iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Done...

Started by HiTech, February 24, 2013, 10:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

Done cutting them down for awhile. Time to put little holes in them and get some sweet gold. Got started in my little sugar bush today. Hopefully can boil in a few days. That is if Mother Nature approves. Time to smell the sweet maple sap boiling again. Last year the season was sooo short i don't know if I made enough to pay for the water for cleanup. lol Hopefully this year will be better. We don't need another March with a week of 70 to 80 degree weather.

clww

I think it's going to be a short season up here, too, for the second year in a row. Colder this year, but warms up too much during the day.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

colincb183

You guys must tap trees pretty early.  We usually don't start till early or mid March. Hopefully I can get out this weekend to see if trees are running.  Weather seems to be pretty good for sugaring right now though.  Good luck!

coxy

some of the guys down here started 2 weeks ago  dont know if the crew in hermon ny started to tap or not thay had a bad year to love the candy &cream good luck to every one

HiTech

I can remember for years it was the middle of March to the middle of April for Sugaring season. Some even went to May. Now February seems to be starting time. The climate is changing I guess.

bill m

I will be starting to set taps by the end of the week.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Mark K

We put in our taps about a week ago. Had a good run then it got cold. Sap was running pretty good today.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Ed_K

Finished up a 10 ac tsi job this afternoon,rita and i will start tapping on sat.I cut a lot of trees today and they weren't running much at all.
Ed K

Maine372

had some warm days here and I got excited. put in all 50 taps last week. now I have 8 inches on snow on the lids, not 8 inches of sap in the buckets.

plan to put my temporary shelter and evaporator this weekend and be ready for when it does run. kinda keeps good to be ahead of the game for once.

GAB

I'm not too sure about this global warming stuff.  Back in 1981 on Feb 18th my dad made a barrel (31.25 gallons) of syrup.  First time he had made that much syrup on his birthday.  You can boil a lot of sap with a 5 x 16 with good wood.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

One of these years we will have an old fashioned winter with an old fashioned spring. Probably many have never had a real good run. I don't do it,but I hope for a good season.
Maine372,baby growing?  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Anderson

Hey ya'll.
I don't post much and never in this forum but thought I'd chime in on the sugering talk!  8)

We tapped back around Jan 10 when we saw the woodpecker holes on the maples running....We pulled the taps last week after making 6 gallons of syrup..double last year which was our first.

We are just out of time for this year which is sad because the trees seem to still be running.....oh well next year.

pic of our little homemade setup

Hope ya'll have a good sugering season!! :) 8) ;D

Maine372

collected 11 gallons of sap today. hopefully a foot of wet snow wont pull the buckets off the trees.

baby is growing well, but shes not big enough to haul a sap pail yet.

thecfarm

Seems kinda early maine372,but if it's flowing that is good. there is always next year for the little one.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TessiersFarm

Ours are running in Skowhegan, ME.  I never tapped before March first until 3 years ago.  Last year was about done by first week of march.  Season also seams to be getting a little shorter.  I don't get all that hot and bothered by global warming but the seasons are definately changing.  This is all my personal observation, next year could be back to "normal", who knows.  I take it one season at a time.  Yards getting too muddy to cut wood so might as well burn some. 
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

clww

Anderson-The Maple Festival starts on the 9th up here. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

HousewrightVA

Taps are still in. Vacuum has been on for 60 days. Its been a good year.
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

thecfarm

Looks like Anderson is done,
Housewright,Around here the season has just started from what I see. How much longer will your season last?

loggah

Im going to tap out on sat. 2 years ago tapped on Feb.14th,last year feb 21, last year was a horrible year ,hopefully this year will be better. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thecfarm

loggah,tap out? Means all done?

JamesE. PikeLogging

I plan on tappin the rest of my bucket trees and all my trees on gravity this weekend also gonna get the new sugar shack finished up!

loggah

My brother and I can do it in one day, 200 buckets and 100 on tubing. I am going to set the buckets out at the trees tomorrow, and sat we will hang them. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

HousewrightVA

Cfarm we are starting a cold snap that I think will hold the buds for one more week. So I plan to pull taps and start cleaning Mar. 9
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

HiTech

I go up to Bascom's about every year. There is a guy who has a syrup operation. It's some beautiful country up there. Always stop at the GunShop in Alstead and look around. I could wait for the syrup buyers to come to this next of the woods but I prefer to drive up. It's sort of like my only trip of the year. It's about 270 miles over there, but it is an interesting trip. It takes about 10 to 11 gallons of diesel to get there and about the same to get back, so it is not too expensive. My buddy goes with me and between us we fill the truck with syrup. He has a bigger operation than I do. I have 400 taps and he has about 2,000. Anyway it is nice going up there.

beenthere

HiTech
Quoteus we fill the truck with syrup
Do you just bottle the syrup to sell then?
I get the impression you are buying sap, but that may just be how I read this.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!