iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

milling with my honey bees

Started by hunterbuild, March 04, 2013, 08:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunterbuild

This week-end I was milling in a t-shirt. My honey bees where out and for some reason wanted to help. Several stayed with the mill the whole time I was milling. Must be the smell of the fresh cut pine. Today the wind chill was 0. Got to love South Dakota. :D

drobertson

Not sure if I should send my condolences, or say better you than me ;D   You boys definetly have the weather there,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SPIKER

Did ya give them a warm cup of honey water to get them going?   Not much outside to eat just the comb food and no forage...  Today saw a couple ground hogs (Wood Chucks) getting a bit amorous in the sun shine.    Too bad I didnt have my 10/22.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

thecfarm

My Boo-Boo would of liked to see them.  ;D My fields are still all white and will be for at least a month and maybe 2 and maybe 3.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hunterbuild

Last summer was the hives first year so I left the honey for the winter. I will have to start some sugar water If it heats up again. We are in a draught so I have been milling pretty much when ever I want. We need snow!

Peter Drouin

Last fall there was a day or two they were all over the mill :Dso I put out an cake pan of sweet water out and they went for it, and left me alone :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dakota

Where are you located hunterbuild?  Anywhere near me?
Dave Rinker

thecfarm

I forgot about that.I was sawing late spring last year and bees was all over my sawdust pile. I sawed for a couple days and they was all over the sawdust. 13 year old grandson comes over for a day and is sacred of them and starts to kick sawdust at them.  ::)  City kids. I just told him I've been sawing here for 2-3 days and walking right through them and having no trouble at all with them. The bees did not bother him either,once he stopped kicking sawdust at them.  ;D Those wings was moving the sawdust too. I did get him calmed down enough to watch the bees for a while and tell him what they was doing and why.

hunterbuild

Hey Dakota, I'm just west of Keystone on Old Hill City Rd. Where in Deadwood are you?

Dakota

10 miles south of Cheyenne Crossing, just off of Hwy 85, which is 16 miles south of Deadwood.
Dave Rinker

dblair

was eating lunch at the shop the other day and a honey bee was lurking around I looked  about and there was some maple buds in the trees . those bees know their stuff. today it's snowing good thing they are not in the forecasting business.
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

HaroldSiefke

I have two hives right now. They like to come Chase my boys around . I am about to start feeding some parties from Dayton bee supple . They do like when you mill don't they:)
Harold

Compensation

D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

francismilker

Mine have been out and about sizing up my sawdust pile for the past few days.  I'm liable to have some good ol' ERC honey come late spring!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Dewey

Mine have been out a little lately too....  They Like my Northern white Cedar sawdust as well  !!

Magicman

It is interesting when a "Good News Bee" hovers around the sawhead.  It must be something about the sound because they will stay very close to the sawblade.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!