iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hay baler wood splitter

Started by DaleK, March 03, 2013, 08:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaleK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAddyGNZ1cQ

I don't think I'd use this one either.  If it hits a tough one things can't end well.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

r.man

I think I have seen three of these on the net, and a bunch of others that use the large steel wheel with an ax head welded on. Not enough safeties for my liking. If the baler has a proper shear pin on its flywheel it might be mechanically safe but it needs some sort of loading chute so the operator doesn't get close. This might be the one where the fellow dismantled it after jamming it and found that it had broken two teeth in the drive gears. It could be made safe but these ones are too slap dash.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

chevytaHOE5674

I think that's the one that later on it broke the gears like R.man stated. A hay baler isn't built for that kind of pounding.

samandothers

Scares me watching him roll the large log over onto the beam.  I could just see him not getting his hand back in time and the plunger getting it.
:o

Bandmill Bandit

I am surprized the shear pin held.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

petefrom bearswamp

If he runs that long enough I guarantee he'll be missing at least some digits maybe a hand.
I will stick to my home built reasonably fast hydraulic splitter.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Logging logginglogging

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on March 04, 2013, 10:53:21 AM
If he runs that long enough I guarantee he'll be missing at least some digits maybe a hand.
I will stick to my home built reasonably fast hydraulic splitter.
I agree.... he better hope  he ruins the gear box on that before he hurts hi self real bad!!

r.man

I didn't see any bandages when he posted a video shoeing the ruined gearbox teeth. A shear pin on a properly operating machine is like an electrical fuse or breaker, when it pops it is a good thing compared to the alternative.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Logging logginglogging on March 04, 2013, 01:56:53 PM
Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on March 03, 2013, 07:11:09 PM
I am surprized the shear pin held.

They weld the shear pin....

I guess if they are stupid enough to use a baler for a splitter that would be part of the repurpose project. I have said it before but here it is again. Some people should not be allowed to ave children or own machinery.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

SPD748

Geez... the things some people are willing to risk to save a few dollars. As stated before, I'll stick to my home built hydraulic splitter. My 5" cylinder with a 9 1/2 second cycle time is plenty fast (and strong) enough for me. As a bonus, I get to keep all of my fingers  :)

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Hoss

When I was a kid, my dad set up a hay baler to split cedar shakes. He had an electric motor on it with a  switch you had to step on and hold down to activate the thing. The thing was slowed downed compared to the one in the video. It had a blade oriented horizontal and about 3/4" above the chute of the baler. It worked slick and we split alot of shakes.
Hoss

Thank You Sponsors!