iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a used electric bandsaw mill

Started by Clay Johnson, February 21, 2013, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay Johnson

I am looking to purchase a electric sawmill. We will be cutting mostly cherry maple, walnut but will get into rosewoods as well.  Any suggestions on how big I need to have motor wise to cut these woods? Also and tips on what to look for in a used electric sawmill. 
We have to have electric since we are cutting in side a ware house and there are tenants on both sides of us.
Thanks for your time and suggestions

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Clay, Welcome to the Forum. I'm not up on my electric mills but someone here will be able to help you. I just wanted to welcome you before I went to bed.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

Do you have access to 3phase power? Probably do in a warehouse.

Sponsor Woodmizer would be one place to contact. They could answer the question. As well, there are some threads here on the forum that discuss the electric power.

Here is a thread about 10 hp single phase
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62786.msg929082.html#msg929082

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redbeard

Timberking also sells electric powered sawmills.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

kderby

Where are you Clay?

Most of the mills are portable and thus gas or diesel.  Would you consider converting over to E!

The Portland OR Woodmizer store had a new electric LT50 for $50k.  Nice!

You are going to spend nearly as much on the dust control as you are on the mill by the sound of things.

I will convert to electric as I now have three phase and am not actively mobile milling.  I will need dust control as well.  I can learn from your progress.  Welcome to the Forum.

Kderby

5quarter

Welcome. What the other guys said. most of the major mill manufacturers have an electric motor option for their mills. On the used market, maybe 1 in 20 mills might be electric. but you may get lucky and find one. perhaps you can buy both a used mill and an electric motor and swap them out. Just curious, but most of the Rosewoods large enough to cut for lumber aren't found in North America. Are you importing it? or do you live elswhere and import the cherry, maple and walnut?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Kansas

As stated, first question is do you have 3 phase. If you do not, the size of the saw or power will be severely limited without a phase converter. Next question is, what do you plan on cutting, how much output do you need a day, to match the mill to your needs. Next question is, does it have to be a new mill, or will used work fine. Then, do you have a manufacturer that you want, such as Woodmizer, Timberking, etc. 

bandmiller2

Welcome Clay,sounds like you will be cutting for furnature cabnets or outher high end stuff.Call woodmizer and talk to them it will cost a little more to go new but you won't have outher folks problems.You can get just whats suited to your operation.Your wise to go electric,my band mill has a 15 hp Baldor three phase motor and I have never wanted for more power. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Clay Johnson

Thanks for all the input and will still continue to listen to what more people have to say. Never owned a saw mill....yet

More on my needs:
I have a company that sells products to the craft industry. When it comes to wood we use mainly thicker stuff, 2-1/4" up to about 5" thick and a little thicker and as wide as possible. You can always cut it smaller, and I have never see a lumber stretcher.

We import very few logs but we buy logs from other importers.

High output is not a big issue but I don't want to spend 15 minutes cutting through one slab.

I have looked at the mills that has been suggested but still not sure which one to lean toward. We are here in Louisville KY and I think, Woodmizer is in Indy just 2 hours away.

....Is it good to have the manufacturers close by?
....When you buy the blades or have them sharpen, do you have them done at the saw manufacturer??? Or do you sharpen them your self????

I know there are sponsors to this site and I know that every manufacturer has a "fluke" bad saw every now and then. But this is a major, MAJOR, investment for me and I want to get the best saw for my money.

Mobility isn't a big factor and I know since it needs to be electric that decreases mobility as well, although I guess???? you can put a heavy duty cord on it if I was to cut on location and they had electric??? Or not.  I am not an electrician.

Maybe sawmills are like pick-ups some would never drive a Ford and some will never drive a Chevy.

Still listening to you guys so keep sending your thoughts. If you have any questions please ask.
Thanks for all the help.

wesdor

Welcome Clay,

Before Christmas there was an LT15 for sale on Craigslist in upper New York.

I just purchased an LT15 and am in the process of setting it up.  I do not have 3 phase but the wiring was straightforward.  Took my electrician less than an hour to run from my circuit box to a wall box and then to the saw. 

In your case you might want to consider the power feed on an LT15 or go to a bigger (more expensive) model. 

Can't speak about other manufacturers, but there are several high quality saws available

Good luck on your purchase

waho

Wesdor, did you convert to an electric motor? How big and what kind of amps does it draw?

waho

UN Hooker

Clay
   Check this site out http://www.keenanauction.com , They have a lt-40 hyd- elec. going to auction on March 7.
             UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!