iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Helpfull things to know/have in da shop... Please add if you can!

Started by isawlogs, February 21, 2013, 07:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Screws, sometimes while putting them into hardwood there not so easy to put in, a little wax will go a long way in helping out.
   Da wax...

A little is all that is needed, it really does help a lot, makes putting screw is so much easier.

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

Another trick for screws in hardwood, taught to me by an old, and good woodworker was to just rub the screw in your hair (yeah, when I had hair  :D).
The small bit of lanolin on the hair made a world of difference in the force needed to turn them in, and there was no tell-tale ring left around the screw head.

Might also be a good use for a drop of Blue Creeper too.

And da wax is good too. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't have anything to add right now.....but ISAWLOGS.....this is gonna be a good thread.

Good idea.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tree Feller

I melted a wax toilet bowl ring (a new one) and poured the melted wax into an old plastic glue bottle with the top part cut off just above the wax level. I use it to wax screws, particularly those 2 1/2" - 3" long rascalls. Helps a lot.

A tip for a woodworking drill press is to make the table insert round and off-center to the quill. That way the insert can be rotated a bit each time a new surface is needed beneath whatever is being drilled. The inserts last a lot longer than a square one that is centered underneath the quill.

I've known about that tip for years and recently saw that it won the "best tip" award in Wood magazine for that particular issue. Guys, some of the things you do to facilitate your shop work can be worth money or tool prizes if you submit them to the magazines.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

justallan1

I've got to where I keep a selection of old inner tubes around. They make great clamps/holders until you have things close enough to actually clamp or fasten. Just cut slices and you have rubberbands.
Allan

DaleK

Syringes and plastic tubing to fit over them. Particularly larger syringes from the feed mill/ TSC etc. Equally good for dispensing fluid and sucking up small spills.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

pigman

A comfortable chair to rest while the glue dries. I use slow drying glue. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

scsmith42

A well stocked first aid kit...

A cold fridge stocked with beer...

A good shop dog....

A good radio...

A sink....

A bbq grill....

Air Conditioning and heating!

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

CHARLIE

If building a new shop, be sure you place all your wall outlets 4 feet off the floor. Think about installing some outlets in the ceiling with drop cords.

When you see an old radio or phonograph speaker, take the magnet off the back of it. The magnets are handy to pick up spilled screws and nails or to find a metal object you dropped into the sawdust. magnets are also good to stick on you drill press, bandsaw, etc to hold drill bits or small wrenches.

Make your own zero clearance tablesaw plate. Take the original steel tablesaw plate that came with the saw and put it on a piece of plywood the same thickness.  Outline it onto the plywood with a pencil and cut it out using a bandsaw or sabre saw, just a little bigger than the lines.  Clamp the steel plate onto the plywood and use a router with a flush cutting trim bit or pattern bit to trim it to the same size.  Lower the tablesaw blade, tape the new plywood plate to the tabletop, turn on the saw and slowly raise the blade so it cuts a slot throught the plywood.  You can level it to the table using tape as shims.

Purchase some cheaper 1 gallon wall hung shopvacs.  Hang them on the wall behind your miter saw, your drill press or woodlathe. They really come in handy. I hooked one of them up to my miter saw and it does a good job keeping sawdust from going all over the place. I think I got mine for about $20 each.

Buy some interlocking foam play pads from Toys-R-Us. They make great cushioned pads to stand on and are a lot cheaper than pads bought from woodworking stores....more colorful too.  :D

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

limbrat

ben

SwampDonkey

Robertson screws by the bag from Lee Valley. Pre-lubed, self drilling, no cam-out in the head (can use Phillips or Robertson drives), don't break off like Canadian Tire chunk. I always pre-drill hardwood. But junk (pricey to) screws will break anyway. Enough of that non-sense. ;D

With those it goes without saying, a good set of screw drivers is needed that are not softer than the screws. ::)

Need the radio

Good sharp chisels and things to make a good edge on them.

