iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need advice on pruning dwarf peach trees

Started by drobertson, February 23, 2013, 05:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

We bought and planted these two last spring, I have studied about pruning, just a little spooked on what or how to do it, 

both are the same height, I just missed the angle on the second one, they are short of 5 ft tall,

Any suggestions would be appreciated,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

chep

Those trees have pretty good structure already. Here is a great publication from Virginia Tech on peach tree pruning.

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/422/422-020/422-020.html

good luck

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

I have my pruned by a company called White Tail Deer.    :D
Good luck with them. My Father had a bunch of trees about 30-40 years ago. He enjoyed them alot. Peaches,cherries,pears,plums,bunches of apples. Some did good and some got the chainsaw. I think he had at least 50 of them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

cfarm :D  I was about to do some googling :D :D then I realized who your tree service is, Missy keeps them at bay, before here, they had their way with the beans,  saw one last night slipping around missy,  I think I need to do a significant snip to the main branch, last year the weight was too much for the lil branches,  thanks for the laugh,  david

rambo

I started a 30 tree orchard 10 years ago. If I could turn back time I would have done alot less pruning. For the casual homesteader I think it is a bit over rated. Do not get carried away worrying about pruning. Sometimes it hurts the tree more than helps it. I could go on and on why I am against pruning. In the end I don't believe God created the tree so we could prune it. Cut the low branches so they don't knock you off the lawn mower and let everything else take its course.

ArborJake

Actually you should leave the lower branches on the tree's for a while. They help to develope trunk taper. Take out only branches that criss cross or grow into the center of the tree. But like rambo said sometimes when they are young less pruning is better although fruit tree's love to be pruned and will yeild nicer fruit in the long run just dont be in a hurry.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

Axe Handle Hound

Pruning fruit trees is always a mystery to me despite having read many articles on it, but what I have read about peach trees in particular is that they bear fruit on 1 year old wood.  Consequently, they tend to do well with heavy pruning.  The opposite is apparently true for pear trees.  They don't like to be pruned so you're better off being stingy with the saw on those.  I can attest to that because I have two Summercrisp pear trees here in the yard that I planted as whips 9 years ago and have been pruning annually to improve their form (impossible on a pear).  Now they're 25' tall and 5" in diameter and in total I think I've gotten maybe 5 pears off of them over the years.

Thank You Sponsors!