iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

too small of a job?

Started by dGarnier, March 04, 2013, 12:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dGarnier

I have 3 basswood logs that are 60" long and 24 - 30" diameter that I to get cut into 1" thick boards.  The boards will be cut down to 9" wide and worked from there.  I started on woodmizer site and called 3 shops list and none of the numbers answered or had VM.  I then called two more shops of found online and say result.  I guess there all out cutting wood.  Then O got to thinking what the cost is going to be to saw up this wood and if it's worth trying to find someone to cut it for me, or would I just be better off get a basic chainsaw mill and having at it.
love being in the woods with a gun or a chainsaw

Ocklawahaboy

Someone out there should cut them for you.  There are a number of folks around here that will quote you an hourly rate and work you in between jobs.  Hobby/part time guys like myself could fit you in right away.  Just keep looking.  If all else fails, throw them in the truck and Head down to FL.  You can drop them at my house on your way to Disney and I'll have them done when you get back.  Forecast is for 75 here tomorrow.  8)

Barney II

If you are calling Wis. mills they are probably out shoveling snow and or are getting ready to shovel some more later today and Tuesday.   ;D ;D
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

Brad_S.

Just to maybe give you an idea, when I sawed full time I had a $250 minimum plus milage to saw on site and a $30 minimum if you brought the logs to my yard.

All minimums were based on a $60 an hour rate. Because your logs are so short, they would require extra handling time.

Based on that, you would have had to bring them to me to make it cost effective for you. Not everyone is equipped to move logs like that.

You may find a hobby sawyer who doesn't charge minimums though.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Ocklawahaboy

Your prices sound in line with what I've heard around here.  Definitely a take it to the mill kind of job.

Axe Handle Hound

I don't know if it's still there, but I remember seeing a Woodmizer sawmill parked on the north side of Highway 64 just east of town, a mile or two past Peroutka's.  There was a guy there with a pretty big metal building and what looked like a log yard or an equipment yard around it and a Woodmizer parked under an overhang.  Maybe take a trip over and see if the owner is interested in helping you out?

thecfarm

Do you need a reason to buy a CSM?? I think you have one.  ;D  Those CSM are kinda hard on a chainsaw. Need a BIG one to really get the job done with ease. Someone might charge you a little more, BUT where can you buy basswood lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

The initial problem isn't that the job is a small one, it's that he can't actually get hold of a sawyer. If he had 100 logs to cut, and they wont answer the phone, it's the same issue.  ::)

So maybe a more important lesson for the guys looking for saw work. Make sure the contact details you advertise will actually contact you. Even if it's a voicemail, or email etc. At least then you can make contact.

I mean I can understand them not answering the phone, they are probably out working. But no answering machine?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dGarnier

Quote from: Brad_S. on March 04, 2013, 02:01:00 PM
Just to maybe give you an idea, when I sawed full time I had a $250 minimum plus milage to saw on site and a $30 minimum if you brought the logs to my yard.

All minimums were based on a $60 an hour rate. Because your logs are so short, they would require extra handling time.

Based on that, you would have had to bring them to me to make it cost effective for you. Not everyone is equipped to move logs like that.

You may find a hobby sawyer who doesn't charge minimums though.

ok I have not yet cut the wood, and my need for them is 60" but I could cut them to to length after sawing.  What is a good length to cut the logs to for sawyers to work with and keeping in mind I am looking to cut 60" boards from them.

Also is this a 3 hour job or a 30 minute job?

dGarnier

Also planned on taking the logs to be cut, as the jobs is so small I know its not worth the time to move the mill.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I saw a lot of logs....if you can call it a log, 60" and sometimes less. for customer. 99% of these short logs are Cedar. Mostly project woodworkers and birdhouse builders. They may bring in a trailer load of 20 of these logs with a 12" did. and up. I just charge them $50.00 an hour.
And about the phone, my cell phone is my office phone. If I hear it ringing, I stop and answer it. If there is a voice message because I did not hear the phone ringing because the saw was running, when I see a missed call or message, I promptly call them back. A phone ring or message is money.

And remember....this is just how I do it.  :D I have very good cell service in my area.

This is the Blue Tooth device I wear while working. It does not go in one ear but both. I can clearly hear the phone ring while sawing.
Here is a pic of Paul wearing it.
I got these at Walmart and they are made for music and phone. They sure help me NOT to miss a call.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

I'd cut the logs 120"+ some trim. 

Making boards to stretch hides?   Son Chris made up a bunch last time he was down.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

I would not cut anything until I talked to whomever is going to do the sawing. But if that's the only length,60" that you can easily handle,well that maybe the way it is. Who ever will saw them may say the 60 inches is ok,but it takes me more time to saw them which will cost you more,just guessing $30. If you can't handle a log longer than 12 feet,the extra cost is worth it. Shorts logs can be a bother.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

trapper

you are too far away or I would be happy to do it if they were brought to me. (about 100 mi.)  I like cutting basswood. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Brad_S.

Quote from: Bibbyman on March 04, 2013, 03:40:52 PM
Yep. 10' 4-6" is what I would cut. Most mills are set up to do 8+ feet. Shorter can be done but often require use of boards leaned against the posts to be able to clamp the logs. Also, alot of time is spent opening the log and edging the boards so doing a single 10' instead of two 5' is roughly half the work.
That size log, with edging on the mill, would take about 20 minutes on a hydraulic mill and maybe twice that on a manual? I think you could figure on 1-2 hours for two 10' 30" diameter logs.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

dGarnier

Quote from: Bibbyman on March 04, 2013, 03:40:52 PM

Making boards to stretch hides?   Son Chris made up a bunch last time he was down.

bingo...they get $$$ after adding in shipping.  For the price of basswood, if I can do anything with it other then sell its as pulp I come out way ahead in the game. 

I am going cut a few tress this weekend to open up and new tail and I will leave them long until I get set up with a sawyer and find out what size they would be able to work with best.

ladylake

My B20 will saw 3' logs no problem, would most likely have to turn them by hand.  No job is too small as quite a few lead to bigger jobs.   Should take about 1 hour to saw those 3 logs.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kansas

Wisconsin forest service should have a list of sawyers in your area. You might try them, and the list is probably online. Don't forget Craigslist. Maybe you have already done those things, but if not, its worth a shot.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Have you tried to call these guys in the evening.. like after its dark out.  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

dGarnier

trapper

He stopped in this afternoon.  Had a good visit and he got just over 100 square ft of lumber.  Said sq ft because we cut at 3/4 in on the inch scale leaving them about 11/16 that should work good for what he wants.  FF got us connected.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

JohnM

Quote from: trapper on June 02, 2013, 11:55:31 PM
He stopped in this afternoon.  Had a good visit and he got just over 100 square ft of lumber.  Said sq ft because we cut at 3/4 in on the inch scale leaving them about 11/16 that should work good for what he wants.  FF got us connected.

[Like button] smiley_clapping
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

barbender

Cool ;) I find it frustrating when I can't get ahold of a business. I usually just cross them off of the list and move on, same thing if they don't return a message. If your customer service is poor on the first contact, is it likely to get any better? I find the same thing with some business' websites, they are confusing and you can't get the info you need. I'd rather not have a site than have a poor one. My .02, glad you guys got the job done.
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

When sawing "shorts", I'd suggest saw by-the-hour, due to the extra handling!

I don't like to saw shorts, but if it's just a few, I will.

Small jobs, I have a 1,000bf minimum!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dGarnier

you beat me to it marv - it was nice stopping by and watching the mill in action and talk so trapping.  Got the wood stacked up and put a fan on to help move a bit of air.

Thank You Sponsors!