iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Entry Level Sawmills

Started by Dstrnad, February 25, 2013, 07:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dstrnad

Does anyone have any input on entry level mills. I am only aware of Hudson, Woodland, and the infamous HF. Anything else you better have $5000 by the time your done with tax, shipping etc.  If your spending that much you might as well spend a couple more for something that can do more. I have been searching for used on all the places I can think of with no luck. Are there any other new mills out there for under $3000

bandmiller2

If you have the room and the ability handset circular mills can be had for $3000.00 or less complete and you would have a real mill.Their not for everyone but its the most bang for your buck. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dstrnad

I have seen quite a few of those, they do seem like a lot of iron for the money. For some reason they scare me, is that just in my head or are they more dangerous that a band mill.

Dave

hackberry jake

Def more dangerous than a band mill, but It will make you think twice before you do anything so you might actually stay safer. I would look into ez boardwalk. They deliver to farm shows and usually don't charge tax because they are for "farm use"
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hunterbuild

I'm still milling with my $1700 HF. I just finished some 1x12s today. Doing a little cabin addition, all with wood I'm milling with free logs, bug pine. Now that I got the bugs out of the saw it is kicking butt. For some one milling and building its a good saw, you don't have to keep it going all the time  to pay for it. 

dgdrls

RedLeg

Leif
Retired U.S. Army
2010 Lumber Smith Elite and Track Kit
Shopsmith Mark 7 PowerPro

justallan1

I just got the Hud-son hfe 21 a couple months ago and really like it. It's the only portable bandmill that I have seen or used, but it does what it's supposed to and it's pretty simple to run. It's a great mill for it's intended use. It all depends on what your plans are with it.
I don't know your experience with mills, but whatever you buy make sure you check it out thoroughly and try to get with someone that has one and spend some time asking every last thing about it and if possible run it awhile. It may cost you a couple hundred, but that beats buying something you don't want.
If you need any specifics please feel free to ask.
Allan

Thank You Sponsors!