iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Be careful

Started by Ivan49, February 23, 2013, 10:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivan49

Just a reminder to be careful with your stoves. A neighbor not far away lost everything the other night. His wife came home and put their 2 kids to bed and put wood in the stove and opened the ash door. She sat down and fell asleep and woke up to the smoke dector. She got the kids and herself out but the hose was gone a short time later. All they have left was what she was wearing and the blakets wraped around the kids. Not something I like to hear or read about

Slab Slicer

All was lost but the most important things. Thankfully the family got out in time. This could have been so much worse.

We burn wood for our winter heat, and this is always a concern of mine. Clean stove, clean chimney, and working smoke detectors are key to keeping everyone safe.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Roger2561

The most important thing is that everyone got out of the house safely, 

The main reason I went with an OWB is that approx. 3 years ago I had a chimney fire.  I had just gotten home from work, walked through the door just in time to hear that gut wrenching "whooosh".  I immediately knew what it was.  I looked up at the top chimney and saw flames shooting out about 10 feet.  Called 911 and all was taken care of.  But, I could have been at work when this happened and possibility of losing the house scared the buggers out of me.  From that point on, I was on a mission to find something safer that did not include burning fuel oil.   I no longer have that worry.  Roger
Roger

thecfarm

That is so sad to hear. I know she is blaming herself for all that has just happened. I hope she can get over that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sonofman

I am with you, Roger, My insert would not easily heat my long, narrow house. If trying to produce enough heat to get to the back on a cold day, it was easy to set the chimney on fire. I was carefull to keep the creasote from building up in the chimney, but there is just something about my setup that made it easy to light the chimney. After the second fire, I did what you did, and wound up with my OWB. I feel so much safer now.
Located due west of Due West.

coxy

glad every one was ok    we hade chimney fires here to thats when we got the owb no mess in the house any more

Thank You Sponsors!