iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quickie Quiz Jackpot #10

Started by mesquite buckeye, February 21, 2013, 01:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

What tree am I? ??? ??? ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jay C. White Cloud

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

mesquite buckeye

Last one was too easy. Thought I would try one without a photo to challenge you guys.

smiley_biggrin01

It's there now. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jay C. White Cloud

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

mesquite buckeye

Me too. ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce

:snowfight1:

mesquite buckeye

Jay C. White Cloud

Pure guess here now... Pistachio?

Okrafarmer

One that I've already guessed before. (or befive).  :-*
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Okra,

This time I think it might be Pistachio...

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jay C. White Cloud

Dang't that could be it... >:(!!!...Good for you, it does look a bit like apple... ;D

tyb525

I milled a small crab apple log once, it looks a lot like it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: tyb525 on February 21, 2013, 09:17:32 PM
Crab apple

Not that. smile_juggle teeter_totter teeter_totter teeter_totter teeter_totter smiley_horserider smiley_horserider

mesquite buckeye

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 21, 2013, 09:41:47 PM
Looks like pecan.

Not pecan.

smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bouncing_pinky :snowfight1: popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley dadgum you, Charlie!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Okrafarmer

mesquite buckeye

Okrafarmer

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 21, 2013, 11:47:41 PM
Madrone. Or sycamore.

Thanks a lot, shotgun.

It is one of those............ Violin_smiley bat_smailey bat_smailey bat_smailey bat_smailey

Jay C. White Cloud

Okra,

I think you may be acquiring a "nick-name?"  I kind'a like it... ;)..."Shotgun."  Has a ring to it.

mesquite buckeye

Maybe he is still asleep. ??? ??? ::)

JuniperBoss

Sycamore. Too dark to be madrone.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

WDH

Not very typical looking sycamore for these parts.  Must be the dry heat  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JuniperBoss

I could be wrong. The last picture made me think it wasn't madrone. The first made me think it was.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Okrafarmer

JuniperBoss

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey Shotgun,

If that is Sycamore, it sure has to be a western subspecies or maybe the dry biom effects it's general affect.

Regards,

jay

Okrafarmer

There are several species of sycamore out west, and they are different from eastern sycamore.

Jay C. White Cloud

You got me on that one brother...I will have to read about that, thank's!

jay

Okrafarmer

Four of them are only in Mexico, my bad. Two are in the western US. My guess is

Platanus wrightii Arizona Sycamore.

Jay C. White Cloud

Good job on this one Shotgun, after considering your observation, it does look like it could be that.  I hope you get it... 8)

Okrafarmer

What do I win? My very own blinking pixel and a new nickname?  ???

beenthere

Check with long-time member Shotgun afore walkin over his 'name'.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

Quote from: beenthere on February 24, 2013, 12:32:04 AM

True, true. . . .
This name was handed to me by others. . . .
And I don't have to keep it. . . .

doctorb

Mesquite Buckeye....

I would like to thank you for your efforts on this thread/board.  I don't know much about wood ID (I'm not too bad on tree ID, but the sawed wood.....is another story).  I just wanted to tell you that you don't have to be a sawyer/logger/forester to enjoy this information.  I've followed all your quickie quizes with interest. Thanks again!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

JuniperBoss

I've been following the buckeye since I first began on the forum. So far I see that he is a great member. He contributes a lot and genuinely tries to help people who need advice. Jeff should be proud to have a member like the buckeye. Thank you for making great quizzes and helping me out with my own questions :).

Shotgun

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 24, 2013, 07:57:58 AM
Quote from: beenthere on February 24, 2013, 12:32:04 AM

True, true. . . .
This name was handed to me by others. . . .
And I don't have to keep it. . . .

Okrafarmer,

I'm flattered that you want to use my handle on the Forestry Forum, but..., well, you'd better have your attorney on retainer.

