iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Source for self-releasng snatch block?

Started by John Mc, March 01, 2013, 02:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Does anyone have a good source for self-releasing snatch blocks? I bought one from Labonville 5 or so years ago (not sure who it's made by), but the price has doubled since I got mine:

Looking for a cheaper alternative.  I need one more or less like this one, and another that could be a bit lighter-duty
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

That will spoil 3 big ones pretty fast,I see. :o  Did the other one wear out? I have no idea what amazon would have. Sometimes a cheap one is just that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

If you find something you consider reasonable let us know. I am still doing a lot of walking because I just can't seem justify the price they want for any I have seen.

Jay C. White Cloud

JohnMc,

I have the same one you do...I'll see if I can locate another source.  The one's we have, I was told, are/was made in Canada by one of the support companies of Farmi Winches, (I think that's what they told me?)

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

thecfarm

Labonville sells them under the name,Norse Self Releasing Snatch Block. The Norse Winch is what I have on my tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jay C. White Cloud

I can't find them for chipper than about $290.00 but for what the do and have to hold, that is about the correct.  I do other rigging, and when there is live loads applied, stuff gets expensive.  Let us know if you find a good one for less.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Holmes

A couple of them on NH CL $215 Middleton NH.  They look like your pic.
Think like a farmer.

John Mc

Quote from: thecfarm on March 01, 2013, 02:56:03 PM
That will spoil 3 big ones pretty fast,I see. :o  Did the other one wear out? I have no idea what amazon would have. Sometimes a cheap one is just that.

No, the one I have is built like a tank.  It's working fine, and I'm very happy with it. I'm looking for one for a friend similar to what I have. He's just hoping not to have to pay the $285 that Labonville is asking. 

The light duty one is for a small electric winch (3000# rating)... I could use a smaller size than what I already have (and I don't want to have to swap it back and forth between my logging winch and this electric one).

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

I did find some info on making your own... see attached article.  The sidebar to the article has the snatch block info.

g_man

Thanks for the article. They look pretty easy to make if you got the right tools.

isawlogs

I have one, not the same that was bought in Sherbrooke here, I will take pics of it tomorow, as it is dark here now. There is a small release block that needs be place on the rope/cable that, once it goes over the pully, will slip off the pully as it goes around.
  I will go hunt to see if I can't find the place I got it from.... 25 years is a long time ...  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

isawlogs

What I have is very similar to the pully in this link, I also have the automatic release shown at the bottom of the page.

http://www.portablewinch.com/en/products/PCA-1270

I hate a site that does not put the price of there product there for all to see, one needs to fill out a long sheet to get a quote... I aint gonna do it.  >:(
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

apm

I made a trial run of self releasing snatch blocks a couple of years ago. I made about 20, set aside two for my personal use and sent out several for field testing and evaluation. The field tests were all very positive. We made a high quality version of the Farmi style block. It was completely American made (East Tennessee) with the exception of the bearing. It was a quality European bearing. We powder coated them, used all stainless steel hardware and fasteners and supplied them with an American made nylon sling. The sling can be easily changed out for a chain key as shown in the picture.

I had trouble finding any of these in stock and couldn't wait four weeks and pay the high price being asked.

If anyone is interested in any of the last 10 or so blocks, I'd be happy to pass them on to members for $150.00 each with 10% going to the forum. Jeff is aware of this offer and has been aware of the snatch block project since early on.

The only difference in the blocks being offered is that we zinc plated the pulleys on the ones we've got left instead of the yellow paint as shown in the pictures.

Let me know if you're interested,

Thanks,
Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Jay C. White Cloud

roger 4400

Hi. I bought mine 3 years ago from NOVA JACK products (look on the net) . The snatch block up to now resists to the maximum strenght of my Farmi winch (± 4 tons) . The pulley was $55 and the 4 tons resistance strap ( 8 ft long) was $25. Also got a logging cone $150. Many other logging products on this site. Good luck. Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Offthebeatenpath

Greg-

Nice looking handmade block! What is the sheave diameter (distance from inside of groove to inside of groove) and the sheave groove diameter?  What is the the max wire rope size that can be used?

Jed
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

John Mc

Greg -

That looks like something that will work for me, and I can't argue with half the price of a Farmi block.  I'll PM you with contact info and we can work out payment and shipping.  If you are trying to unload the rest of them, I can nose around with some friends and see if they are interested. (However, if you prefer to save them for your FF friends, I understand.)

I'd also like to get an idea of the overall size... is the sheave about the same size as the Farmi block?  I'm assuming that 3/8" or 5/16" chain will fit through your keyhole, right?

Just guessing at the size, I'm assuming it will fit in one of the Post Office "flat rate" boxes.

John Mc

g_man

This is the Farmi TP14

TP14

Self-releasing snatchblock for 3/8" to 9/16" winch cable.  The snatchblock has a 6 foot nylon strap, which reduces damage to the anchor tree.

FARMI SELF-RELEASING SNATCHBLOCK TP14

I assumed he made it pretty much the same and ordered one.

moosehunter

apm,
For those that have never used one,... how does it self release? I am imagining that when tension is let off the cable the cable falls off the pulley?
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

isawlogs

The one I use has a quick release that is on the rope, it is a peice pipe with ronded end that when comes around the pully it makes the rope fall off the pully. I have not used any with a wire rope but I think it must be the same , in the sense that when the bell of the chocker comes around the pully, it falls off making the self release, as I said I have never used one with a wire rope.

Marcel

apm

That's correct, there's a spring loaded latch that holds the wire rope on the sheave until the choker pushes the latch aside and releases. It is the same size as the Farmi.

It looks like four are spoken for, so far.

Thanks,
Greg
Timberking 1600 now

g_man

Well, I received my Self Release Snatch Block from apm yesterday. What a nice heavy duty unit. Very rugged.
I tryed it out today. Have never used one before so didn't know what to expect. The thing works great. What a time and energy saver it will be for me. I use blocks very often.
I am thinning a junky softwood stand as much for asthetics as any thing else so I want to pull all the stems out. I took a video of my first pull on a small log and here is a picture of the block after it is tripped.

Here is the video ( I hope )   http://youtu.be/wyvn5k5hokg

Thank you apm   :) :) :)

giant splinter

Nice video, I need one of those ..... We use snatch blocks but have never owned a self releasing type.
Thanks for sharing .... looks like you have it down very well.
roll with it

Offthebeatenpath

I just received my block from APM as well.  I have not had a chance to try it out yet, but I agree with Gman- it is a very well made and sturdy piece of gear.

Thanks for the video Gman. Sometimes a video is worth more words than a picture.

Jed
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

John Mc

I got mine as well.  Very well made unit. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but I'm sure it will work out fine.

Thank You Sponsors!