iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry Laurel (Prunus caroliniana) would you saw it into boards?

Started by caveman, February 25, 2013, 09:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

We have been clearing out some junk trees, mostly cherry laurel, and invasives like chinese tallow, china berry, and camphor trees in order to let some light get in and try to grow some grass.  I plan to mill a few of the larger camphor and china berries.  Some of the cherry laurels are big enough and straight enough to make decent sized boards.  What do you think about milling it?
Thanks, Caveman
Caveman

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

You could cut it thick for bowl blanks.  The bowl turning guys like to use different kind of stuff. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Red Clay Hound

I've milled some.  It has some interesting figure - a little like cherry but with fine dark lines in it.  It doesn"t want to dry flat however. :-\  I would mill it a little thick so you have plenty of material to plane.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

caveman

Thanks for the quick responses.  I will try to make some time in the next week or so to mill it.  I am curious to see what it will look like.  If it is terrible, I can always make stakes out of it for compass courses or setting up slopes for the land judging kids.
Caveman
Caveman

jd_odell

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Slabs

Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Better endseal thouroughly asap and mill asap. I had a few short bolts (24" long approx) that I picked up when a neighbor cut down a cherry laurel. I endsealed them and milled one up using my table saw and a handsaw. I left the others to do later. After two weeks the unmilled bolts had major checking. I'm thinking I'll make a froe and split them up and salvage some small pieces. The wood has a nice color and some nice figure.

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!