iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Helllo

Started by iamrandyinsc, February 26, 2013, 03:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamrandyinsc

Wanted to say hello!

I've been browsing and reading the past two weeks, building my own mill is quickly becoming an obsession.  I've went back and forth between a csm, a band saw and a swing blade.  Just wanted to say hi, and I'm sure I'll bug you guys in the near future when I finally start the building.

Well you wanted to do it....

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Whichever mill you decide on, someone on here has experience to help you with.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Randy!

Lots of info on this site!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum! Keep us posted on your build.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hi Randy. Welcome to the FF.

What part of S.C. are you from?

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

STUMPKICKER

Welcome Randy to a great site. Iffin' when ya needs the help, we're all ears.

iamrandyinsc

Thanks for the welcome!!

I'm thinking of really making a death saw.  8)  I have a working Harley Evo motor and tranny that I'm really considering turning into a swing..

David,

I'm in Greenwood...not to far from you, couple of hours max.

Bogue Chitto

Welcome, and good luck on your mill.

drobertson

Howdy Randy, welcome, and look foward to seeing the build as it happens,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dgdrls

Welcome aboard!,  great site fantastic folks!! 8)

DGDrls

m wood

Welcome Randy, you will find some good great advice around here.  Hmmm, death saw huh?  With harley motor and power train...interesting!  As has been said, pictures make it real to all of us.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

pasbonbasile

welcome to the group, good and knowlegabel peeps here.
thirteen- tractors, one combine, no mill yet. Looking for one. Used -to have a wm lt4hdg25
Update 9-27-15 now have WM LT40 Super Hyd. used (1996) but back into sawing. Mostly pine and oak.

lyle niemi

WmFritz

Welcome Randy... looking forward to watching your project come together. A Hog sawmill  smiley_eek_dropjaw

That thing would sure sound cool. 

I made my own bandsaw mill and enjoy everything about it.

Good luck ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Tronvik

Good luck, I built a small band mill in 1998. It was more fun building than running :). No pictures(evidence) it looked good but was far from efficient.
1984 lt30, john deere 750

iamrandyinsc

Well the little lady put a stop to that plan with the Hog saw, said it would be "cool" for about 15 minutes and then the noise would be too loud and she wouldn't want to hear that all day. lol  I didn't think of that, she asked my why I just didn't sell all my old motorcycle stuff and buy something already made. lol  Took the day off and putting everything on ebay and now I'm back to the drawing board.

So if you only had 3k, what would you do?  I have pine on my property none bigger than 2'. I want to cut 6x6's, 4x4's, and 2x boards.  My plan is to get as much wood as i can over the next 2 years to build with. There are about 20 acres of good trees. Am I being unrealistic? Should I get a mobile unit so I can scavenge other sites?   ??? ??? ???

I've been reading so much I've confused my self.....

thecfarm

iamrandyinsc.welcome to the forum. I would and do not not have enough smarts to build a mill to make good straight lumber. That's why I brought one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

m wood

what would I do?!  Well, I'm with thecfarm and I couldnt build one either.  I bought used for under 3k.  the saw will take near 30" logs and cut 19" boards on a good day.  How far along is your build tho?  are your logs 24" diamater, and what kind?  If so, those should make some decent lumber.  What projects are lined up?
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

iamrandyinsc

I was in the planning stage of a swing mill like the guy on utube, so I haven't started anything. I have a shop with a mig and tig welder and all of the tools and knowledge (neighbor haha) to build from scratch.

I was thinking of a used band, but my thinking is they are expensive to run (read a blade only lasts for 3 or 4 trees)

White Eastern Pine will be mainly ran, not over 24"

Projects:  Post and Beam garage to learn, then a 1200 sq ft cabin.

Was planning on building the saw on a concrete pad on the property(where the garage will go) and was gonna use my tractor to pull the logs to it.

Chuck White

Randy; I'm thinking you're way overboard on the price of a band saw blade!

You maybe do 3-4 trees (= several logs), then you resharpen the blade!

You'll get several resharps before the blade goes into the recycle bin!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dblair

welcome Randy in South Carolina . Right now I envy you , it's warmer there than here and I'm just tired of winter .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Seaman

Welcome Randy,
We have a Lucas up here in Old Fort NC. You are welcome to come up and spend the day running it.  ;D
Seriously, you should come up and put hands on, find a band mill and do the same thing. Gimme a call.
Frank. 
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Magicman

Hello Randy, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

iamrandyinsc

Thanks Frank, I just might take you up on that!

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a pretty smart wife. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!