iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New plot tomorrow...

Started by Forrest277, February 25, 2013, 05:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forrest277

First off = Thanks to all who jumped on my last thread re:those 60yr pines ! all your advise was well recieved -respect.

You guys are the only ones who would appreciate this story so ... its a great feeling to know I start on a new plot tomorrow, 2.5 acres of really wild woods :°) _ private land, needing clearing to make room for a new house & produce material for building the house too.

Every last scrap of wood thats gets cut will be used for something, beams, to firewood even the sawdust ! (hes an eco guy and wants to collect the sawdust for a dry toilet system  :o
believe it or not !

I already scoped the plot and theres a huge mix of stuff at different ages, alot of chestnut - great for building, oaks ditto _ those pesky pines (some big uns) for interior finishing, and a bunch of other small things... you can count on me I'll be up like a lark tomorrow and at it with a smile too _ its just so damb good to work with wood...

If i remember I'll take my camera and post up a few shots _ i think you guys are mostly stateside, so maybe you like to see some french woods pics ... The woods have never been managed so it really is an into the wild kinda job ;)

There are no questions with this post just a story swap. 

Anyways I gotta file up for tomorrow peace

GF
==

Love my Husky ...

clww

If you're going to get up early, you'd better be off to bed, now. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Forrest277

Quote from: clww on February 25, 2013, 05:46:57 PM
If you're going to get up early, you'd better be off to bed, now. ;D

lol _ when shes done !
G
=
Love my Husky ...

Autocar

Your turning into a true logger  :D when you lay in bed at night and can't wait for morning to get at the new job. Been there plenty of times and it never gets old. Be safe and keep at it !
Bill

Forrest277

Quote from: Autocar on February 25, 2013, 06:56:11 PM
Your turning into a true logger  :D when you lay in bed at night and can't wait for morning to get at the new job. Been there plenty of times and it never gets old. Be safe and keep at it !

thanks sir ;°) _ had a great day cold but sunny... just one of the best days ever :°)

1.nice hefty pine taken at 4ft from base...

2.bottom of the hinge...

3. top of the hinge _ backcut used -   "swedish plunge/safe corner method"

4. pushed over loads of thinish Acacia (max diam.25cm)

5. unknown softwood (very very brittle) poss. fruit...

hope you like the pics

GF
==
Love my Husky ...

clww

Looks to me like your face cut (wedge) is very deep. I try to never go more than 1/3 of the way into the tree, normally much less.
Thanks for posting the pictures. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Forrest277

Quote from: clww on February 26, 2013, 06:39:58 PM
Looks to me like your face cut (wedge) is very deep. I try to never go more than 1/3 of the way into the tree, normally much less.
Thanks for posting the pictures. :)

i think the angle of photo is a bit deceptive for the depth, she fell on point, tipped nice off the wedges.
I give actual measurements of the cut depths I used which show I was within the third of diameter depth.

Tree diameter = 40cm, 70yo, 23m.

Facecut 12cm deep,

Hinge wood 8cm wide,

Back cut 20cm deep.

G)
Love my Husky ...

grassfed

QuoteI try to never go more than 1/3 of the way into the tree, normally much less.
Thanks for posting the pictures.

If the tree is leaning hard away from the direction of the fall you may need to go deeper if you want to wedge it over.
Mike

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Forrest277

Quote from: grassfed on February 27, 2013, 05:32:20 AM
QuoteI try to never go more than 1/3 of the way into the tree, normally much less.
Thanks for posting the pictures.

If the tree is leaning hard away from the direction of the fall you may need to go deeper if you want to wedge it over.

totally. _id be interested to see what you think of this method to build the hinge....
1. i start the back cut with two plunge cuts to define the back of the hinge
2. _ then quarter cut outwards _and wedge,
3.  final quater cut meeting the first plunge
4. _ wedge again lightly
5._  knock em in
6.  tidy up

this i find  is a good way to attack trees wider than the bar on your saw...

"swedish plunge/safe corner method"

thoughts ?

G)
=
Love my Husky ...

Thank You Sponsors!