iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Attaching Hairpin Legs to top

Started by 123maxbars, March 02, 2013, 10:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I have a cedar slab that was going to be a bench, however the wife now wants a console table with hairpin legs. I just ordered some legs yesterday that should be here next week. I have never dealt with hairpin legs, the manufacturer says to just attach them to the bottom of the piece with wood screws. I was thinking about attaching them to the cedar slab/top by nut and bolt and using a cedar dowel to cover up the whole on the top. Just sees like attaching it with a few wood screws isnt the best idea. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Dan_Shade

you could use brass threaded inserts and use bolts in the cedar.  you could also epoxy the inserts.

are you concernced that the cedar is too soft to hold a screw?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

123maxbars

Not afraid of the strength of the cedar, just thought if i use wood screws and i ever have to take the legs off for transport/storage they could loose thier grip and not mount the legs as securely as the first time I attach them.

The brass is a good suggestion thanks,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Thank You Sponsors!