iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my new mill yesterday!

Started by justinmay1982, February 22, 2013, 04:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinmay1982

Well I got my new saw mill yesterday. I am very excited to get it up and going and saw my first log. I ended up buying the EZ Boardwalk 40. The mill looks great and can't wait to get it set up and going. I am hoping to get a few pictures up one I get it set up. I am hoping we start to get some better weather in NY. Snow and cold weather are not fun to work in. I will be mostly be sawing soft woods when I start. Any decent suggestions on whats the best option for a blade lube in winter? Thanks Justin  8)

hackberry jake

You are going to love the 40! I use what Ed suggests, 2/3 diesel and 1/3 oil. I only turn the lube on between cuts to clean the blade off. It uses a lot less lube that way and it doesn't get on the lumber.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

1woodguy

That's great,your going to have loads of fun now!
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

m wood

welcome Justin.  That sounds just like me.  Just got my mill, and kinda waiting on the wheater in NY to break.  I hear that the antifreeze windshield washer fluid is one suggestion, but I have yet to play with the mixture myself.  There are threads on the FF dedicated to this subject.  A quick search at the top with keyword lube, or blade lobe, or something should produce some reading.  Or...just wait a few minutes cuz these guys will surely have a good suggestion...or 20 :D.
where in NY?(i'm in Genesee county). what are your plans with lumber? keep us informed on that big new mill.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill, Justin.

You're going to love it.  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

justallan1

Welcome to the fun, Justin.
I was using windshield washer fluid with a pine cleaner. I have found that if it's going to be in the wind at real cold temps that it will still freeze in the tube when not in use, so I went with straight windshield washer fluid. It seems to work fine.
Allan

thecfarm

hackberry jake has a good idea too.
I use the diesel-chainsaw oil mix,but only at a SLOW drip and I mean slow. I have 2 shut offs on mine lube,one to adjust it with and one to turn it off when I am not sawing.
Many ways to lube the blade and they all work fine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Congratulations Justin.  You went from "I am new to all this but have been doing some research on manual saw mills" to "Well I got my new saw mill yesterday" in one month.  Now that is not bad in any sawyer's book.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sparks

Combustable in the lube system + mixed in the sawdust not a good combination and not recommended by us. Would hate to see the next post talking about a mill fire. Washer antifreeze in the winter, pinesol or dawn dishwashing liquid in the warmer weather.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

justinmay1982

Thanks guys for all your help. If it wasent for this forum It may have taken me longer to make my final decisions on getting a mill and what kind. I have learned a lot here and now I have to go apply it. I will hopefully be posting some pictures when the weather is tolerable. I am in Saratoga County NY in the Adirondacks. Right now I have a few friend who want lumber. I need lumber for myself right now to build an addition. I will be busy to say the least. cant wait!  :laugh:

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: justinmay1982 on February 22, 2013, 01:22:00 PM
cant wait!  :laugh:

Very appropriate!  Congrats on the new mill.  Those guys at EZ make a very well built and well thought out mill.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

wesdor

Congrats on the new mill.  I saw the Boardwalk in action at a Missouri show a couple of summers ago.  It looks like a well built machine.

Thank You Sponsors!