iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walbro carburetor on Stihl MS310

Started by palmer78, February 22, 2013, 06:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palmer78

I finally got my saw back together and I'm trying to get it running right.  I noticed there are two weep holes on the bottom of the carburetor which are leaking gas.  It's not gushing out but it's seeping pretty good.  Do I have a bad gasket there, or are those holes supposed to be plugged up with something.  I am hoping this is why my saw only wants to idle with the low idle screw turned out almost a full turn, and it's idling a little too fast with that adjustment.  Thanks for any input.

T Welsh

palmer78, Carb,s are not supposed to leak fuel, sounds as if you are in need of a carb kit. Take the numbers off the body of the carb and go to your dealer and have them order you a kit. This will fix your leak. Tim

ladylake

1 to 1-1/4 turn out is normal on older carbs.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

palmer78

OK, thanks for the replies.  Yeah, the carb has been apart too many times to remember in my numerous attempts to clean it before I put a new piston and cylinder on, so I guess it could use some new gaskets.

Razorhunter

Hi guys, New member here. I too have an ms310 that was recently given to me. It seems to be in really good shape, but won't start, and I just don't know where to start with regards to trying to diagnose what the problem might be. My brother previously owned the saw so I know he didn't totally abuse it. He may have possibly let it sit for too long with fuel in it?
  What I'd like to know, is this: Is there a thread on this forum, or possibly an online guide that shows the basics of diagnosing a chainsaw that won't run? I am very mechanically inclined, and I know engines need fuel, spark and compression to run. I'd like help in tearing this 310 apart so I can diagnose and fix any problems it may have. Thanks for any help her

JohnG28

Few easy ways to start: take off the muffler and look through the exhaust port to see if the piston has scoring. That would be a tell take reason to not run. Is the spark plug wet with fuel after you try starting it? If not then could be carb related, possibly a carb kit would fix. These are good places to start. Check the fuel line for cracks or holes also.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

beenthere

I'd start by checking for spark.
Then if spark, I'd dabble some fuel in the cylinder, put the plug back in and see if it fires.
Then.....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Razorhunter

Ok great. Thanks guys. I will do all of the above for starters and then go from there. Thanks so much, this is exactly the type of tips I was looking for.

celliott

Razorhunter, Chainsaws need 3 things to run. Spark, compression, and fuel. Just check each one off as you go. Nowadays with todays excellent quality fuel, carb\fuel delivery issues are probably most common. Some can be pretty stubborn, but there is some good information here and plenty of members that can walk you through troubleshooting.

EDIT: I reread your post and realize you already know compression, spark, fuel.
I would post your problem on a new topic on the chainsaw board, and the knowledgable individuals over there can help walk you through troubleshooting. A member recently almost totally rebuilt a stihl O38, you can read that thread here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,63267.0.html
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Razorhunter

Hey palmer78,
  I am working on a stihl ms310 as well, which was purchased in 2005, it also has a Walbro carb. Can you post the numbers off of your walbro carb? I would like to compare. I went to stihl dealer and they are showing a zama carb. I guess they no longer offer the walbro? Anyhow, mine has the numbers "21-477" as well as "62-116 and 437" on the butterflies.

T Welsh

Razorhunter, Here is an IPL on the 310.
http://www.smaf-touseau.com/planche/?id_document=30
And here is Walbro,s site   http://www.walbro.com/product-catalog/products/lawn-and-garden/carburetors.aspx?ID=1172
I would double check with the numbers on the side of the carb and then cross reference to the correct rebuild kit from Stihl. My dealer has been having a tough time lately about getting the correct kit,because some times they list one carb and your,s has a different carb. Best way to do it is take the carb with you when you order the kit, Its fail safe that way. Tim

Razorhunter

Mr Welsh,
  I clicked on the first link you refer to as an IPL, but I don't get it. What is the purpose od that somewhat vague webpage, seemingly written in a foreign language....?

T Welsh

Razorhunter, Its an illustrated parts list from Stihl. It will let you see the part you are looking for and the part#. They are hard to find because the company does not publish these to the public. This particular one is from Europe I believe but if you look close it also has English translation. They come in helpful when you need a part, just look into the IPL find the part write down the # and call it in to get ordered,its much faster than running to the dealer to order the part ;). I checked the link and it works. So take a minute or two and look again, you will see 4 different carbs for that model all HD series. Like I said in my prior post, take the carb with you when you go to order the kit, its fail safe. ;D. Tim

Razorhunter

Ok Tim, I found how to download the parts diagram, but I've stared at that page for an hour on and off, and have yet to see any sign of  an English translation. Any tips? Perhaps the exact English tab or icon isn't showing on my mobile phone? This is often the case on many sites.  Thanks.

T Welsh

Razor, The whole web site is in Spanish,but the PDF parts list has an English description in the middle column of the parts list. I wish there was an English site that list the parts diagrams for Stihl, but I have never found one yet. Here is the front page with all the Stihl models listed for future reference. Click on the PDF file and then scroll down to the page you want!. Hope this help,s. Tim

http://www.smaf-touseau.com/rubrique/eclates-tronconneuses-thermiques.html?id_rubrique=275

Thank You Sponsors!