iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford 9n with loader?

Started by 4speed, February 28, 2013, 12:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4speed

A friend from church recently finished a restoration on a Ford 8n and wants to sell his 9n. I have no experience with tractors but figured it would be handy on our 4.5 acres. The tractor needs rear tires, smokes "sometimes", and has a good working Dearborn loader on it. He's also throwing in a mower. He is asking $500. Is this a good deal?

beenthere

Might be a good starter tractor to "learn" about them. Not a bad price if'n you don't have a lot of mechanical work that needs to be done.
What plans do you have for the tractor?
The loader would be handy for some things, but picking up manure that isn't too heavy (you don't have power steering) is about what they are good for. Or a sub for a wheelbarrow. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4speed

I would mainly use it for mowing and moving dirt around. I might even get a plow and play with it. I rented a small backhoe a few weeks ago and thoroughly embarrassed myself with it. I could use a little "learning."

giant splinter

Ford 9N is a great old rig and you can still get the parts ....... go for it
roll with it

4speed

Thank yall. Going to pick it up in an hour. I don't have a problem turning wrenches. If I can keep my Falcon running, I can probably manage this tractor. ;)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Like Giant Splinter said, parts are easy to get. And if you can keep a Falcon running,  :D...there is no doubt you can keep this 9n going.
500 dollars is an extremely good price around here.

Post some pics when you get a chance.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LeeB

If you don't want it, I do. Does that answer your question?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

$500 :o Buy that tractor before someone else does. Mower? What type? Load up the rear tires with something when you put the new ones on. Loaded tires is almost as bad as blade lube and oil wars.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

4speed

I'm not sure what kind of mower it is. I've got alot of research to do on it. My friend is delivering it this evening.  :) I will try to get pics and post them tomorrow when I am back at the office. We don't have internet service out in the boonies.

DaleK

I'd be more concerned about the price of the tires than the price of the tractor. Around here you'd be looking at $1200-1500 for two rears mounted on a 9n
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Ljohnsaw

Granted it is close to 20 years ago now, I had a new tire with a new tube mounted for about $200, probably less. That was at a time my big M/S on the Blazer cost $100 a pop. Shouldn't be much more then that. Go direct to the big rig tire place.  AWESOME price.

Couple more things:  check the clearance in the fenders - get as wide a tire as you can fit/afford. Trust me. Also, order the tube with the water stem. You might not fill the tires with water, but at least you could. (You really should :) )
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Sonofman

I would think the mower alone would be worth 500. I bought one for my JD model B about 12 years ago and it was about 750 at TS.
Located due west of Due West.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 28, 2013, 06:33:51 PM
Granted it is close to 20 years ago now, I had a new tire with a new tube mounted for about $200, probably less. That was at a time my big M/S on the Blazer cost $100 a pop. Shouldn't be much more then that. Go direct to the big rig tire place.  AWESOME price.

Ha you can't touch any new tractor tire for 200 bucks. If you can find a deal 9n rear tires (either 11.2 or 12.4x28) your probably going to be in the 400 dollar per tire range plus tube and mounting.

Edit: your best bet would be to find a decent used set on wheels and tires off a Ford 2/9/8N or a Ferguson TO/TE 20/30 that somebody is parting out. Even way UP north here in the middle of no where that tire/wheel combination turns up frequently.

Corley5

12.4X28 6ply Titan at Bluewater Tire $295.00.  No tube or labor.  We blew one on our 8N many years ago and it just so happened that we witnessed a low boy lose it's tire near the Fox River on M-28 that same weekend.  Upper Lakes Tire in Gaylord took it on trade and the new tractor tire and tube cost 50 bucks.  That was in the early 80s  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguy21

Quote from: Corley5 on February 28, 2013, 05:10:30 PM
It's a steal at 500 bucks
No kidding. Can't even buy one for parts at that price around here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

r.man

Good price around here, look for used tires or if they aren't going flat, ignore them. If you need to do anything with the 9N ignition ask someone who knows or look it up on the internet. Easy to work on when you know the trick, horrible if you don't.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Al_Smith

It's a real good price .A Dearborn loader will not lift much which is a good thing because unlike Harry Furgeson who used a steel support member to hold the front axle ,Henry Ford used a cast iron oil pan .

