iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Protective gear

Started by Firewoodking, February 23, 2013, 12:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodking

What protective gear do you guys use when running your saw?
Personally, I wear forest chaps and a helmet with earmuffs and the face shield .
Firewoodking

Ianab

Saw chaps, forestry helmet (muffs and shield) and steel toe work boots.

Never cut my chaps or boots, but have had a couple of occasions where it was close enough to remind me why I'm wearing them.

The headgear is just common sense. Things fall out of trees, wood chips fly into your eye, and chainsaws are loud, so the helmet is a no-brainer, has the three protection items all together. If you aren't falling trees, then glasses and muffs are probably OK, but if you have the helmet already....

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

John Mc

I wear the same as Ian, minus the steel-toed boots. I'm not convinced that ordinary steel toed work boots do much good protecting from a chainsaw injury. They are more designed to protect from crush injuries. I've seen a couple of pictures of the aftermath of a chainsaw hitting a standard steel toed work boot. The chain just slid across the steel from ear the end of the toe to the back of the steel cap, turning what might have been a couple of mangled toes into something much worse.

Some where I saw a video of demonstration of something similar (with a mannequin foot). That was enough to convince me. Unfortunately, I can't find that video anymore.

I do own some rubber Jonsered chainsaw boots with protection over the toes and up the shin. I wear those a fair amount of the time, or just wear regular leather boots
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

TessiersFarm

I wear husqvarna protective boots most of the time however any leather boots are better than nothing.  Chaps, Helmet with shield and muffs, Glasses and Gloves almost always.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

thecfarm

Chaps,hardhat,gloves,steel boots,glasses. And a bunch of common sense too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ChopperDan

Chaps, safety glasses, gloves, ear plugs, steel toe boots (rethinking the boots)
550xpg
562xp
Makita 6421 converted to 7900 X2
Hd SuperSpitter

CTYank

Your brain is also a prime item of protective gear.
It can direct you to:
1) keep your left elbow locked with arm extended,
2) keep your left thumb opposed to the fingers (no monkey grip)
3) keep all your pieces out of the plane of the chain. In case of kickback, the bar will be moved in that plane. If you're not there, the chain'll have a hard time getting to you.

A well-trained brain will mandate the above. Helps to keep PPE "fresh."
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

shinnlinger

I bought actual chainsaw boots from Labonville with kevlar after arborist I know cut the tendons on the top of his foot and now wear them with the chaps, gloves, Shielded hemet with muffs when ever I'm doing any serious cutting.

dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

JuniperBoss

I don't wear the protective boots, but I do wear all the other goods; helmet, gloves, chaps.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

jackfork

Safety glasses, headphones, gloves, and steel toe boots at a minimum. I've already had my right foot crushed once so steel toes are a must for me.
540 acres of which appox. 300 is wooded, 10 acres of water, and rest open pasture.
Timberwolf TW-5, Stihl 180, 270, 660, Echo CS-680

John Mc

Quote from: jackfork on March 25, 2013, 02:21:11 AM
Safety glasses, headphones, gloves, and steel toe boots at a minimum. I've already had my right foot crushed once so steel toes are a must for me.

No helmet?  Or are you mostly working on stuff that is already on the ground, with no overhead hazards?  Having seen the result of some head injuries, and the burden those folks have become on their family, I won't cut without head protection if there is any chance of overhead hazards.

The steel toed boots do definitely help protect from crush injuries, I just not convinced they're worth much for protection from a spinning chain.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

scottmphoto

You really need chainsaw boots with the kevlar (or similar) in it to help protect more of your foot. Steel-toed boots are better than nothing, but they only protect your toes.

HolmenTree

Myself having made a living with a chainsaw for almost 40 years I would not be without my steel toe boots. Kevlar lined boots do help reduce injury but doesn't prevent them.
I cut through a full kevlar boot once and the chain just nicked my ankle but the cut still required 5 stitches. The worst part was taking over a week off work to let it heal and get rid of the infection. Foot cuts are easily infected while wearing work boots while trying to stay on the job.

But how many of you have nicked the left steel toe of your work boot? Probably quite a few here eh? Not very often the right toe.
The toe is the first part of your foot that is in direct exposure to a spinning sawchain while limbing, topping and bucking. With the "right hand on the throttle boxing stance" operating the saw, your left foot is up front.
Many a times my steel toe boots has stopped or deflected my sawchain, my ankle cut was just a freak accident when I was a young logger while limbing at a awkward angle with a 24" b/c .
Composite safety toe material?......be like cutting into a log. All my work boots today have the white rectangle- green fir tree safety ID patch on their uppers. Kevlar lined with steel toes.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

DeerMeadowFarm

I wear chaps, helmet, gloves, steel toe boots, and I recently bought a protective jacket. I have found myself getting more chicken (smarter?) as I age.

John Mc

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 31, 2013, 01:48:10 PM
All my work boots today have the white triangle- green fir tree safety ID patch on their uppers. Kevlar lined with steel toes.

