iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Protective gear

Started by Firewoodking, February 23, 2013, 12:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

Couple weeks back. Kickback and the nose went through the kevlar pants and the double layer of Dickies. Hit the inside of tibia next to the knee cap. Lucky.

John Mc

Quote from: jimbarry on June 29, 2016, 09:03:45 PM
Couple weeks back. Kickback and the nose went through the kevlar pants and the double layer of Dickies. Hit the inside of tibia next to the knee cap. Lucky.

Ouch! 

I have to admit, stopping to take a picture would not have been the first thing on my mind.

Messing up a knee can be a big deal. I hope it wasn't too serious. Did you end up needing stitches?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jimbarry

That was after the trip to the hospital. I went back into the woods to gather up the quad and equipment. I wasn't far from the house, but where it happened it was faster to limp up the hill to the house than to walk downhill to the quad and then a long trip around to get back to the house. Not too serious, 4 stitches. Topped up the tetanus shot while at the hospital.

woodsdog2015

That's one of those injuries that you say after it happened.... how did that just happen?  I hope you heal up soon.  I envy you Nova Scotiaian's (is that right?) its beautiful up there!  Glad it wasn't more serious but that still sucks! 

I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

tranabo_bjoern

This is my safety equipment. Use it every time,  no exeption.

• Hard hat with hearing protection and vizor (Jonsererd)
  • Protective trouser, class 1
  • Protective jacket, class 1, high visible
  • Protective boots class 2, high visible
  • protective gloves, class 1, left hand side
  • Safety googles
  • First aid kit
  • Android phone with app "Hilfe im Wald" "Help in the woods" (Germany only)

In my tool belt is a second first aid kit.

In Germany there are numbered rescue spots with numbered poles. These poles are known by each ambulance. In case of an accident, just press a button on your phone and the ambulance comes to the closest rescue point. The app tells the ambulance staff your coordinates in the woods to get you.
Just do it!

Husky 395xp 20 inch bar
Husky 460xp x-torq Rancher 24 and 20 inch bar
Husky 61 18 inch bar
Jonsered 2234 14 inch bar
McCulloch cs 380 18 inch bar

John Vander

Yup, I put my saw down when tired.
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

John Mc

Quote from: John Vander on July 12, 2016, 08:18:33 PM
Yup, I put my saw down when tired.

That's one of the reasons I like to hand sharpen. It forces me to slow down and take a break. IF I don't have these little breaks, I often don't notice how tired/thirsty/hungry I am. While stopping to address my saw's condition, I get the chance to assess my own.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

Very well said John!!
Some of the best advice right there!!
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

John Vander

I've made some of the dumbest mistakes when I was tired. Mistakes that ended up in hung-up trees that did nothing but make more work. Pressing through when your are already tired is just one way of adding to the job, making you even more tired!

HolmenTree

Yes the law of physics with rotating saw chain and the impact from falling timber can be hazardous to your health, more so with a fatigued body and mind.

deerslayer

Since this thread is talking about safety gear, I have a pair of Labonville full wrap chaps which I really like. I lost them a while back so ordererd another pair but decided to try the less expensive Forester full wrap chaps. These chaps were a complete fail. Both legs of them were identical so instead of a left leg and right leg it was two of one. The straps were too short to go around my thighs when wearing pants and my wife tried them and she couldn't fit them either. I had found my other chaps by the time they came but was going to keep them for her.
Anyway, when having them on, the things cut right into the crotch area and were just impossible to see how anyone could find these an acceptable solution. The vendor took them back and paid shipping both ways so kudos to them. (I've used them before and will again).
The pics in the ads of everyone who sells these are stock photos and none of them matched the product I received. In fact, if you look online for these, many ads have contradictory pics showing two different styes of chaps.
When I need more chaps, I'll pay a little extra and get another pair of Labonvilles.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

John Vander

That's good to know. Better spend a bit more on something you know will get the job done. You can always invest in new chaps but not new legs.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: deerslayer on July 13, 2016, 05:41:41 PM
Since this thread is talking about safety gear, I have a pair of Labonville full wrap chaps which I really like. I lost them a while back so ordererd another pair but decided to try the less expensive Forester full wrap chaps. These chaps were a complete fail. Both legs of them were identical so instead of a left leg and right leg it was two of one. The straps were too short to go around my thighs when wearing pants and my wife tried them and she couldn't fit them either. I had found my other chaps by the time they came but was going to keep them for her.
Anyway, when having them on, the things cut right into the crotch area and were just impossible to see how anyone could find these an acceptable solution. The vendor took them back and paid shipping both ways so kudos to them. (I've used them before and will again).
The pics in the ads of everyone who sells these are stock photos and none of them matched the product I received. In fact, if you look online for these, many ads have contradictory pics showing two different styes of chaps.
When I need more chaps, I'll pay a little extra and get another pair of Labonvilles.