They're not a bad little tractor for what their intent was .Must be tough because a zillion of them are still earning their keep .

As far as finding used tires for a little Ford or Fergey they're like looking for a hens tooth .You don't neccessarily need 6 ply tires anyway ,the originals  were 4 ply and they lasted 40- 50 years before the side walls blew out .Besides that those were cotton corded tires.The new ones are a lot better .

chet

I bought an 8N with a wagner loader, 30 years ago with a shot engine and rottin' tires for $800. Probably the best investment I ever made.  8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

shinnlinger

My Neighbor hasa 9-N and You cannot go wrong at that price as it is worth more than that in parts as other have stated.  It sounds like the guy you getting it from is also a friend and probably a good resource for knowledge keeping it going if he just restored an 8 N.

The good news is you can get any part you need for it brand new if it comes to that and there is tremendous support for it.

If your mowing with it, it does not have a separate PTO clutch and the momentum of the mower can push you into trouble thru the PTO in a emergency stop situation. The goods news is you can  get a one way adaptor to slip over the output shaft so it will ratchet instead of push in that situation.

Take it slow and good luck!

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Al_Smith

That contraption is called an over run coupling .

FWIW I sold an 8N I got  as part of a horse trade deal over 25 years ago .It was just usable parts because the differential was out of it and I still got 800 bucks for it .At the time that little Ford was worth 1400-1600 and it would have taken another 800 in parts to fix it so it would have been a break even deal .

shinnlinger

Back in the day, they made kits where you could put a 6 or an 8 cylinder ford in them.  Those kits now rare and expensive (as well as the flathead v-8)  but I have seen newer kits where you can put in a 5.0 or chevy small block for reasonable and of course the motor themselves can be had for $500 or less so it may be cheaper to swap motors than rebuild the one you you have.  I wonder if a 4.3 chevy v6 would work since it has the same bolt ups as it's v-8 big brother.  You don't need 300 hp going to the ground in a 9-n!!!!

I might suggest a roll bar in the back and must comment that the loader is a score for safety as well as function as it will help keep the front end on the ground.

:christmas:
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

samandothers

I learned a lot about tractors on an 8N.  As said when you have much weight on the back you will learn to steer using the brakes.

Al_Smith

I know a guy that had an Opal engine fitted into an 8N .Sounds good  but remember that thing was originally around 22 HP and the Opal was 65 .The flat head Ford 8ba V8's were around 100 .

Stands to reason that just like installing a Ford 289 in a CJ-2 Jeep designed for 65 HP the drive train will suffer .The guy with the Opal broke several axles and a 8N Ford has a fair sized pair of them .It would run down the road at over 50 MPH though if that accounts for anything .How he kept it on the road I'll never know . :D

tractormanNwv

For 500.00? You really can't go wrong with that. All N-Series are easy to work on and maintain, Here in the hills where I'm at anything besides a 9-N or 2-N  is good, but your probably on flat ground so having a brake pedal beside the clutch pedal won't bother you so much. There is a section on    Yesterdaystractors.com   that is dedicated to the N-Series Fords, you can find answers to all your ?'s there. It will be a front mount distributor, and they are a bear sometimes to work on with the distributor on the engine......but, if my memory is correct all you need is a 1/2 inch wrench / socket-rachet and take the bolts out that hold it to the front of motor, and just lay it out on the bench and just go through it, replace / adjust the points, / coil, do it all and just bolt it back up......just LOOK at the alignment on the camshaft and distributor and you will see it is basically impossible to get out of time, I have to give Henry credit on that. If there is excess slop in the steering box you should find adjustments on both sides of the steering box, just a real simple little tractor that will pay for itself in no time.

Jim

Thank You Sponsors!