iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

peeling hard boiled egg

Started by r.man, February 24, 2013, 10:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.man

Until last year I always peeled hard boiled eggs the same way as everyone I know, crack it all around and then pick off the shell. Sometimes it worked well and other times it left little bits stuck on. I found out last year that you can buy pails of shelled hard boiled eggs which got me speculating on how a machine would peel an egg. This led to a vast improvement in how I do it now. Lay the egg on a hard counter, press down with the egg centered in the palm of your hand until the shell breaks and then roll forward about a revolution and then back about half. The shell will now come off in about two main groupings if you pushed and rotated the right amount. Takes a bit of practice to get consistency but works well at the worst of times. I know it's not a big deal but if you were doing eggs for a group it would save some time and trouble.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

coxy

how well does this work on fresh eggs  thay are a pain even put them in ice water dont work vinegar in the water dont work  dont get to eggs this time of year to try this

r.man

Works good hot or cold although too hot hurts.

Chris Burchfield

I found it some easier to peel hardboiled eggs under running water.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Magicman

Crack it, wet it, and use a teaspoon.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MAI

As soon as their done cooking, I typically crack it on the side of the pan and peel it under cold water. Usually works pretty well.

wildbill

If we know we will need to hardboil (holiday deviled eggs), we will set aside what we need for a few weeks before.  If its a spur of the moment deal we found rapid cooling in icewater then rolling the eggs just enough to crack the shell without ripping the membrane seems to work.
Raider Bill's favorite son

Dan_Shade

Do a search for Julia Childs hardboiled egg recipe for a method for fresh eggs
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WH_Conley

Let them set on the counter over night before cooking. Table salt in the water, almost to the point of floating the eggs. Either let them cool on their own, cold tap water or ice. Just depends on how big a hurry are in. Lay them on the counter and roll til the major cracking is done. The shell should be in small pieces and the membrane intact. Tear the membrane and pop the egg out of the shell.
Bill

Al_Smith

Quote from: Magicman on February 25, 2013, 09:18:54 AM
Crack it, wet it, and use a teaspoon.
Works for me plus for two wifes so it must be the way to do it .No not two wifes at the same time ,no man could endure that . :D

coxy

al had to read that one agen :D :D ;D

Bogue Chitto

I have seen on a info commercial where you put the raw egg in a artificial egg container(egg shaped) then boil it. When it is done, just open it and boiled egg falls out.  Looked like it worked, but who knows.

Al_Smith

Well can you imagine some of those studly do right types with a half dozen wives and 15 youngens hither and yon .They must be nuts .

Geeze three would be nagging ,two would be mad and one wouldn't even be talking to you .What a fine kettle  of fish that would be  :D They might be good at shelling eggs though ,a calm in the midst of a storm perhaps .

pappy19

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

DanG

A feller with six wives ain't concerned with peeling eggs! :o :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

r.man

Multiple wives in the same house with their cycles in sync. :o :o :o

Al_Smith

Well that puts peeling eggs in a different light so to speak .

WH_Conley

I think I would rather be peeling eggs than be in that house. :o
Bill

Magicman

I have some news for the video guy.  I woulda had those eggs peeled before he even got the ice water out. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

The vid guy probabley had good intent but I nearly fell asleep as he droned on about it .Geeze much ado about a hen fruit .

Then this eggy contraption .Why in the world would you want a square egg ? I'll bet if the hen had to lay a square egg she'd protest loudly .

Imagine that poor guy with a hen house full of squacking   hens plus a house full of squacking wives .Not good !

r.man

So I watched the video and reread the posts and wondered if I was remembering correctly so I hardboiled some eggs and peeled them hot. Works good but you should roll them a bit more than if they were cold. Two full revolutions worked well and I was almost burning my hand holding the egg afterward.

thecfarm

Al,hen fruit?    Thanks for the memory. The last time I heard that was back in '97. I heard my Father say that when I read your post. Wow. Just as plain as day too. thank you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

:D Lest we not forget gucks and cackle berries .

justallan1

I got the thorough schooling on peeling eggs from the ex! :P
She would hold them with the big end down, so the air pocket was on the bottom, and smack'em on the counter (supposedly forcing the air up and around the egg), and then roll them a couple times and peel. It did seem to work good.
Allan

coxy

i have the best way to do it        i just say oh sweety pie  :D :D :D :laugh: :laugh:

SPIKER

One of the "Dirty Jobs" shows I think it was where they were peeling them commercial operation.   They were doing like 8eggs in 10 seconds  :o  they used older eggs for one but boiled them in specific way (dont recall now what it was) but quenched em in cold water and inside a big sinks bang them one in each hand rolling it around the sinks vertical inside and squeeze the eggs popping them out of the crushed shells tossed shells into different bins from the eggs.   was pretty eye opening :D :o/

We always put some salt in the water till they end up & do like Allen said & then rolled on edge of sink like the show did it.   Usually always worked pretty well BUT new eggs are a pain..

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

drobertson

I heard somewhere that fresh eggs should be kept for two weeks then boiled for easy peeling, don't know, cant' wait that long, salt water, and a splash of vinegar, then rollem on the counter a day later, just don't push to hard, then the sink and cold water,  salt and pepper shaker and all is good ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Weekend_Sawyer

Here is a way that works pretty well and is entertaining.

Tap the top of the egg to crack it and chip out eraser sized area.
Do the same on the bottom.
Blow real hard on the egg while giving it a little squeeze.
This usually blows the shell in half and the rest just falls off.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

beenthere

WS
Would you make a video of that?  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

What would happen if you used  air compresser to blow the egg outta the shell ? Have somebody catch it in a butterfly net .

I don't think a fish net would work as it would only catch part of the cackle berry  and the rest would be on the kitchen wall making for a very unhappy keeper of the kitchen which would not be good .

coxy

air compresser  :D   this could get real good  :) ;D

Herb Brooks

The secret is to steam em, not boil em.  Just like Brocolli, cept longer like a half hour.  Roll em then shuck em.  You can swipe an egg from a hen at 10:30 and have egg salad for lunch. Slick and easy. 

D L Bahler

Air compressor to peal eggs, I like your thinking  ;)
What if you put a cartridge primer in the one end, stuck it on with a piece of duct tape to seal it off, then lit the whole thing with a torch? Egg canon...

Weekend_Sawyer

That sounds like someone is going to end up with egg on their face  :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Al_Smith

Well I had  a little chicky and it wouldn't lay an egg .So I poured hot water up and down the chickies leg .Oh the little chicky hollered and the little chickie begged then she up and layed  a hard boiled egg .Boom do di a dah ,some chick .

yellowrosefarm

I've been using the "poke a hole in the big end" method for years, ever since I read it in the Farmers almanac. I get a rolling boil going, then cover the pan and turn the heat off. I set the timer for 25 minutes, then dump the hot water and fill with cold. I store them in the fridge with the shell on.

Thank You Sponsors!