iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What axles are under my Frankenstien Skidder?

Started by nastcat, March 01, 2013, 03:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastcat

Here is a couple of pics of the planetaries on the axles that are in the Frankenstien skidder that I purchased.

Can anyone point me down the path of wisdom to what these possibly are, so I can start collect repair and maintenance information?

loggah

I dont know what kind of Frankenstien skidder you bought, but those are Hough axles out of a loader mabye a H60, Pretty sure Frank Hough was bought out by Interntional. Is your skidder a international? Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

bushmechanic

I agree with loggah in the fact that that's a hough sign on the planetary cover but it kind of looks like a larger Rockwell planetary.The earlier Timberjack forwarders used those usually for the rear axle.I have seen many trademark names on those covers such as timberjack and can-car on Rockwell planetaries. Your best bet is to pull one apart and get some part numbers off the components and see what it is.

nastcat

I was told it was a timber jack when I purchased it. I posted pics of it and the most responses stated it was an international S-8 Frame. The Winch is a Garwood, I believe off a military Truck. The engine is a Chevy 250 Straight six I believe a 73  converted to a HEI distributer. The transmission as far as I know is a powerglide.  It has 16.00-24 Grader tires and of course one of the rims has a different back spacing than the other three. When I purchased the skidder one tire was flat and one was as bald as me. I found a used tire and figured to use it to replace the bald tire. I took the flat in to get a new tube and was told no way would they remount that tire. Now I have four hard tires but one is still very bald. In the process of moving the tires around to get them all rolling in the right direction I found the planetary on the right rear has a lot of play. I have a few more pics of the axles and I will post them when I get to a computer that will let me. The front one has a cast logo that kind of looks like an upside down triangle with a large T and what looks like a small capital O on the left and small capital A on the right of the T all inside the triangle. This is going to be a work in progress and I will try to post pics as I go along.

nastcat

In this image you can see where the frame was flame cut away. This leads me to believe that these aren't the original axles.

If you look close you can see where I scraped away some crud and there is a 5801G683A number cast into the axle housing.

You can just make out the location of where the cast logo that kind of looks like an upside down triangle with a large T and what looks like a small capital O on the left and small capital A on the right of the T all inside the triangle

thenorthman

This is just guess work but from the picture and yer avatar, it does look allot like an international/houghs skidder, they did have an option for GM gas engines... (was looking into getting one awhile back...) good luck
well that didn't work

treefarmer87

all the earlier TJ,IH,treefarmer skidders had diff combos from what I have seen with different motors, trans, winches, axles.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

bushmechanic

I'm going to stick with Rockwell and I don't think that belongs to a skidder,I would guess out of a loader or something else because of the brakes on the wheel ends.The logo for the old Rockwell Standard corp was and upside down triangle with an R inside of it. Nastcat you definately have something put together from several different machines.Speaking of planetaries I'm off now to change a wheel seal on a buddies TJ 208.

nastcat

I'm planning opening up the planetary tomorrow to see if I can determine what is loose and I'll get some part #'s while I'm in there, so maybe I can figure out what these axles are for sure.. Any sage words of wisdom at this time will be greatly appreciated. What do you need for oil in the planetary housing when I put it back together?

I'm pretty sure that this is not a factory motor mount set up. :D But the fact that they did put a chevy gas engine in these skidders was probably where they got the idea for the conversion.

I really like this 1x6 pine spacer board holding the one end of the hydraulic pump up. You can see it under the galvinized hydraulic piping. :D

Thank You Sponsors!