iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thank God for spare parts!

Started by Okrafarmer, March 02, 2013, 10:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

I don't know if I told you guys that we were able to buy a spare parts LT-40 a few months ago. One of our contacts drove by and told me that a place he had once worked had gone bankrupt and was selling all their equipment, including an LT-40. I went over there (about half-way between my house and Profdan's, and not far from Charlie's house), and they were going through all the 3-phase shop tools and deciding which ones to scrap and which ones to send to auction. The Woodmizer was being scrapped, unless I wanted it. It was 1989 LT40HD electric. They had already torn the motor off for the copper, and it had lost a few other parts in the process, including the log clamp. It was in pretty rough shape, but the frame and headrig looked in pretty good shape, along with many of the small parts. We bought it for $600.

So-- yesterday I was milling a particularly big white pine log for a customer. I had just finished edging the live flitches, when the head dropped with a bang. Here's the log--

And here's the 20-inch cant, as I'm milling some 1X boards out of it,

So anyway, the headrig fell with a bang. I was very glad it did not hit me, the customer, or anything else vital, and that it didn't fall on the blade (who knows what that would have done). I quickly determined that something had failed in the up/down gearbox. I took it apart (with a little help from a friend who runs a machine shop in the old mill where I rent space) and found that the shaft inside the gear box had snapped in two.  yikes_smiley :'(  Well, I told the customer we'd call it a day. I went home to where the spare sawmill was, and got the gear box off it, and took it back and installed it last night. Thanks go to my 6-year-old daughter for holding the flashlight, even though she got sawdust in her eyes.  :-\ She also prayed for the bolt to go in, when it was not wanting to, and just when she prayed, it went in!  :-* It was quite an ordeal for a mechanically-challenged character like me, but thank God, we got it done. I was able to mill the customer's final log today and got paid.  8)

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

I read a while back where you had bought a spare sawmill.  I just figured that you were crazy and now you prove it.  Crazy like a fox.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Yup, it sure doesnt hurt to have spare parts on hand rather than wishing you could get them.
Allan

isawlogs

Okra, do I see a resaw on that old mill you bought ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Okrafarmer

I don't think it's a resaw, there's no blades on it. But I could be wrong. The scrap man didn't know what it was.  ::) I thought it was a conveyer, to tell the truth, but there was something a little funny about it. It would be really nifty if it were something useful! When I get a chance I will go out there and pick it off the sawmill and get a good look and picture of it.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

isawlogs

That is the  resaw that goes on the mill, it don't have a blade as it uses the blade off your mill, it should have a motor that you use the wire from your drive motor to connect it with, that will drive the wheels that pull the wood through the blade. Thsi is going by memory.. Take a few pics of it closer up.  ;)
I aint sure if this was also the shingle/lap sidding, resaw I am perty sure of though.. pics will tell.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Okrafarmer

I know it isn't the lapsiding attachment. I have one of those. I bought in from Warren, up in Kentucky. Well, Warren lives in Kentucky. I bought it from him in Tennessee.  ;D

If it is the resaw, then great. But what would I use it for? What is the advantage of it?

isawlogs

resaw a bunch of two inche to 1 inche or into what ever you want...  ;)

Marcel

loggah

Any time you can pick up a parts machine for cheap money ,do it !!!! ;D you did well and glad it worked out well for you !Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

terrifictimbersllc

"Whenever working under the head, secure the head to the mast with at least a 5/16" chain".    For me this is every morning when I tend to the track oiler, lubricate the mast surfaces, and oil the up down chain.    I carry a 3' 5/16" chain in my toolbox.   But I don't always use it.  ::) ::) ::)    When I'm under the head at those times,  for some reason I find myself thinking about the French Revolution.

Glad no one was hurt. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Glad nobody was hurt when the sawhead fell.

It's nice when you can just go and grab a spare part like that!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

That is a resaw. It clamps to the bed and uses the feed wires like Marcel said. You can tip it up and cut 1x6 into beveled siding.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

isawlogs

Thanks Dave, I knew it could do more then just resaw :D  Memory, just aint what it used to be.  ::) :D :D

Marcel

Magicman

Quote from: Okrafarmer on March 03, 2013, 12:23:22 AMIf it is the resaw, then great. But what would I use it for? What is the advantage of it? 
I had to turn down a resawing opportunity yesterday because the customer's boards had a bit of twist.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Gday

Nice Work Jim ;) smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup Spare Head parts, Resaw attachment and  a 24' Bed Extension all for 600 bucks  :) :) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Okrafarmer

Yes, I have the bed extension idea in the back of my mind! Not sure if I want the resaw, though. Seems like the kind of thing a guy might use if he had a LOT of resawing to do AND had help to assist with it. Now if anybody wants to trade for it, let me know. I could use a small planer, or a banding system, for instance. A pallet company might be able to use it for resawing cants, I suppose.

pineywoods

Okra, sure glad that saw head didn't bust YOUR head. I know of another case where that gearbox shaft failed. I think it's caused by the head shuddering due to lack of lube on the masts. Looks like Jake may have some competition on the looonng timbers. You gonna need that rail drilling jig ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

randy r

What is a Flitch? you said you had just finished sawing the live flitches?

Magicman

Go to the top of this screen and point to "Extras".  One of the drop down options is the Forestry Forum Dictionary.

The definition of a flitch is:   Flitch     A piece of lumber with wane on one or both edges.

isawlogs

The resaw is good for a little over 2inches if I recall what they where when I bought my mill.

Marcel

Okrafarmer

Quote from: pineywoods on March 03, 2013, 02:51:50 PM
Okra, sure glad that saw head didn't bust YOUR head. I know of another case where that gearbox shaft failed. I think it's caused by the head shuddering due to lack of lube on the masts. Looks like Jake may have some competition on the looonng timbers. You gonna need that rail drilling jig ?

Piney, I probably will need it at some point, but I don't have any immediate plans of joining the two rigs! I suppose the next time someone asks if I can do long stuff, I'll say, yes, I COULD, but. . . . .

It would take a good bit of work to get the scrap one ready to go as an extension. The frame is pretty well intact, along with the bunks, and even the turner (but not the clamp, more's the pity). Some of the jack stands are gone. I would need to replace the drive chain, and do a few other things. But it could be done.

Then I would have to find some long straight logs! Hard to find around here.

Thank You Sponsors!