iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Swinger" gets a new (ok, used) Timberking!

Started by dmcc, April 09, 2004, 08:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmcc

Well guys, some people actually switch BACK to a bandmill! I found that to meet a lot of my customers needs I was going to have to have a bandmill. A good friend of mine decided to buy my Lucas 618 for occasional use, mostly construction lumber, and that freed me up to buy a bandmill.
 Anyway, I drove from Tyler Texas to Mt. Sterling Illinois early this week to buy a 1995 Timberking B-16 with hydraulic loaders, turner and clamps (some of you may have seen it in Sawmill Exchange). 15 hrs. there and 18 back. Got a good price on it, put new wheels and tires on it before I started back, now I'm changing pulley bearings, putting TimberWolf blade guides and pulley belts (tires?) on it, waiting on a new log turner chain, changing all the fluids, straightening a few bends and can't wait till some blades get here so I can try it out!
 In a few days I may try tackling picture posting again, and I may be hollering for blade alignment help.
"Still looking for that one BIG log"

oldsaw

I don't have any place to put it.  That is what talked me out of a 1220 and into an Alaskan.  For the amount I'm going to do it is more realistic anyway, and more convenient considering where I'm milling now.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

LSUNo1

dmcc, I'd be interested to hear about what you were not able to provide your clients using the Lucas. I am back and forth daily on swing vs. band. Was it just wide boards?

dmcc

It was mostly wide boards, but also a lot of people around here want small cedars milled and I was limited as to how small I could go, and even when I could cut them it was not very efficient board wise or labor wise. I also did finally have to admit that dry hardwoods could give me fits on full width cuts--and you can't just slow down like a bandmill, if that circle blade decided it wasn't going to cut, I had to back out and start over.
 Don't get me wrong, I really like the Lucas. It really starts to shine on logs 20" or bigger, especially cutting SYP. I don't think there is any way I'll be able to match the speed at which we made 2x6's out of big pines, and the pitch (sap) never seemed to matter, it always cut true. It is also a simple machine, with very few parts to break compared to this hydraulic mill I just bought.
 One other problem I had in doing onsite jobs was setup. It is simple, and 1 man can do it, but if you set it up, work all day and then break it down and take it home, it really gets to be a lot of labor.
 So to make a long story even longer, I bought a hydraulic bandmill not because they are "better", but because it is just better at what I need to do. I wish I could keep both, but at least it is a friend who is buying my Lucas, so I will still have access to it ;). i
So to sum it all up, if I were cutting only big pines, Lucas all the way. If I were cutting only small cedars, a manual bandmill would suffice. But I have to be ready for these and everything in between, plus save my back, so I arrived at the hydraulic bandmill. It's still hard work, but I can get more done.

ronwood

Friend of mine has a Lucas and he is selling it. Sure does work well for the large logs like the 42 in  pin oak that he cut with it the other day. Would be quite a job on my mill even with the hydralics. Seems that each type a saw shines in certain area.

I chose the band sawmill for many of the reasons that dmcc stated in his post.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

dmcc

Ronwood, again, it sure would be nice to own both.

Oldsaw, if I get into any really nice logs that are too big for the bandmill, but want wider boards than my friends Lucas will cut, then I might have to get an Alaskan with a big bar, at least to quarter the big stuff so I can put it on the bandmill. ;) Or maybe I should just be happy with what I've got for a while ::).

Steve_M

dmcc,

You were right in my back yard---Mt sterling is only 35 miles up the road from me.  I didn't even know there was a TK up there.  Were you getting rid of my competition or is the previous ower getting a different saw.  Good luck with the new mill.

Steve  
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

dmcc

Steve,
 I bought it off of a farming family (Howells) that used it part time. I don't think they are buying another. That's some pretty country up there, and the people were all real nice too. The Howells live about 5 miles east of Mt. Sterling.
Darren

Thank You Sponsors!