:D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Jay C. White Cloud

Shotgun that was my fault, maybe we could call him 410 or 12 gauge... :D :D :D ;)

Shotgun

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 24, 2013, 02:59:49 PM
Shotgun that was my fault, maybe we could call him 410 or 12 gauge... :D :D :D ;)

...maybe even bb gun, dart gun, or blow gun.  No harm intended, but those just came to mind.   :) :D ;)

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Jay C. White Cloud

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Sorry, blow gun, really got to me, Okra... ;D I'm still laughing!

It's kinda cool...silent, and deadly...that could grow on you...plus it has a cool history in how you got it!

SwampDonkey

ROTFLMAO  :D

After you get this one figured out, I'll have to get me a wood sample to keep ya guessing all winter. I'll even give ya an end grain pic. And it will also be native. In fact, I bet some of ya curse the darn stuff if you have pastures near a major river of any sort. Maybe, it might not even be light colored wood. You might even be surprised (because of size) that I've seen some sawed and used in making boxes. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 24, 2013, 02:59:49 PM

Personally, I like Scatter Gun  ;D.

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 24, 2013, 12:15:55 AM
What do I win? My very own blinking pixel and a new nickname?  ???

Not yet.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: doctorb on February 24, 2013, 10:01:12 AM
Mesquite Buckeye....

I would like to thank you for your efforts on this thread/board.  I don't know much about wood ID (I'm not too bad on tree ID, but the sawed wood.....is another story).  I just wanted to tell you that you don't have to be a sawyer/logger/forester to enjoy this information.  I've followed all your quickie quizes with interest. Thanks again!

smiley_biggrin01

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: JuniperBoss on February 24, 2013, 12:13:46 PM
I've been following the buckeye since I first began on the forum. So far I see that he is a great member. He contributes a lot and genuinely tries to help people who need advice. Jeff should be proud to have a member like the buckeye. Thank you for making great quizzes and helping me out with my own questions :).

Now I am all embarrassed. :'(

mesquite buckeye

Here, I am, stinky with mesquite dust, back from the ranch and you guys still haven't figured it out. I would suggest rereading the thread for inspiration....... ;D

giant splinter

California Sycamore, Spanish Aliso,Platanus Racemosa
roll with it

Okrafarmer

I thought you said it WAS sycamore.
Ok, madrone, then.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: giant splinter on February 24, 2013, 10:46:59 PM
California Sycamore, Spanish Aliso,Platanus Racemosa

Still not a sycamore of any kind. ::) ::) ::)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 24, 2013, 10:52:39 PM
I thought you said it WAS sycamore.
Ok, madrone, then.

Which one ??? ??? ??? ???

giant splinter

Arizona Medrone?
I would of  considered that a large shrub, they must get fairly large.

roll with it

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: giant splinter on February 25, 2013, 11:07:41 AM
Arizona Medrone?
I would of  considered that a large shrub, they must get fairly large.

Arizona Madrone, Arbutus arizonica   close enough

We have a winner!!!!!!!

smiley_clapping   smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce teeter_totter teeter_totter teeter_totter

They can get 20, rarely 30 ft tall, with a heavy, short trunk up to 2-3ft. 6000-8000ft with ponderosa pine and mixed evergreen oaks, New Mexico locust etc., scattered, never abundant. I got this piece maybe 25 years ago when a section of the mountain slid onto the road. The road crew cut this one up and a 3 ft branch maybe 8" in diameter was laying in the slash. Free ;D ;D ;D

mesquite buckeye

giant splinter

I owe that one to Okrafarmer  " High Five" He was all over it and barking up the right tree.
Thanks Buckeye and Okrafarmer along with all the others, Like the Doc says  The Quickie Quiz Jackpot is interesting. As well as challenging for anyone who enjoys working with wood.        ---------->http://www.toddshikingguide.com/FloraFauna/Flora255.htm<---------- Here is where I found it and if the bark,flowers,seeds or leaves where shown for this tree it would have been fairly easy to solve and this is a big part of why we enjoy this challenge of getting inside the tree to identify it.

Keep Them Coming M.B., It's a great challenge for everyone.
roll with it

Thank You Sponsors!