iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

storing firewood

Started by chuck172, February 27, 2013, 08:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck172

Because of hurricanes, I'm loaded with firewood. More than I need for now. I have sold some, but I have a woodstove and tarm boiler that I need to feed.
I need to store wood. For years if possible. I have mainly oak, some maple, ash, and poplar.
I'm thinking bout 10 foot log lengths off the ground. How long can I expect this wood to last?

clww

As long as it is kept dry (preventing decay, rot, and fungus) and keeping the bugs out, it should last many years.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

The poplar I would burn first. I don't think it would last like the rest. I thnk maple next ? than ash? Here I have red for oak. That stuff will last the longest. I don't know where you live,so I'm just saying what would work in Maine.Too bad you did not have some old tin kicking around to keep the weather off it. What are you piling 10 foot wood with? How long will it last? Could last 5 years,but you will have rot. May have a hard time drying it too at that time. I had some hardwood here that was piled up outside,maybe a half of a cord, in 8 foot lenghts,I think it was about 3 years when I got back to it. It was kinda rotting.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chuck172

To delay the rot, I guess I should time when the log length should be bucked, then again time the point when to split.
By the way, I'm in N.E Pa.

r.man

I know someone who is burning 5 yr old firewood stored cut and split and piled in single rows outside with a tarp on the top only. He says that it burns fine and he has many years or experience. I believe he is building up a supply for when he can no longer cut but can still load his stove.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

beenthere

Quote from: chuck172 on February 27, 2013, 09:33:36 AM
To delay the rot, I guess I should time when the log length should be bucked, then again time the point when to split.
By the way, I'm in N.E Pa.

The wood won't rot if you get it dry. It won't dry in the log, so it needs to be split, dried, and then kept dry.
Seems the only sure way to do that is split, stacked (piled) under a shelter on dry ground.

I split, stack on pallets, and cover the top with rubber roofing material. Usually burn it within 3-4 years and don't have any problem with rot (other than the pallets where in contact with the ground will start to decay).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

To add to the drying part,I drive by a guy that cut and split his wood and stacked it in one long pile about 4 feet wide and maybe head high and piled the wood to make a peaked roof and covered it with a blue tarp. The side were uncovered. This I think is only for a season,just about how long the blue tarp will last too,but a good idea.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chuck172

Interesting, I thought maybe log length would take longer to rot than bucked and split.
I'd really like to bank this wood for 5 years or so. I'm 60 now and this stuff is getting harder and harder.

John Mc

I second Beenthere's recommendation:  Log length wood does not dry very well. I'd get it cut, split, stacked off the ground and drying as soon as possible.  Cover the top only, or even put it under a roof. 

I've got a lean-to roof off the back of my garage that has no walls on three sides.  I let the wood dry outside for 6 months to a year (including one summer), with some old plywood, metal roofing, or a narrow sheet of plastic laid across the top. I like to get it dry before staking in tight rows, since stacking rows tightly can slow the drying process and cause some mold to get started.  I then move it in under the roof. I've seen several years with no signs of rotting... I'm sure I could go longer, but I tend to use it quicker than that.  If I didn't have a roof to put it under, I'd just leave it covered (top only) outside.  If it were going to be for an extended period, I might put a top over it that had more of an overhang, to help keep rain off the sides of the stack.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

chuck172

All good info: To store firewood for as long as possible:
get it dry, cover it to keep it dry.
Best not to leave in log lengths, but to buck, split, stack and cover.

CTYank

Nobody's yet mentioned to stack it so it's all exposed to the summer & fall breezes. Major help for air-drying, most especially for the slow-drying species like red oak.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Sonofman

I concur that it needs to be cut, split, then stacked out of the weather, either under a roof or under some sort of other covering if no roof is available. I have some oak that is 4 years old. It has been stored under a lean-to like John Mc out of the weather. Most of it still has its bark on it. If kept like this, I think it would definately last longer than log length.

Down south here, it is not so critical about stacking where sun and wind can get to it. I have frequently cut and split green oak at the end of May, and burned it the end of October, it will be completely dried in that timeframe.
Located due west of Due West.

Thank You Sponsors!