iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Bookcase (sliding dovetails)

Started by Dan_Shade, February 28, 2013, 09:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

i'm putting in a shiplap back on the case.  the individual boards can be seen in the first photo of post #20

I bought a FUJI HVLP spray system.  I'm working on a turn table so I can spin the whole works to put some lacquer on it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WmFritz

Very impressive, Dan. I really love the color.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

m wood

Wow Dan, that maple absolutely pops with the linseed finish.  Nice boards you chose, nice work all around!
Mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

grweldon

Beautiful!  I love the way figured maple "pops" when a coat of finish goes on!  I couldn't quite tell what method you used to assemble the doors.  M&T?  Half-lap? Sliding dovetail?  Looking forward to admiring the finished project as I'm sure you are also!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Dan_Shade

the doors are mortised and tennoned.

I tried something new on this project.  I used liquid hide glue with the thoughts that if the piece needs repair someday, the hide glue would facilitate the fix.

before I have always used a titebond glue.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

downsouth

Looks good.
  What did you thin the oil with?
   Is it pure linseed oil,or BLO?

Dan_Shade

boiled linseed oil thinned with mineral spirits, 1 part each.

I made a turntable yesterday which should spin the whole works. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZAKbuiAMwo

ancjr

Reminds me of a simplified Craftsman style, and very nice!

How are you liking the Fuji?  Ive always wanted one, but don't do enough painting of film finish to really need one....   :D

ron barnes

That is going to be a very nice bookcase.  You don't see doors on a bookcase very often.  Classy for sure.  The turntable looks like it will stand a lot of weight.  Great work.

Dan_Shade

I've determined I need some good practice to get good at spraying.  I ended up with some orange peel and rough surfaces.  I'm pretty sure it was operator error.

I wet sanded the pieces, which was a pain.  I don't think I went through anywhere.

but at any rate, this is where I am at.  I still need to get and install the glass.

and my stamp on the piece.

SwampDonkey

Excellent. I knew an old fellow that made a book case years ago, very similar in design. Nice piece.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Very nice.  That piece will become an heirloom for sure.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dablack

Lots of times I see a project posted and I think it is great work but I always find something that I would probably do a little different. 

Not this time.  I wouldn't change a thing.  Beautiful work. 
Building my own house in East TX

thecfarm

Like the way you signed it.Who is the lucky one getting that nice piece of work?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

Looks better every time I check out this thread. Beautiful ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Dan_Shade

thanks for the kind remarks!

It's far from perfect.  I have a lot of room for improvement in my finishing skills, but I'm happy with it.

My mother would find no fault in it, haha.

I ordered the glass for it earlier today $94!  goes along well with the $90 in finishing supplies and $60 in brass supplies.

I used hinges from Horton Brasses.  they aren't cheap, but they are very nice.

SwampDonkey

If you put all the effort and time into a piece, you gotta use the good stuff.   ;D Locally I have no great quality or choice, so everyone knows where I shop from.  8)

Is the hide glue in granular form that your using? Was going to use it on a chair build.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Very nice Dan! If it don't turn out like you want....I'll take it!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

I think it looks Great, Dan.  Very nice job you did. smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

jamesamd

Very nice Dan  ;)
I am eagerly awaiting the finished pics.
What type of glass did You choose?

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Dan_Shade

WDH

I also use hardware from Horton Brasses.  Putting cheap Home Depot hardware on a fine piece diminishes it.  This is a fine piece that deserves the quality glass and hardware.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!