A lot of copies comming in from china of just about anything these days. It's prudent to source from a reputable supplier thats been around for a while, and likely to stay another while.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

John Vander

PPE:Buy the real thing. Cheaper that prostetic legs.

Junis

Kevlar is brittle and weakens over time and should not be washed. Make sure the protective fabric inside is Avertic. www.avertic.com
Stay Safe!

weimedog

Got a new set of Husqvarna Brand Full Wrap Chaps to replace the ones I had. I like the new one .. there is one little detail that interestingly enough stands one, and that is they have the straps to go around the calf, no big deal; but the top one doesn't let the chaps work their way down or put weight on the "belt" strap. Also doesn't interfere as much when walking as the knee area is free to flex easier since its not being pulled. Well worth the 100 bucks. Also ditched my old Helmet / Face mask with the little more expensive Stihl brand. I like it....better. But still plan to  upgrade yet again to one Holmantree had suggested as Ii want a chin strap. GLAD this a topic that is of interest!
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Jesper Jepsen

In Denmark the rules are quite simple when you work as a professionell.

Protective boots with steel cap
Protective trouser
Helmet not older than 3 years use or 5 years from production date
Hearing protection
Eye protection
Pressure bandage that you carry on you.

I use the Meindl Forest runner Pro boots, Husky trousers, husky technical helmet and a Pressure bandage that is sealed in a water tight wrapping. Never pull the cord on the saw with out the gear on.  My life is so much more valuable that the price and time to put the gear on.

John Mc

Jesper - that's what I wear/carry when I'm using a chainsaw. The same pouch that holds the bandage also has a signaling whistle. I also try to have a cell phone at hand, but that's not always practical (nor do I always have coverage).

My helmet is due for replacement. I've bee wanting to try out the Husqvarna Forest Technical Helmet, but no US vendors have had it for months, and no response to inquiries about what the problem is.

BTW, I missed saying it when you first signed on not too long ago, but welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Jesper Jepsen

@John MC
I really like my Husky Technical helmet the biggest issue I had with my old husky helmet( the standard one) was that the sun reflections in the visir mesh blinded me, thats not a problem with the new Technical helmet. Well it's very comfortable to wear and for me at least keep my head cool but not to cold when working.

I wonder why it seems hard to find them in the US as my dealer here in Denmark have no problems getting them from Husqvarna.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Jesper Jepsen on December 05, 2016, 02:02:09 AM
I wonder why it seems hard to find them in the US as my dealer here in Denmark have no problems getting them from Husqvarna.

I got mine from Germany as well as my Husqvarna chainsaw pants. One of the benefits of working for a German company! My boss' best friend owns a Husqvarna dealership in his village so anything I need he gets it for me.

John Mc

Quote from: Jesper Jepsen on December 05, 2016, 02:02:09 AM

It's not just "hard to find". It's impossible. No one in my area has them, no one can (or will?) explain why they don't have them. I can;t find any US dealer online selling them either. They used to be up on several sites but they are all out of stock and have been for months. Some of these dealers and web sites are ones that had them some time ago.

HolmenTree

I never liked the Husqvarna Peltor  helmet screens. For all my working life I wore the old style Peltor screen/muffs. Much more  compact and durable.

The Husqvarna screens are too large, sitting too high up on the helmet. Plus when they are in the upright position to get a better view of the forest canopy etc the bottom edge is always in your line of vision. They snag easily on brush  and getting pulled off the helmet.

In the picture below you can see where I cut off the sun visor off the Husqvarna screen on the left. Still a poor ergonomic screen . I just use that Pacific Kevlar helmet setup for feeding the chipper and running my stump grinder.
I do switch the old style Peltor setup on to the Pacific helmet depending of time of the year and jobs.

DeerMeadowFarm

What I love about my Husqvarna technical helmet is the screen. The mesh is finer than any helmet I've used in the past. I often reach to flip it down only to find that it's already down!

John Mc

Supposedly, one of the improvements the made on the Technical Forest Helmet is that the screen swings up all the way out of your line of sight when in the up position. But, since I can't get my hands on one in real life I have not been able to try it out for myself.

DeerMeadowFarm - is that the Arborist Technical Helmet or the Forest Technical Helmet in your photos?

Jesper Jepsen

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on December 05, 2016, 03:06:20 PM
What I love about my Husqvarna technical helmet is the screen. The mesh is finer than any helmet I've used in the past. I often reach to flip it down only to find that it's already down!

I second that!
The screen swings up so that it out of your way and you have a clear sight, even that's not much difference from when having it down. The mech is thin really thin and the weight og the screen i so that the helmet is very balanced when wearing it.

I wrote to Husqvarna Sweden and asked them why the helmet is not available in the US so now it just wait and see what they answer. 

Thank You Sponsors!