iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Butch Immortalized

Started by shopteacher, April 08, 2004, 07:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

Haven't had time to carve much of anything lately, so decided to do a tribute to my of forum comrade Old Butch.  I carved a walking stick with his head for the handle and a vine and leaf coming up the stick to an open basket affair right before the head.  The head is basswood and the stick is black cherry. Kids at school couldn't get over it.  I can't understand how they can be so fascinated with something and won't even give it a try. First thing out of their mouth is I could never do that. Far from true. Just wish I could unlock some of the potential there.

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

oldsaw-addict

I'll just stick to my engine work, but that is BEAUTIFUL work there shopteacher. I love it. very detailed, very well thought out, and best of all, actually done not just left as an idea in your head.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

etat

Ole Butch should be honored.  Nice, very very nice! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

CHARLIE

Nice job Shopteacher!  Ol' Butch is immortalized in wood!  I enjoy woodworking and woodturning and have tried carving but just don't have the patience it takes. I have about 6 unfinished carvings.........  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bill_B

Old Butch is proud of you.
That is a  great job.
I am to short of patience to do anything like that.
Bill B

Fla._Deadheader

Nice wood-scratchin there, Teech.  8) 8) Tried some carving myself. Like the others, not enough patience.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

shopteacher

I only have 15 minutes of patience at a time. So I carve for 15 minutes and wait for the patience to return :D

Charlie: I had a cowboy carving laying on the floor of my truck for over a year and a ball player on the window sill with a golfer since the end of the last school year.  Finally got in the mood to do the cowboy and just waiting to get an urge to finish the others. In the meantime there's lots of other things to do. I seen your work and i don't believe you don't have the patience.

Patty

That is way cool Shopteacher, I'll bet old Butch is proud to see himself imortalized. 8) 8)  I think walking sticks are neat.

Our post office lady carves walking sticks. I'm supposed to be getting her some black willow (aka diamond willow) from down by the creek for her next walking stick. I've never seen willow used to I am anxious to see how it turns out.

So many projects....so little time!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

shopteacher

Ya Patty, he's strutting around like a peacock.  Gonna have to thump him with the cane if his head gets any bigger. :D
 I've carved some black willow and it works very well. Easy to cut and holds small features pretty good.
  Thank you all for the compliments.

HORSELOGGER

Real nice, but wheres da tongue? :D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

shopteacher

Horselogger: I caught him with his mouth shut for a change and figured I better save that look as I might never see it again. :D

I need to carve up a couple horses like those beauties you have.

Minnesota_boy

QuoteNice job Shopteacher!  Ol' Butch is immortalized in wood!  I enjoy woodworking and woodturning and have tried carving but just don't have the patience it takes. I have about 6 unfinished carvings.........  

You're way ahead of me, Charlie.  I only have about 4 unstarted ones.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

redpowerd

seems to be a little tall for old butch to use
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

shopteacher

WV_hillbilly

Very talented fellow . Nice tribute to your buddy there Teach . The more ya stick around the more talented people show up and show some of their great projects.
Hillbilly

redpowerd

you need to get pics of ol butch carving, make him proud ;D

zelda, the border collie, climbed a 20' wooden ladder, then jumped off!
crazy dog
never seen her on a ladder

i told her to do it :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Stan

I dunno but he seems better lookin in wood than he does in person.  ???
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

shopteacher

Well sure Stan. Do you think all those Romans that were carved out of marble looked like that.  They were living back in the dark ages and it looks like they just stepped off 5Th. Ave. :D

Stan

That's just cause they're so pale, teacher, throw a little red paint on their necks and they'd change character pretty quick.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

Thank You Sponsors!