iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building bar stools

Started by tomkat001, February 25, 2013, 09:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomkat001

My wife would like me to build 4 bar stools for our recent kitchen remodel to sit by the Island.
Anyone have a design for me to work off of? She dose not  want back on them, just a simple stool that she can add an upolstered seat.
Also, what do you think of using quarter sawn oak for this project? Will it be strong enough?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Boardwalk Jr. , JD 5075E with 553 loader, Stihl 290 Farm Boss,

beenthere

Sounds like a good project.

Your question about 1/4 sawn oak....
Are you turning the parts, or sawing them out for legs and cross braces?

The most important for wood selection would be straight grain. Don't think there is any gain from the 1/4 sawn as the dimensions would likely be the same if sawn square (other than the seat). Rift might be of interest, but straight grain will be most important.  In my opinion.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Tomkat, what ever way you decide to build your stools or what species you use, please post pics of your progress. I'd love to see your work.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tomkat001

I will not be doing any turning, she wants square legs.
Boardwalk Jr. , JD 5075E with 553 loader, Stihl 290 Farm Boss,

Hilltop366

Around 20 years ago I made some out of pine (square legs but I ended up taking the corners down) and used one I had given to me for the angles and dimensions, It is a bit tricky getting things just right and glued up all at once. I would recommend making one first to work out the bugs before making a bunch. A drill press with a tilting table and a forstner bit is handy but not necessary.

You might try to search here and on he www for plans as well.

Jay C. White Cloud

Here is a great link for a book friends of mine have built bar stools from as well.  It is a green wood working book, so it's not the mainstream method, but you might enjoy it.  This is how I will be building my kitchen island stools.

best of luck,

jay

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Joint-Stool-From-Tree/dp/0985077700
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Lud

QS Oak would be plenty strong.  Suggests Craftsman style as Stickley always used QS oak.

Put the cross members (heel rails)  at slightly different heights for different folks.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Brad_bb

These were in a house our group rented last weekend.  Nice.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!