iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's that time of year again!

Started by justallan1, February 23, 2013, 03:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

You saw what out the window of your cramped office yesterday?
That's nice.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Great picture and great point!  We had a nice surprise yesterday as well, at the machine shop, kinda in the woods ;D  well it is, but a nice shop, David's son walked in holding his dogs new chew toy,  about 70"s of deer horns, right side only,  they are starting to shed,   pic on cell phone, no way to get it on the lap top.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

justallan1

I do really enjoy my job, it's very rewarding any way you look at it. I don't think there are bad days on a ranch, just some are great!
David, we'll start finding the elk sheds here in about a month. I spend a few sundays out riding the 4-wheeler just for that.
Allan

chevytaHOE5674

Hopefully we don't have any calves drop for a couple more weeks yet as its still mighty cold and snowy and having them this early can often be a challenge UP here. But the way time passes it will be here before we know it.

drobertson

Allen, I will head out back tomorrow to look for some around here, I will post the ones I find, if you can post some of the elk horns,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

justallan1

Chevy, we had a bit of a wreck last year and these are early, thankfully only by a couple weeks and that we are having a mild winter.
David, here's some of the sheds we find:

I found 5 of these on Easter Sunday last year while out goofing off.

Here's some that a couple of the guys picked up while out gathering and moving some cattle.

And here's where a bunch of them end up. This guy came out from western Montana and bought everything he could.
I generally trade mine off for meat cutting to a buddy or sell them individally, but I did real good on selling this guy all of the junk and old, white, busted or chalky ones.
Allan

thecfarm

That is some sheds. We only have white tail deer and really not that many either. I'm out in the woods alot and have never found a shed. I know other small animals will chew on them too. White tail drop thier antlers the last of the year too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

I would love to calve this early but our weather is just too unpredictable this early, usually with tons of snow on the ground and cold wet weather.

Ive been thinking of switching over to an early fall calving heard as the weather is more predictable and the demand for weanlings in the spring seems to be better, but it would take a bit more feed to fill all them mouths through the winter. Maybe this year I will breed a few in the middle of November, that way I can have a couple of calves early fall 2014 and see how that works out.

justallan1

I've worked for 2 ranches in the last 9 years and don't know all the reasoning, but would guess that along with the weather, we are dealing with the timing of everything else. I have a bunch of new farming to take care of as quick as I can, possibly some of the hay meadows that burned, a BUNCH of new fencing before branding, branding, etc.
Right now is my easy time. I feed in the morning and luckily I am already caught up in the shop, other than losing a throwout bearing this morning. :D So I get to work for the next couple days.

drobertson

Wow!  mercy sakes! thats' a pile, $$$$?   just wondering,  david

justallan1

The brown elk sheds from this last year go for $8.00 per pound, the bleached or white seems like it was $6.00, the old or chalky ones were $3-4.00.
Most of the ones leaning against my truck would have been called brown #1s. The couple of larger ones probably weighed 10 to 15 pounds each.
Deer sheds are worth a bit more and I think white tail are more yet, or it seems that's what I've heard.
The picture of the ones in the trailer weren't all from here, but between the 6 of us, we probably get half that many.
Happy shed hunting,
Allan

WDH

Allan,

Those two on the far right, in the first pic of the sheds leaning against the truck, still look alive  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

justallan1

That grey one gets any fatter, he's going in the stew pot! :o

ND rancher

justallan1, I started on the 19th,last 2 days only had 1 calf so getting caught up on the Fourm.Hope they start back up tonight.
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

justallan1

ND rancher, we shoot for just after the 1st. Luckily we've had a mild winter and these cows are good moms.
Allan

ND rancher

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ND rancher

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ND rancher on February 26, 2013, 11:47:02 AM
Wrong shape and color.

I don't recognize them. We use to have Charolais....but no red ones.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ND rancher

They are Red Angus! With a touch of a few other breeds here and there.

Roxie

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 26, 2013, 11:41:13 AM
Are those Santa Gertrudis ?

No they aren't, but your mentioning them brings back a flood of memories from my childhood.  I grew up on the northern King Ranch that was located in Doe Run, PA.  Richard King's daughter still has an estate there, and I read in the paper that the Texas King Ranch had sent a few hundred back to her ranch to keep safe during the drought in the south. 

To say it was an idea place to be a child would be an understatement.  The cowboys would let us ride in the Jeep Wrangler that pulled the feed cart through the field, and they let us pull the lever that would drop the feed pellets.  We had genuine cowboys ride by on their horses, and we spent hours exploring, swimming in the creek, and sitting on the fence watching the steers. 

Heaven on earth!   :)
Say when

thecfarm

ND Rancher nice picture of Momma and baby.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

Good looking pairs, ND Rancher.
We have angus cross here, which seem to be a good animal to work with.
Granted I've only worked these, piedmontese and charolais. You can have both of the latter.
Allan

Thank You Sponsors!