iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar entry door

Started by Larry, February 28, 2013, 01:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Kathy asked if I was ever going to build a front door on our new house.  As I said "Yes dear" I was thinking the OSB was doing an excellent job as a front door and why build something nobody ever uses. ???  And the fish might be biting too. :)  On with the job.

I had sized the rough opening for a normal 36" door and two side lights.

We had decided on red cedar but I was a bit concerned with warp so decided to use stave core construction.  I found on the internet several have used lvl's so decided to take that route.  They are easy to obtain at real lumber yards as they are used for garage door headers.  Most common are 1 3/4" X 11 7/8".  They seem a bit expensive at $4 per running foot.

From the lumber yard the lvl's have a yellow wax coat which I needed to get rid of.  A quick trip through the planer took care of that problem.

Next step was to rip them up for proper grain orientation.

Glue up with cedar edges.

I ran the stave across the jointer to insure a flat surface, than through the planer on the second side.  Face veneer waiting to be glued on.  The faces aren't really veneer as they are too thick at a 1/4".

I sized the stiles just as one would do with solid lumber.  Besides the stiles I am laminating solid stock together for the jams.  More on that later.

Today I thought I would work on the side lights.  They are simpler than the door and less wood involved if I mess up.  I forgot to mention that I really don't know what I'm doing :P so suggestions are encouraged.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

clww

Looks to me like you're doing a fine job, Larry. Thanks for posting, as I will eagerly follow future posts. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Sidelights,I would suggest both sides and the full length of the door. I have one like that and I feel it really adds alot to the front of the house. I see most only have them half way or only one side. The ones on both sides and full length makes the house. drive around and see what you both like,we did.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

I stopped by larrys earlier today and got to see the whole set-up. I sure do envy all his awesome tools  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Larry

I really enjoyed the visit today Jake.  Stop by anytime.  Jake brought some kind of funny wood today and we re-sawed some thin slices on the shop bandsaw.  The sawdust was a quite pretty golden color.

thecfarm, I'm making two sidelights, one for each side.  Glass is nearly full length.  I'm still not sure on the design for the door.  Hoping for some kind of vision to come up forthright.

Today I cut the rails for the side lights.  Cut the tenon's on the tablesaw tenon jig.  I was pushing it for that wide of rail.  It would have been just as good cutting the tenons with a dado blade I think.

Cut a dado in the rails and stiles to accommodate the glass.  I'll machine off one side of the dado after glue up with a router.

Next was the mortises.  Made a story stick to locate the mortises.  A quick fit up showed a tight fit so I'll need to touch up the tenons a bit.

I also found I need some more cedar for the door rails.  As one would guess its on the bottom of the stack and outside where its frigid.  Tomorrows project.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

SwampDonkey

Wowsers  :o What are you up to? Looks like the rocket science of door design. :)

I know a whole lot less about what your doing, so that about makes it even. :D

Looking good, Larry. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lud

Stable and precise.  Very impressive.  Going to look great, Larry.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

jueston

looks great, can't wait to see it all come together.

WDH

The LVL core was a super good idea.  When I saw that yellow sawdust, I figured that you were going to sport one of the very very few Bodark entry doors in North America  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

I put a little red neck "V" detail on the rails and glued things up.

I turned the dado I cut yesterday into a rabbet for the glazing.  Used a router pattern bit with bottom bearing.  Lot of sawdust.  It gets 1" thick insulated glass. 

Need to make the muntins to hold the glass in.  Think I'll also peg the joints with square pegs to add more detail.

Un-stacked cedar today to find the rest of the lumber I need for the door.  I'll get started on that maybe Sunday.

clww

I like that garage door standing rack. 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looking good Larry.......but the garage door looks like you might be building this over at Hackberry Jake's.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

hackberry jake

There is actually a good possibility that the same people installed both doors... 8)

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Norm

Looks great so far Larry!

My front door I made turned out so well I had Pella build me the replacement.  :D

SwampDonkey

Always thought of making an inside entrance door, but not an outside door for the house. If I had a camp I would make an wooden outside door, but I'd have a big old porch over it. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

For me this is a jaw dropping project.  Awesome for sure.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on March 04, 2013, 01:45:56 PM
For me this is a jaw dropping project.  Awesome for sure.   :)

and a lot of work, but will look nice when done ,good work Larry
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

It is a brave project for sure.  About in the same class as Sprucebunny tearing down that washing machine  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I think it will look nice. From the photos it looks like your cedar is quite well behaved. Wood doors can be a pain in the ash as far as weathering on the outside of a building, but they sure look nice for awhile.  :)

I was at a camp once on a small river here in NB and the old camp had been torn down. The new camp was 100 % white cedar, even the door and the porch. It was build with large timbers not 2x material. That was some nice fishing camp. And the bonus surprise, was stepping out in the yard and seeing birdseye figure in the yard maples. That is one of two camps I know of with figured maple trees in the yard. I believe both are crown leased lots.

Don_Papenburg

I used shelac on the outsides of my doors . The shelac needs redoing every few years depending on the exposure.  The good thing about shelac is it just needs cleaning dirt off and then recoating will melt into the old coat.  My front door was made of walnut 3/4 veneer and a 3/4 plycore that I glued up myself.  I used a vacuum bag instead of clamps .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

tyb525

Very impressive. Have you noticed any adverse affects on your bits and blades from the LVL?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Larry

Norm, I'll keep my OSB just in case this door doesn't work out. :D

Swamp, I don't think any wood door can last unless it has some kind of protection.  This door is going in a little alcove with about a 4' roof overhang.  When you think about it if a door warps even as little as 1/8" it's going to let the weather in.  Hopefully the LVL's will prevent that.

Don, I'm thinking about using Eplfanes marine varnish.  Not real excited about it, as they call for something like seven coats.

Tyb, I used to dread running any kind of glue up or man made materials through my planer.  Since getting a spiral head I've run all kinds of stuff through it with no ill effects.  I'm sure the LVL's are hard on my mortise chisel.

Good thing for my story stick today or I would have had a real funny shaped door.  Nuff said about that.

I got all the parts cut and joinery completed for the door today.  Tomorrow I should get it glued up.  Spent most of the day working on it.  I think I'm slow. ???

hackberry jake

I can't wait to see the final product!

Larry

When dry fitting, before glue up this morning I found one tight joint and the rest fit near perfect.  Took a few minutes and got that adjusted.  I cut my mortises an extra ΒΌ" long to facilitate fit up.  I marked all the joints with masking tape to make it easier and faster to adjust with when I get the glue on.

I worked out my design.  Raised panels in the bottom and glass in the top.  Pretty simple, but fits my  experience level.

Glue up went smoothly except for one problem.  The glue made the joints a little stiffer and I couldn't pull them together with the K body clamps.  I have a bunch of heavy duty "I" beam Hargrave (really old school) clamps.  Put one on each end of the door, than it was just an easy twist to pull everything together.  Once together it really doesn't even need the clamps.

The forecast is for great weather next few days :)  Got logs to skid and fish to catch so I doubt I will work on it much until it rains first of next week.

Thank You Sponsors!