iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member here

Started by KenPlum, February 26, 2013, 02:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KenPlum

HI I am new to the forum. I have never used a sawmill before and I just purchased a used Oscar 18 . I purchased a piece of land last year, and I have lot's of trees now so in order to make my wife's dream a reality I am going to build her a Log cabin . I like the forum but I am unable to look at other members profiles to see there pics and what not . is that due to not posting yet I assume that may be a way to prevent spam . but I am interested in learning all I can so I don't hurt myself or anyone else for that matter . so aside from this little mill which should suit my purpose I am unsure what else I should have I own cant hooks and three chain saws but is there anything I may be forgetting that you all may have come up against in all the years of experiences that are on this forum . I am willing to listen and take all your advice to heart .
Thanks Ken P.
1 Chronicles 22:15
Moreover, there are many workmen with you, stone-cutters and masons of stone and carpenters, and all men who are skillful in every kind of work.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Tell us about your plans.
With lots of trees, what are they? Age? Size?

How will you move them to the mill site?

What will the cabin be like? Full logs or D shaped?

Can you use the Search function?

You will be glad you got on board.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Welcome Ken!  You seem to have the basic necessities already.  As BT said, you will need a way to move logs.  That is possible with most any kind of vehicle, but it gets a lot easier with something that is more appropriate for the task.  The same principle applies to all facets of milling...the more and better stuff you have, the more and better stuff you can make. ;)

Let us know if you continue having trouble with the pics.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ken.

Always good to see another NY'r here!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

KenPlum

HI guys thanks for the response I am going to be moving them with my 4 wheeler at least the ones it can move i have a Polaris 800 4x4 that can move mountains .On my property I have a stand of Black Cherry that will not be ready for harvest for sometime like ten years some select cuts but the majority is still young and I am going to be thinning the rear lots that have mostly yellow birch and sugar maples I also have a stand with mostly Hemlock that I will be culling a large portion of them they are large and ready to go plus that stand needs a lot of thinning. I am interested in purchasing an ATV log skidder if anyone has any suggestions. BT I was able to use the search but not to look at a profile . As for the cabin BT I am still looking at the best way and I am not sure which direction I will go in yet if you have built cabins before and you have any suggestions I am all ears  say_what
Moreover, there are many workmen with you, stone-cutters and masons of stone and carpenters, and all men who are skillful in every kind of work.

KenPlum

Quote from: Chuck White on February 26, 2013, 03:08:54 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ken.

Always good to see another NY'r here!
thanks Chuck

KenPlum

Quote from: DanG on February 26, 2013, 02:45:36 PM
Welcome Ken!  You seem to have the basic necessities already.  As BT said, you will need a way to move logs.  That is possible with most any kind of vehicle, but it gets a lot easier with something that is more appropriate for the task.  The same principle applies to all facets of milling...the more and better stuff you have, the more and better stuff you can make. ;)

Let us know if you continue having trouble with the pics.
Thank you Dan I would like to be able to look at member profiles also !

clww

One of our sponsors, "Logrite" makes several. The sponsors are on the left side of the page, so just click on the icon with your mouse.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

hackberry jake

I have a neighbor that has built a few buildings with "D" shaped logs. You just cut three sides of the log and put the bark to the outside. Good luck on your sawdust addiction and welcome to the forum!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Ken.  :)

The FF is often imitated but never duplicated.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum Ken! Good luck.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

francismilker

Welcome aboard!  There's lots of good info here.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

drobertson

Howdy Ken, get ready to take notes,  be patient, and get ready to get started, welcome to the forum,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

STUMPKICKER

Good day Ken & welcome. Ya couldn't have found a better place to learn the fundamentals of sawmillin'.  :) 8) You & I have one & soon to be two things in common...a 30 acre piece of heaven & the saw bug. Can't think of a better affliction to have.  ;)  You'll have the bug as soon as you make yer first cut into a log.  8) 8)

m wood

welcome Ken, another NewYorker here.  I've built a few kit type log home, some good sized ones too.  Been in on 1 full scribe hand-crafted log home, that was an experience.  Thought about doing my own some day.  We've scaled back the hous plans to a cottage/rustic/stick built.  I figure my new sawmill will help more fully in that type of endeavor.  Again, good to meet you!
Mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

dgdrls

Welcome KenPlum,

You will find Great folks here, a wealth of knowledge too .

Nice to see another CNY'er on the board!

DGDrls

Mooseherder

I think what Ken is looking for is the picture link that gets inserted under your gender information in your profile.
If you haven't set that up in your profile.  He can't click on the icon to view your gallery.
Enabling a link to your gallery is a nice way to share the past pictures you've posted and makes it convenient for other members.
Please consider updating your profile. ;D

moandrich

I use a log arch to move logs with my Mule.  It works great, you would be amazed at what you can move.

woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

clww

That IS an impressive picture! 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Delawhere Jack

Ken, welcome to the forum. You'll learn a lot here on the forum, but you'll also learn a lot by milling. Start with some of the UGLEE-ER  logs, you'll learn a lot more milling an ugly log then a prime one, and when you mess up it won't be a big loss.

Sharp bands, winches, chains, nylon tow straps, assorted wood blocks and wedges, basic hand tools. You'll pick it up as you go along. The best tool ever invented is a second pair of hands, especially if they're connected to a strong body that will work cheap!

pasbonbasile

welcome to the group Ken, I too am like you, have land and looking for a mill. Had an LT40hd25 but due to other irons in the fire i had to get rid of it. Wish you luck and happy sawing...
thirteen- tractors, one combine, no mill yet. Looking for one. Used -to have a wm lt4hdg25
Update 9-27-15 now have WM LT40 Super Hyd. used (1996) but back into sawing. Mostly pine and oak.

thecfarm

Yes,he might be able to move them,but I think that Oscar is a manual mill??
kenplum,check with your town too. Make sure some code won't allow you to do that. Probaby when I first had my house built here it could be done. But now we have a building code officer and she is trying to run this small town like some big city.   ::)
Sounds like you are just about to live The Dream.   ;D
You will need someone to sharpen your blades and you will need blades on hand too.Wm has a resharp,but need 10 blades to send to them and they must be WM blades. I have a guy that does mine,$6 a blade.
I also think your logs will have to dry too. They will need to be sticked,kiln dried? Others know way more than I do about the drying part. Just want to get that out there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

Quote from: Mooseherder on February 26, 2013, 06:08:04 PM
I think what Ken is looking for is the picture link that gets inserted under your gender information in your profile.
If you haven't set that up in your profile.  He can't click on the icon to view your gallery.
Enabling a link to your gallery is a nice way to share the past pictures you've posted and makes it convenient for other members.
Please consider updating your profile. ;D

I just learned something  smiley_idea.
I wondered what that little camera icon was for.

Thanks for the tip Mooseherder and welcome Ken.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Skoalbandit78

Thank You Sponsors!