iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Barn Sash Windows

Started by Brian_Weekley, February 22, 2013, 08:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

I'm investigating my window options for my timber frame shed.  I was planning to use wood barn sash windows.  Recently, I've been looking at the PVC ones too.  Of course, the PVC versions would probably be less maintenance, but I'm not sure I will like the looks of them—especially after all the work I put into my wood frame!  Both are very reasonably priced.  I want to hear from the peanut gallery...pitting the traditionalists versus the practical types!  Also, I'd love to see some examples how some of you have framed out and trimmed your working barn sash windows.

e aho laula

Jay C. White Cloud

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Rooster

Brian,

I like a nice wood sash...but I am also a fan of the PVC sashes. They don't rot, no need to paint or preserve them, they can be trimmed up with hand and power tools (cuts sort of like high density board) and from 20ft away you can't tell that they aren't made of wood. 

I'll work on getting some drawings of the frame-out...I'm not a fan of outside trim.

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

thecfarm

If I had enough smarts to build a timber frame shed,I would not be putting plastic windows into it.   ;D  BUT if this was a house,than I might be a little more concern about heat loss. You did say it was a shed and wood would be a done deal for me. I just feel it would look that much better. Maybe only to me,but it would look better to me. And I'm the one that looks at it more than anyone else.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Rooster

Brian,

After looking at your pictures more closely, these are hollow rails and styles right?  I was referring to the kind that is made out of compressed solid plastic.  The hollow ones don't hold up to temp changes and UV exposure.  I'll try to find a link to the ones I have used.

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Rooster

Mike Rowe

Rooster

Brian_Weekley

Jay, no doubt it would be fun to make some windows.  However, I just don't think it's the best use of my time right now.  I'll have plenty to do just milling sills and building proper frames for them.  Besides, just the idea of glazing 32 panes of glass...

Rooster, I was looking at the Northview windows which I can get locally (made out by you in WI).  They make both wood and PVC versions.  I don't know if their PVC ones are hollow, but I'll find out. 

http://northviewwindows.net/index.cfm?pid=16&pageTitle=PVC-Barn-Sash

I get not having the applied trim on the outside where the water can get behind.  I'd like to see your technique for flashing and trim.

CFarm, most likely I'll stick with wood, but I want to see what these things look like in person first.  This "shed" is going to be more of a workshop/cabin in the long run.

Thanks, guys!
e aho laula

Happycamper

As time goes buy you will be happy you took the time to keep wood with wood. Nothing beats the looks of natural wood. Plastic looks like plastic.
                                       Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

timberwrestler

Brian,

These are what I use when I want a barn sash-style window in an un-(or mildly)insulated building:
http://www.broscobookofdesigns.com/bod/bod2012#pg24
They're locally made and available, and they have nice narrow muntins, with puttied glass.  They're pretty cheap to, under $100 each.  The Brosco double hungs are also very traditional (I'm a stickler for narrow muntins), and they're available with an energy panel.

These are all Brosco single pane windows:

www.uncarvedblockinc.com
www.facebook.com/uncarvedblockinc

Dave Shepard

Nice! I like the old drafting tables too. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brian_Weekley

Here's a follow-up to an old post...  I ended up ordering wooden barn sash windows from Northview Window and Door.  They were fairly inexpensive price-wise.  However, one thing I didn't particularly care for is the window panes are not actually glazed in--the window frame is screwed together around the panes.  Theoretically, this makes it "easier" to replace broken panes.  I haven't needed to replace any, but after they were painted, I don't know that they will actually come apart that easily...

Anyway, my work was to make the frames/casing to install these window sashes in.  I wanted them to operate like real barn sash windows (they will tilt in on the top and can be removed from the inside).  I also made the frame for my transom window in the same way (but it will be fixed).  Here's a YouTube video showing my construction of the window frames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Nh3BzyO-g

In the future, I also plan to make some traditional wooden storm sashes that will hang on the outside (sets of both screens and storm windows).
e aho laula

Jim_Rogers

Nice video thanks for sharing.
It is a pleasure to see someone use a radial arm saw correctly and safely.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brian_Weekley

I previously purchased wooden sash windows for my timber frame barn.  Recently, I needed two custom-sized windows for a chicken coop I'm building.  This time, I decided to make my own.  They were a little bit of work, but I think they came out pretty good.

Here's a video on how I made them:

https://youtu.be/MGO_pcW3_4w

e aho laula

CJSteves

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on October 19, 2014, 05:53:51 PM
Here's a follow-up to an old post...  I ended up ordering wooden barn sash windows from Northview Window and Door.  They were fairly inexpensive price-wise.  However, one thing I didn't particularly care for is the window panes are not actually glazed in--the window frame is screwed together around the panes.  Theoretically, this makes it "easier" to replace broken panes.  I haven't needed to replace any, but after they were painted, I don't know that they will actually come apart that easily...

Anyway, my work was to make the frames/casing to install these window sashes in.  I wanted them to operate like real barn sash windows (they will tilt in on the top and can be removed from the inside).  I also made the frame for my transom window in the same way (but it will be fixed).  Here's a YouTube video showing my construction of the window frames:

Making Frames for Barn Sash Windows - YouTube

In the future, I also plan to make some traditional wooden storm sashes that will hang on the outside (sets of both screens and storm windows).
I know I'm dredging up an ancient post here, but hoping I can raise Brian and see how he ended up trimming/flashing his windows in the timber frame. 
I'm working on cladding my frame now and am trying to sort out the details of building frames for my sash windows as well and it would be very helpful to see how others have done it.
If you're still active on the site, Brian, I'd love to see some photos or hear some ideas you had about trimming/flashing the windows you installed!

Brian_Weekley

I literally haven't been on this site in months. However, I just logged in and happened to see this!  If you checkout my other post below, you'll see a few photos of the window install (starting around reply #77). Hopefully this helps...
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=68551.0
e aho laula

Thank You Sponsors!