A Record Vise (2) that you can clamp to anything around the shop that has a strong lip. ;D

Lots of drill bits, and extra small ones because they usually break off when the drill gets laid down on a messy work area or just plain snap off because they are usually junk if bought local. :D Don't try to drill steel with wood drilling bits. :D Oh, and need a bit sharpener. ;)

Lots of pencils and a nice work bench area with drawers to store them, along with a geometry compass, protractor, triangles and cheap solar calculator.

Fine tooth Japanese saw, or at least a flush cut saw for the dowels. ;D

Those el cheap storage cabinets wit the little drawers to put all the screws and bolts and jointery hardware.

You got a big enough shop? :D :D

Shop stove and 1-1/2 cord ranked up in the outter shop area, attached woodshed. Working in cold takes the incentive away mighty quick. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DaleK

Quote from: CHARLIE on February 21, 2013, 11:58:34 PM
If building a new shop, be sure you place all your wall outlets 4 feet off the floor.

Good start, but 54" will let you lean 4x8s of plywood, etc. against the wall without covering your outlets (on open walls anyway)....
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Lud

My headphones with a little Sansa (with 600+ tunes)  gives me hearing protection. 

A box fan exhausts the barn next to the lathe and a couple of little fans keep the "fines"  away.  Another box fan blows thru the "cone of heat" rising off the stove and a ceiling fan and yet another box fan high in the far end of this old bank barn creates a circulation loop  to temper all the air .  And a 3' tall old bird cage on top of the stove lets me drape a bunch of the yellow , fuzzy gloves.  When my hands get cold, changing to a hot pair of gloves is amazing as I think the hot blue knit wristbands improves blood circulation to the whole hand.

Bamboo skewers give you 1/8" super strong , sandable  pins.

Remote starters for dust collection and air compressor  which are NOT in the main shop to keep noise down.

Next to Imagination, the most important thing is Organization. ;) ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

metalspinner

A small electric leaf blower.  After I sweep up most of the mess, I open the garage door and the back window then blow the shop clean. Two or three times starting from the back gets the shop looking pretty good. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

DR_Buck

Quote from: isawlogs on February 21, 2013, 07:15:33 PM

Screws, sometimes while putting them into hardwood there not so easy to put in, a little wax will go a long way in helping out.
   Da wax... A little is all that is needed, it really does help a lot, makes putting screw is so much easier.

Marcel,     I thought that was what the hammer was for?    :D   

I think I appreciate a good dust collector more than anything else.   Along with some flexible hose to get the sawdust out of the corners.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Radar67

Everyone needs a good fire extinguisher. It is almost as good as a sharp chisel when needed. ::)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Cypressstump

Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

stumpy

Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

tgalbraith

I learned this from my father-in-law.  When you have to drive a nail near the edge of thin material, like molding: set the nail on a hard surface and give the sharp end a light tap. It peens it just enough to to tear instead of wedge and split the board. Works every time.
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

isawlogs

I buy non-slip drawer liners and use them not for there intented porpuse. I use them as a sanding mat, the little peices don't fly away, and they also acte as a protector, the peice you put on does not get marked on the underneath from vibration from the sander.  Best things about them... they are cheap   ;D , I got this one from a Dollar store.

Marcel

clww

Clamps. Clamps. More Clamps! You can never have too many.
Same thing goes for tape measures and utility knives, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

I've never done it Marcel, but a good idea. I always have a big sheet of cardboard lying around for sanding on. It slides a little, but tolerable. Done it for years. Some of the cheapo rubber stuff you have to be careful, it will mark the wood that color of blue. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

I have yet to have any of the colouring from the liners bleed out onto the wood, they really are great for sanding on, the little peice don't move around on ya and get airborn  ;)

Marcel

Slab Slicer

Marcel, that is an excellent idea. That's why I'm gonna like this thread. Super useful, and inexpensive. I like it.  :) :)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Thank You Sponsors!