iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

splitter block lifter

Started by r.man, February 27, 2013, 10:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.man

So I am torn as to what kind of a lift to put on my splitter for heavy blocks. Popped something in my shoulder last week and I'm having trouble lifting more than 80 lbs without pain so it went up on the to do list. I don't want to add a valve and cylinder at this point but I was wondering if anyone has one that uses the splitting cyl to lift a block? I have a fairly standard home made splitter, I beam, fixed wedge and pusher that slides on the top of the I. My first thought is a cradle that clamps on the bottom of the I and either a cable or arm set-up that uses the pusher on the back stroke to power it. Run the pusher out, hook on a cable or rod and when it retracts the block gets cradled up. I suppose if it was hooked low on the side of the pusher it could be left hooked up while splitting. Any experiences out there?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

dave_dj1

They used to have boats with cable drive. I suppose you could sketch out the layout, a pulley would have to be mounted sideways and I think, a high lifting point on the lifter.
Probably have to hook it to the end closest to the wedge as to have enough travel.
I think it can be done.
Or you could build a cam and linkage maybe?

DaleK

Try leverage. A platform on a hinged arm with long handles on the other side of the pivot and something th hook the handles under to lock it up
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

John Mc

What about an unpowered lift mechanism, just using a longer lever? You could set it up for either a lever that you lift on, or one with a pivot in the middle, that you push down on, so your body weight helps. In either case, you'd need some sort of latching mechanism to hold it once you got it up.  I could swear I've seen photos of something like this here on FF, but can't find them.  Not sure if it was on a splitter, or on a small scale log trailer (something that was pulled behind a large riding mower, or a small tractor)

I'm also wondering about using one of the spring assisted "balancers" we had where I worked.  You could get them in different weight ratings.  We used them to hook large hydraulic wire cutters on (which might have weighed 20 or 30 pounds or so??)  We left the cutters permanently attached to the balancer, but you could hook up a set of log tongs or something.  Push the tongs down to the log, and let the balancer lift it -- or at least help lift it, in the case of larger logs.  The advantage of this is that it works at your pace. No waiting for a winch or cylinder to move.  The disadvantage is that the balancers are set for a specific amount of mechanical assist (20 pound, or 30 pounds, etc), so you'd still be doing some of the lifting on larger logs.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

yellowrosefarm

I use a pair of skidding tongs and the front end loader on my tractor. My sister uses the 3 point hitch carryall. Load on ground by rolling the big ones on and raise to the height of the splitter. Before I got my tractor, I threw up a small dirt birm and rolled them up that. (My splitter was pretty low to the ground). You could build a lift arm/table and use an electric linear actuator instead of hydraulic, but without a way to charge the battery from the engine, you would have to carry it back to the house every night. Another way would be to use a hydraulic jack with a long handle for the table lift instead of a cylinder, or a regular cylinder and a hydraulic hand pump. Or, get a used motor hoist (cherry picker) and a set of tongs. Take the wheels off, dig a little trench for the bottom legs to sit flush with the ground, roll the logs under the hook, lift and set.

DaleK

Something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/high-lift-riding-mower-atv-jack-60395.html would be a solution if it would lift high enough for you.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Happycamper

I split a lot of white birch which is a fairly heavy wood and when I get a 2 or 2 1/2 foot chunk I just roll it up a short plank. Done it for years and it works ok.
                                        Jim

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

beenthere

What I've found to be quick as anything is just fire up the chainsaw and break the big ones down to liftable size.
Sure, loses some wood in kerf, but saves the back. I do the same with knarly crotches at large limbs and such. Grab the saw and shortly there are two to four movable pieces.

The other aid is the handy carrier that I got from Bailey's which really is a back saver too. Has the hooks on the ends with a rubber hose connecting them. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

r.man

Happy, my brother said the same thing about a plank and his splitter. That is looking like plan B or maybe plan A and if it works well enough I won't bother with anything else. I do really like the idea of a lifter powered by the splitting pusher though since it calls to my sense of economy.I am inspired by the lift on the Logrite processor that uses a winch on the splitter motor and I also saw this homemade processor. It is fairly slow but uses an electric winch to load logs end ways or from the side, cycle logs and lift large blocks to the splitter. The fellow just redirectes the cable for the needed function. Some very good use of leverage and ingenuity, it mostly lacks hydraulic volume for speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=N7G1IkfcM-U
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!