iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beware of Barbed Wire!

Started by WmFritz, February 28, 2013, 11:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WmFritz

While snowmobiling the other day with my Wife, something caught my eye that didn't look quite right. We stopped our sleds, walked back for a closer look and found this poor guy.

There was a snowbank about 2' away and it looked like he had tried to jump the fence and misjudged a bit. smiley_airfreshener
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

drobertson

Never seen that before, kinda sad for the critter, but, oh well, what are skunks good for anyway?  really, what do they do? besides smell up the place,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Riggs

Ouch, that'd be a rough way to go...
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

beenthere

Better the skunk than a snowmobiler who doesn't see what appears to be a single strand wire.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

That is truly odd. Lots of animals die each year in the woods by various means, but this is the first time I've seen this.
drobertson-Skunks are good at "clean-up" work, similar to possums, crows, and buzzards. They are bad for eating chickens, spraying dogs/people. etc. Pros and cons for every critter.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

tyb525

I broke both my arms riding a dirtbike through a new strand of barbed wire I couldn't see, and didn't used to be there ::). My arms snapped the wire. :o
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Axe Handle Hound

Dang, can't help but feel bad for that skunk.  Not a good way to go.  I once freed an 8 point buck that was caught in a barbed wire fence and had been there for at least several hours.  His hind leg didn't make it over the top wire, but did go over the second strand so when he finished his jump the wires twisted and pinched his ham between them so tight he just hung there with his front hooves barely touching the ground.  My brother and I just happened to drive by and notice him so we unwired the strands from the fenceposts on either side to take the pressure off.  He hit the ground and took off on 3 legs faster than I would have ever believed possible.  I imagine he had quite a cramp in that rear leg.   :)

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

drobertson

clww, I hear you, and agree on the clean up, but around 16 years ago, while we were still living in the trailor, I had a skunk follow me home after a day out bow hunting, (not knowing he(she) was trailing me) dag on thing moved in! between the air duct, and subfloor, at the bathroom vent! in our bedroom! 2 weeks of hearing the thumping feet, the smell was a bit much, finally got it out, what a chore, ended up selling the trailor, and I could still smell it, but the buyers said they could not, so, it sold and we built our house, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

That's too bad.I may kill vermits,but they don't suffer like that dying.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

this past hunting season bow there was a bunch of guys trying to get a BIG 7 point buck i was at a freinds house when the law went flying by then heard shots we went up the road there was the buck front feet 2-3 feet off the groung it got stuck on a metel fence with points ontop the fence was about  7-8 feet tall the guy that owened the house said the deer had made the jump lots of times but he said thats what happens when you go running for your girl  the deer was 175 gutted

SPIKER

Back in the mid 80's we found a BIG barn Owl hung up in a 3 wire fence.   He probably was after a mouse in the field & missed seeing the fence.   His wings were both caught on a barb head was under the fence with the wire over his back under both wings over the wire hooked on the barbs in his arm pits...   That was Pre Raptor Rescue places and he sure was cranky.   We managed to get him off the fence but he couldn't fly.   We tried to keep him going & fed him goat meat bat after about 3 weeks it was too much and it died.   :(  It sure tried to make it and did manage to eat but infection set in and he was a bit too cranky to get close enough to to keep salve & antibiotics on.   

the worst one I seen was this one on the TBN today in Rural Forum under Deer Population.
WARNING guys Clicking the LINK below will make your EYES Water!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/rural-living/305810d1362081016-deer-population-not-going-grow-img950769.jpg

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

clww

Quote from: coxy on February 28, 2013, 07:23:43 PM
this past hunting season bow there was a bunch of guys trying to get a BIG 7 point buck i was at a freinds house when the law went flying by then heard shots we went up the road there was the buck front feet 2-3 feet off the groung it got stuck on a metel fence with points ontop the fence was about  7-8 feet tall the guy that owened the house said the deer had made the jump lots of times but he said thats what happens when you go running for your girl  the deer was 175 gutted
Maybe that buck was running from the law! Those high-speed chases never end well. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!