important.
Moving ahead so life don't pass me by

Jemclimber

Welcome Balsabones,

Tell us where you are and what kind of wood you'll be cutting.  I understand about a budget, but I would really think about looking for used lt10 or maybe financing the few hundred extra for a new one.   Many times cheaper is more expensive in the long run and the lt10 has great resale value. Good luck with your decision.
lt15

Ga Mtn Man

The Woodland has almost 50% more HP and should cut significantly faster than the Hud-Son.  The Hud-Son is a smaller mill in cut capacity and engines size (and price).  Doesn't seem like a fair comparison.   
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ocklawahaboy

I was almost ready to buy a HUD-son a few times.  I kept backing out because of wanting built-in portability.  I kept looking and looking and finally found a working, used WM LT40 for $4000.   8). I'm Very happy.  Of course now I want hydraulics though but that's not going to happen

HaroldSiefke

Hi I own a woodland mill and have up graded some things on it and so far it has held up to a twenty HP robin subaru motor. The track is built well . I made my own 6 foot track extention. It will only cut down to two inches of the bed, but easily made to cut with in an inch. If you are not planning to cut over 26 inch logs this mill has been great for me. The customer service is fast. I had a band wheel that was to big for bearings and in an inspection that I do before I saw I found this and they sent me a new band wheel at no cost. The 9.5 is a great motor. Starts easy on first or second pull . But I always want bigger. Good luck on your decision. Milling is great. Take a look at my pictures. I put a pinney log turner on that's great. Welcome to the forum. Hal......
Harold

bandmiller2

Bones,I'd kick it up a notch or two and look into a Norwood, Woodmizer or boardwalk your arm will get sore patting yourself on the back. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!