Definitely the way to go.  I just wish my rubber Jonsered chainsaw boots were a bit more comfortable (and that I'd bought them big enough to fit boot liners inside).

Sherman C. Anderson

Since 1992 the topic of safety or PPE was drilled into me by my mentor, a certified Florida forester and consulting arborist. Helmets and safety glasses were his main concerns then. I now wear a helmet, glasses, CS chaps (when on the ground), fall protection harness with lanyard attached to the lift basket and gloves designed for the job. As the airline industry has professed since the early days, one can never be too safe.
On HELMETS, I just ordered two Husqvarna hard hats replacing Rockman hats bought two years ago and I could not get replacement parts for...Baileys did not respond to my request a week ago for parts information. I've used Peltor, Stihl, Rockman so I hope the Husky hats will be what we would like to wear.

exSW

Chaps,helmet with face shield,earplugs(I hate muffs and I can hang a set of plugs around my neck when I leave the house),prescription safety glasses(with shields),regular boots I have never liked steel toes for a lot of reasons and I have had foot placement and awareness drilled into me from a variety of vocations.I can see the Kevlars but I don't want to try to move around with  Mickey Mouse feet.People complain about safety equipment.Do a little reseach into NASCAR and how Joe Weatherly,Fireball Roberts and Dale SR. died and their stated positions on certain safety devices.You don't have to be a race fan to get the point.
"well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison"

woodenboater

Same ppe as everyone including kevlar gloves. Also just ordered a pair of Husqvarna boots to take over from the steel toed Redbacks I currently wear. Have an Echo helmet but finding it doesn't really like sitting on my large dome. Does anyone have recommendations for lids for Sputnik heads ? Heard Rockman's are bigger.

HolmenTree

Quote from: woodenboater on October 19, 2013, 01:05:15 PM
. Does anyone have recommendations for lids for Sputnik heads ? Heard Rockman's are bigger.
I'm not sure if their bigger because l have a big head :D but check out the Pacific Kevlar helmet from Bailey's. Best helmet I ever owned, also takes the Peltor screen and muffs.
The most important feature of this helmet besides the tough kevlar shell is the full suspension chin harness. The helmet always stay in place on your head.
A lot of research has shown that fatalities in the woods by struck byes were caused by the outer limbs knocking the worker's hard hat off and a split second later they were struck on the bare head by the solid piece of the tree.
Ear muffs or those elastic chin straps that attach to the hard hat's shell don't prevent  the hardhat  from getting tossed aside, only the full harness built into the suspension works properly.

WildDog

QuoteI hope the Husky hats will be what we would like to wear.[/quote

I am sure you will be happy with the Husky. I like the solid foam in the muffs, had to replace the harness a while back, my own fault sat the helmet on the Lucas muffler :( 

Welcome to the FF Sherman
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

woodenboater

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 19, 2013, 03:30:23 PM

Quote from: woodenboater on October 19, 2013, 01:05:15 PM
. Does anyone have recommendations for lids for Sputnik heads ? Heard Rockman's are bigger.
I'm not sure if their bigger because l have a big head :D but check out the Pacific Kevlar helmet from Bailey's. Best helmet I ever owned, also takes the Peltor screen and muffs.
The most important feature of this helmet besides the tough kevlar shell is the full suspension chin harness. The helmet always stay in place on your head.
A lot of research has shown that fatalities in the woods by struck byes were caused by the outer limbs knocking the worker's hard hat off and a split second later they were struck on the bare head by the solid piece of the tree.
Ear muffs or those elastic chin straps that attach to the hard hat's shell don't prevent  the hardhat  from getting tossed aside, only the full harness built into the suspension works properly.

thanks Holmen.

I was actually looking at the Pacifics but couldn't find any info on helmet size. I have a glass/kevlar helmet for whitewater canoeing and appreciate the build and strapping so if the Pacific has good suspension and chin straps, that's a big bonus. A loose helmet is a distraction I don't need while running the saw.

HolmenTree

woodenboater, my family and I are away from home for the weekend but when I get home tomorrow evening I'll measure the inside of my Pacific helmet and report back here.

woodenboater

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 19, 2013, 10:48:56 PM
woodenboater, my family and I are away from home for the weekend but when I get home tomorrow evening I'll measure the inside of my Pacific helmet and report back here.

no need. found the info in plain site in the description - "Ratchet Headband With Easy-to-Adjust Dial Ratchet that Accommodates a Variety of Head Sizes (54-64cm)" although the following info was in the ask a question area - "Measuring the circumference of the head it's maximum size is 28 inches"

either way, sounds like my head should be ok in this helmet

Philbert

If you go to YouTube and search for 'chainsaw boot test' you will find a very convincing video comparing composite (plastic) hard toes to steel toes.  Metatarsal guards (cover the instep) also help.

'Chainsaw leg protection' is another classic YouTube video produced by the State of Washington and Madsen's.  Very persuasive.

Philbert

gsrsol84mm

Thank You Sponsors!