iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12" wide cherry

Started by hackberry jake, February 22, 2013, 07:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I friend of mine is building a set of stairs. He hit me up about what I had in 12" widths that was dry. We decided on cherry. The steps will be 12"x34"x1". He needs 14 steps. No knots that have cracks or no bigger than about 1". This is a friend so I am going to give him a deal, but what would pieces like this bring in your area?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Jay C. White Cloud

For what you described about $6.50/bf and up.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

drobertson

for some reason, I was thinking stair treads were just a bit thicker? not sure, in any case, not sure what to charge,  have fun, jake,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey Jake,

David has a point, are you going to put a backer or bridging on these treads?  1" is kinda' thin for that length particularly.

Regards,

Jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

CalebL

$3.50 bf for what you described.  I cut my stair treads 6/4 though. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Tree Feller

In Tyler, $6.50/bf would be a bargain.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

hackberry jake

He is using three runners so the span is going to be 17". You think I sould tell him he needs Four runners?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Jay C. White Cloud

Maybe Jake, or backing, to make them thicker.

WDH

You can put a thicker bullnosed lip on the front about 1 1/2" x 1" with the thicker part oriented vertical.  That adds strength and aesthetics.  You could also route a bead on the lip which would really make the treads look nice.

My price if I was selling 12" wide #1 common cherry would be $4.50 rough sawn, unplaned.  FAS would be $5.00 per BF.  #2 would be $3.50. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WIwoodworker

I think 5/4 is a little more traditional for stair treads but you can use 4/4 and be just fine. I sell S&B 4/4 material for $4.50bf and 5/4 for $5bf in Milwaukee, WI.
Peterson 9" WPF

5quarter

I can get 9.50 per bf for FAS 4/4 12" wide. stair treads should be 1ΒΌ" which I could sell, if I had it, for $11. per bf. For comparison, Millard Lumber has 1x10x 16 FAS cherry for $217. per board, last time I checked. I can buy Purpleheart for less. :o Of course I can count on one hand the # of black cherry trees I have ever seen here in NE. currently I have 9 boards in stock.  :'(
Stair treads are usually sold as finished products around here and priced individually. Perhaps you can plane them and profile them and sell them ready to install.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!