iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1989 Timberjack 230 forwarder with cummins

Started by Atlantic Trader, March 04, 2013, 07:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Trader

Thinking about buying one what have been your experience with these machines, anything to lookout for besides the normal concerns on buying a used machine. Iam just in the tire kicking stage I went and looked at it twice iam going to see the owner tomorrow. Any thoughts or suggestions would be good,thanks

bushmechanic

Those are great machines, just check the center pins,walking beam,make sure the loader is working o.k. and all is well with moving the machine around. Make sure the clutch is not slipping cause that's a two day job to change, if it's the newer style cab.What kind of loader is on it-Serco or Loglift ?

treefarmer87

it is a great machine, if its in good shape, it would be a good buy
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Atlantic Trader

Its has the serco loader and it does look like it is in pretty good shape. It has the 66 floats on it they are in good condition with more than half wear left.

bushmechanic

The Serco loader is good but a little short for a machine with flotation tires.Those tires are pricey you better keep that in mind when purchasing a machine.The better tire for those are the 30.5 / 32"s if you can get those.You'll find that in order to pick up wood with that machine it will have to be between the tires for easy loading.

Atlantic Trader

Thanks Bush Mechanic this the type of information i need. Would the 30.5 32" possibly be the original tires that would have been on this machine.

What is the market like for reselling used floats and rims.

I dd remember when they first came out everybody wanted them to cut down on compaction and rutting ar they till popular?

bushmechanic

Yes your right about the less ground disturbance idea but I think that gave way to the eco-tracks.Those machines could be ordered with either the 66's or the 30.5's from the factory. All the times that I have seen the flotation tires used was that the ruts were wider.I worked for a company that had a 1994 Timberjack 230A with a Serco loader and flotation tires and it got stuck in a soft spot.The operator unloaded the full load on the side and tried to get out empty but couldn't. Then the foreman sent in a 1996 Timberjack 230A with the 30.5 /32 tires and a Loglift loader,it pulled up on the other side of the woodpile and loaded the full load and went out to the landing with it,he unloaded and came back and pulled out the 1994.That's just one case I saw so I'm not a great believer of the larger tire's, more money for less ability in my opinion. 

Atlantic Trader

Bushmechanic
Iam not neccessarily a big fan of them either. But it is what it is, iam thinking of buyingbthe machine andit would definetly give me more versatility in my firewood business. I was thinkin of possibly selling off the floats and getting the smaller tires and rims. Iam just not sure how easy and or inexpensive this will be?

treefarmer87

it probably had 23.1x26s originally. I would like to have it with those tires for sensitive areas :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Jamie_C

The 28L 26 tires work really well on those machines. The big old floatation tires get weak around the beads and cause nightmares and a lot of pain in the wallet.

Atlantic Trader

Treefarmer
Where i have never driven  one with floats does it reducethe manuverability and do you lose onthe trottle due to the extra wide footprint?

What are the real advantages of using floats?

Jamie_C

AT ... you will find that floats make the machine a lot more stable but your turning radius increases quite a bit, you will also hit more stumps, rocks and anything else you can think of. The traction with those wide tires isn't as good and you do lose some power, they are big tires and weigh a lot more than a 28L 26. Last guy i ran a TJ 610 for went through 6 of those floatation tires in a few months before finally switching to 28L 26's

Atlantic Trader

Thanks Jamie
Do you want to buy 4 floats and rims, ha just kidding, but that is the situation Iam looking at but thanks for the good advice. Unfortunately buying four new 28l 26 tires and rims or other tires to replace the floats if I buy the machine is not an option. Maybe there is a trade out there?

I will let you guys know if I get the machine, i was looking at a newer bigger skidder, but I think the forwareder is the way to go.

Jamie_C

Check in the Ritchie Bros. auctions, sometimes the one here in Truro has some decent tires and rims go through

treefarmer87

atlantic trader, they have less ground pressure, which is better in wet areas
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Atlantic Trader

Thanks treefarmer
There is no shortage of wet areas around here....

Jamie_C

Quote from: treefarmer87 on March 06, 2013, 10:14:04 PM
atlantic trader, they have less ground pressure, which is better in wet areas

Thats a good theory TF but in practice all they do is make bigger ruts, the 230/610 forwarders don't do well in wet areas at all

Jamie_C

what part of our backwards province are you in AT ?

celliott

The float tires will also make for a wider skid road in all areas, almost defeats the purpose of the low ground pressure. May prove troublesome for transportation also.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Jamie_C

I think the last TJ 610 i ran with 66/43/26 tires was a bit over 10' wide ... hung way out over the side of the float when you are moving it ... to do select cuts and use a 610 forwarder you better count on your trails being an absolute minimum of 15' wide on flat ground and 20' wide on rougher ground ... hill climbing ability with the floats is terrible

treefarmer87

I believe your right, no matter what tires you got- shes gonna sink :(
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Jamie_C

I have seen my fair share of them buried to the top of the tires

Atlantic Trader

Jamie
Still working on the deal, i live in Shelburne. It has been a Really wet spring ...

240b

I remember reading in some forestry manual, how its the Diameter of the tire (think dozer track) not the width which gives it floation.  But, yes low psi = terrible traction..

beenthere

Gotta include the width too, IMO.

A 12' diam bike tire wouldn't float much better than a 2' diam bike tire. But add a foot width to each and imagine which would float better. ;)

Now maybe a percentage increase in diameter improves flotation faster than the same percentage increase in width.... that possible?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!