iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blown over pine permit

Started by crockett, April 09, 2004, 10:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crockett

Where I live, there's an area on federal forest land that has some blown over dead pine on it. How do I get a permit to get them?

redpowerd

go to the local DEC
call your county office and ask for permission to cut on state land, youll be amazed at the numbers theyll give you. you can get leases cheap anywhere and if its sight unseen and no competition, all the more ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Ron Wenrich

You would have to contact your local office of the feds in charge.  You have to know who has jurisdiction.  In some areas, BLM and Forest Service lands are close together.

They can line you up with the necessary permits.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

Where are you located? On the Hiawatha National Forest?
~Ron

crockett

Yes, I'ts the hiawatha national forest. Thanks for the answers. i have a direction to go now.

Ron Scott

Stop in at the Forest Supervisor's office in Escanaba or the District Ranger station at Rapid River. Check with them to see what the management direction is for the wind blown pine area and if they will make a direct salvage sale if at all.

We had a wind blown red pine area here on the Manistee National Forest awhile back that they tried to salvage, but an environmental group tied it up in court for 3 + years until the bugs got into the pine so bad that the USFS finally was able to salvage it only for fuel chips.

A loss of timber values to the taxpayer.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

That's one aspect that has been disputed by landowners who have land next to public lands. There are small isolated crown parcels, 100 acres or less, which have over mature wood on them falling down. With the current system , if  those stands are not part on the harvest queue for several years, they are left to fall down. I did a number of forest management plans on small crown (public) lots we chose more or less at random. We presented them to the Minister, and was told its up to the license for their management. We also had a district manager look at the plans and he was more concerned with the format of the plan, than with its contents, or merits for that matter. Typical government. So with a few more sessions with governement over the issue it was pretty much given up on. The effort was put into motion by our local marketing board, and I think two other board areas persued it to a similar end.

Might as well get the mallet out and chip away at this rock pile, get more results :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!