iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Will you miss winter?

Started by Den Socling, March 02, 2013, 10:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

This may have been linked before but this morning was the first time I saw it.

http://rickysplace.com/jwplayer/0125-06.html

Sonofman

I have seen a few of those, but it is still funny to watch. As we do not have what you would call winter here, I do not have much to miss. Yes I will be glad when it warms up, but if you ask me in August if I will miss summer, you will get the same answer, I will be glad when it cools off.
Located due west of Due West.

red oaks lumber

driving in the winter is eaiser than they make it look. get your foot off the brake !!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

pasbuild

Living in an area were winter can be six months long you develop the skills to combat most of the pit falls, driving/walking ect.  To answer your question NO I will not miss winter.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Den Socling

It's funny but now that I'm old, ice feels a lot harder when I fall on my butt.  :o

LeeB

Yep I will. In about 24 hours I'll be back in the tropics. I can dress up and be warm. Buck nekkid, I'm still hot.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

isawlogs

I find myself to be very fortunate to live where I do, for many reasons, one being that we have four seasons that are about the same lenght in time, our winter fall spring and summer never last long enough to really get tired of them. Winter does not have -30°C temps for more then a week if that... Spring does not bring in tornadoes... summer does not have scorching hot weather for long extended preriods of time,... has beautifull colours and we have super nice hunter weather.
  Will I miss winter, no, not because I don't like winter, on the contrary I love winter, but I also like to see the trees go green again , love to do hay and go fishing, then when fall comes around the leaves are breath taking, hunting is a big part of my life, then the snow comes back and the wheel goes around again.

About that youtube...   :D
  We have mandatory snow tires here from dec15 till march 15 all resident car owners that have said car on the road must have it equipt with approved snow tires. That being said, ya still get those that use tires beyond "good" and those that have SUV's  with four wheel drive that think that it will stay on the road because of it being "four wheel drive" most times these people get a rude awakaning.... Boots are very much like snow tires, there are some made for dancing and then you have winter attire, high heels do not fall in the winter attire group.  ;D :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sawguy21

Here we call cars doing loops down an icy hill car curling.  :D The clip of the amorous bull was too funny but I have fallen on my butt too many times to find any humor in that. DanG that HURTS!!!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ken

Quote from: isawlogs on March 02, 2013, 01:51:27 PM
I find myself to be very fortunate to live where I do, for many reasons, one being that we have four seasons that are about the same lenght in time, our winter fall spring and summer never last long enough to really get tired of them. Winter does not have -30°C temps for more then a week if that... Spring does not bring in tornadoes... summer does not have scorching hot weather for long extended preriods of time,... has beautifull colours and we have super nice hunter weather.
  Will I miss winter, no, not because I don't like winter, on the contrary I love winter, but I also like to see the trees go green again , love to do hay and go fishing, then when fall comes around the leaves are breath taking, hunting is a big part of my life, then the snow comes back and the wheel goes around again.   

Very well said.  I feel the same way.  This winter was certainly much harsher than last year so I won't miss this winter.  I am looking forward to the spring.  Love to see the forest come back to life.

Cheers
ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sprucebunny

I love winter  8) The other seasons have their virtues but Febuary, March and early April are ( usually ) my favorite months because I can work hard without drowning in sweat or being pestered by biting bugs. The ground is usually frozen and snow covered so I can drag logs around and snow has often filled in  the holes that prevent access to some areas at other times of year.
The other thing I like about winter is the extra clothes/padding. I get fewer bruises and cuts.

I love to see the leaves come out in Spring and see things grow in the summer but I hate  bugs, being too hot and feeling like I'm going to melt. I would move farther north if the days weren't shorter in winter and the bugs worse.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

I must say I like winter. It cuts the population down some.  ;D Many people come here to Maine to enjoy the summer months and than come Labor Day they head back home. I really don't enjoy the ground being froze,that kinda keeps me inside at times. But it does feel good to slow down and just stay inside and do nothing at times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

after plowing and sanding roads almost every day sometimes twice a day for the last week.....no good by winter

Roger2561

You know, growing up I loved winter.  I have 6 brothers and 2 sisters.  The girls are the oldest.  We used to go outside sledding in the moonlight until mom said it time to come inside and get ready for bed.  I can remember entering the house.  It felt so warm inside after being outside where the temps were in single digits.  A nice hot bath or shower, clean jammies - those 2 things combined made the best tranquilizer ever known to man, well, in this case it was mom and dad.  We didn't spend time watching TV.  It was more fun sledding, having snowball fights, building forts or tunneling through the snowdrifts with my siblings.  I miss those days.  Now that I'm older (not any wiser) I find the winters a bit long.  Yes, I'm busy working on projects in my wood shop or reading an interesting story but it's not the same.  Perhaps I miss the carefree days of my youth where there were no worries other than if that pretty girl in class would go out with you (she said no).  Plus, like someone said in a previous post, that ice is a lot harder then it was when I was a kid.  Nothing like having the wind knocked out of you when both feet come off the ground from slipping on the ice and landing squarely on your back.  Nope - I can't wait for summer.  Thanks for helping me down memory lane.  Roger       
Roger

SwampDonkey

Well, I got the falling down on ice conquered.... creepers on the shoes or caulk boots. I'm sure though, that it's kinda like Marcel and his SUV driving neighbors. Too much confidence. ;) :D

No, I like winter. I have nothing to gripe and complain about. ;D

Today it was half raining all day, and that's with a NW wind. Hmm ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

I will definitely miss winter. Ask me in May through September if I would rather have winter or summer. If I can talk, I will croak "winter"

The only thing I don't like about winter here is the cold rainy muddy days, which we have had far too many of this winter. At least in Maine, it would freeze up solid and you wouldn't get wet or muddy.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

drobertson

I don't mind the winter season, we need the seasons for balance, I just don't enjoy working in the blowing cold that much any more,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

martyinmi

I love winter.
I love the cold, the snow, the fewer hours at work.
I love pulling my son around with my quad, cutting firewood with him, and having him cuddle up next to my plump self when he's cold.
I even like plowing snow both-at home and at work.
I guess one of the only drawbacks of winter for me would be the absence of my folks, as the "snow birds" head to their place in Florida in October and don't come back until March or April.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: isawlogs on March 02, 2013, 01:51:27 PM

smiley_thumbsup  me too
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Al_Smith

Couple weeks it will pretty much be over .I've got two face cords left from a 5 cord stack I started out with which should do it .Oh of course I've got more but about mid March it gets warm enough it's more of a bother to keep the stove going with warm days and just coolish nights .

I'll be honest about it ,I hybernate in winter .Having froze my behind off working construction for so many years now that I don't have to any more I don't .If I liked cold weather so much I'd move up to the Yukon or something. Fact Florida is looking better all the time any more .

Okrafarmer

Here it is, March 3-4, and they are calling for it to get down to 19° F tonight.  :snowball: Most years we are enjoying much balmier weather here by this time of year.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

ashes

I must say, after living in the Tahoe area for 11 years, winters in coastal Humboldt County are not really to tough.
We don't get the seasons though like I always enjoyed growing up with back in the midwest.

Here it is the rainy season, or the foggy season. Temperature seems to only change about 10 degrees on average. I do miss the snow though, so I would say that I do and will continue to miss winter.

Todd

I will miss winter...and I hope to start missing it SOON!
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Thank You Sponsors!