iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling a 10 degree cut on a 8x8 cant

Started by justinmay1982, February 26, 2013, 08:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinmay1982

I have a customer who wants 8x8's with a 10 degree cut out of the face. so basicly it would be roughly about 6" on top and 8" on bottom and one side. Anyone got any good ideas of how to do this on my bandmill. maby someone has come up with a good idea or seen this befor?  Thanks

Jim_Rogers

Cut out the 8x8 and then put a wedge under it. Draw the profile on the end grain and line the saw up to it.

Cutting wedges the long way isn't hard if you use the right height wedge under it.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

rmack

Jim; that looks like the poor man's way of cutting lap siding too.  ;)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

customsawyer

While you are cutting the 8X8 you can make some 1Xs to lay under one side of the cant then the other.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

millwright

I have cut a lot of siding with that same method, it really is pretty fast with 2 people.

drobertson

Justin, Jim has a good idea, scribe your line, and then wedge to match,  If you use a  1-13/32 block to lift the corner this should be close within a few thousandths, for a 10 degree,  this will make the top 6-5/8"s, 14 degrees will give you a 6" face on top,  I would follow Jims advice and scribe a line and match it to the blade just to make sure, If possible cut a few angle blocks and slide them under as jim illustrated,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: drobertson on February 26, 2013, 06:16:39 PM
Justin, Jim has a good idea, scribe your line, and then wedge to match,  If you use a  1-13/32 block to lift the corner this should be close within a few thousandths, for a 10 degree,  this will make the top 6-5/8"s, 14 degrees will give you a 6" face on top,  I would follow Jims advice and scribe a line and match it to the blade just to make sure, If possible cut a few angle blocks and slide them under as jim illustrated,  david

Are the 32nd's those REALLY SMALL lines on my tape measure?  ;D I wondered why they put them on there....now I know!

Either Jim or David's method should work. If you've got a lot of them to cut I'd go with the wedge method.

moandrich

Would it be better to cut 8 X 12 cants and cut them in half at 10 degrees. 6 and 8 cut off the cant would give you 6 and 8?
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

drobertson

Yea, I messed up, the stack up should be 1-3/8" for a 10 degree,  and if this is right?  then you would need a 8 x 13-11/32" cant for two, this is allowing a 3/32" kerf,  I would still scribe a line, but if the log would yield  this size cant, very doable.   Good idea Moandrich ,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

m wood

After you scribe the line and cut your first one, shouldnt you have the wedge for the rest of them?!.  You guys are perfectionists :D.  ??/32nds, really, My tape doesnt have lines that small, at least I can't see them until I get that lasik :D :D
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

drobertson

mwood, here again, another better idea, if you made the first cant say 9-1/2x8, then made the cut, yep there is the wedge, full length, smiley_idea, that's what makes this forum so good,  thanks man, 

Jim_Rogers

here is the way I see it:

I think you could do it like this....

Jim Rogers

drobertson

Looks good Jim, but unless my math is off, this would make the cant over 8", 8-1/8"  The 8" dim. should come off the cant, which would make your 8" leg a lil shorter?  either way it only amounts to less than a 1/16"   david

kensfarm

Draw out the dimensions on the log end..  cut the angle cut while the log is still round.. then slab the cant out.  Kinda backwards.. but it could work.   

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: drobertson on February 26, 2013, 09:34:32 PM
Looks good Jim, but unless my math is off, this would make the cant over 8", 8-1/8"  The 8" dim. should come off the cant, which would make your 8" leg a lil shorter?  either way it only amounts to less than a 1/16"   david

I don't see how you get that?
I drew a 8x8 square and rolled it 10° from the outside/log side corner to represent the way I would do it. Then I drew an 8" line from the rolled corner to represent the bed of the mill and from that line I drew a vertical line to represent the log upright.
I drew a line from the rolled corner to the upright and got the 1 7/16" measurement.
That was what I was looking for.
Then I drew the horizontal line at the top and measured the angle, to show it was 10° cut from one side.
If this isn't what the original poster wanted then he needs to respond and let us know what he needs.

Jim Rogers

drobertson

Jim, I just ran the sin function of the 10 degree angle, its all so close, as wood goes, probably would not matter anyway, I would like to see if you made the 8" dimension be the leg of the cant how that would change the numbers,

Jim_Rogers

I made a copy of the wedge and moved it down 8" to be able to dimension it:

In the top drawing you see a minus sign (-) after the 1 7/16" which means that the actual dimension is just a little less that 1 7/16". So I changed the level of accuracy to 32'nds of an inch.
And in the new dimension you can see a plus sign (+) after the 13/32"s which means it is just a little more then 13/32".

However for rough sawing it probably close enough.

Jim Rogers

justinmay1982

Wow guys thank you for the in depth responses this helps a lot. All great ideas i love it. The customer wants 1800 LF of this stuff. I really apriciate all the responses thanks to you all. Now the task comes of getting the logs and knowing what to pay for them. The customer wants pine logs now to start shoping around.

DaleK

For 1800 i think i'd forget the wedges and bolt some angle irons along your crossbars with locks so you could just flip them up and lock them at the right angle instead of taking wedges on and off and losing them
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

m wood

Justin, I dont have much good pine, would your customer consider Spruce?  We are only a half a state apart.  What optimal lengths are you needing for those 8" cants?  Didnt I read that you work with disabled folks for you day job? we have that in common too!  I train individuals with disabilities in a commercial recycling plant.  cool.  PM me if you want more info on the spruce.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Delawhere Jack

This thread is reminding me of an order my dad got once to build storage crates for rocket nozzles. They sent us 5 pages of detailed blueprints for what amounted to a 3' wooden cube with a hinged door on the front.

The prints showed all decimal dimensions with tolerances of.............................  +/-  .010"..........  :D :D :D :D :D

We explained that 1/16" tolerance was more reasonable, and we charged them dearly!!!  ;)

Peter Drouin

All cut with a ban saw, and you guys are talking about 1/32" of an inch, better have a sharp blade :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!