iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Catalitic converters on saws

Started by hackberry jake, February 21, 2013, 07:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

A friend of mine works in a place where saws are sold. He said their newest shipment of saws all had Catalitic converters and they aren't as good of a saw as the old ones. I have heard stihl and husky both are going this route. Is there any truth to this?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

MPE

Some are running cats, most aren't.  Most of the cats are easy enough to ditch, though.

beenthere

Thank the Gov't regs out of EPA for those changes.

As well as some of these weird United Nations committees that are running (ruining) our country.

Being a poorer product doesn't enter into their decisions at all.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

macpower

Husky/JRed have run cats on some of their saws for years now. Bet you never even noticed! They work just fine, run a little hot, but only the top cover will know.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

celliott

I've ran a few Dolmars with catalytic mufflers. I was told the reason Dolmar saws have the huge bucking spikes is so when you are bucking a log with the dogs dug in, enough space is left so the wood won't burn, the mufflers get that hot!  :o
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

AdkStihl

Quote from: hackberry jake on February 21, 2013, 07:15:03 PM
A friend of mine works in a place where saws are sold. He said their newest shipment of saws all had Catalitic converters and they aren't as good of a saw as the old ones.

Must be Dolmar  :)
J.Miller Photography

qbilder

As soon as global warming melts the ice caps & stops the flow of the thermohaline circulation, Earth will have another ice age. Won't care about emissions then  ;)
God bless our troops

John R

Quote from: qbilder on February 22, 2013, 03:54:46 PM
As soon as global warming melts the ice caps & stops the flow of the thermohaline circulation, Earth will have another ice age. Won't care about emissions then  ;)
How long do ya figure that'll take?
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

g_man

I have a Husky 359. Ran it first two years with original cat muffler. Good saw but a  little hard to start at times and ran hot. Took off the cat conv for a regular muffler three years ago. Starts easy, runs cooler, more power too.

John Mc

Quote from: g_man on February 25, 2013, 08:49:44 PM
I have a Husky 359. Ran it first two years with original cat muffler. Good saw but a  little hard to start at times and ran hot. Took off the cat conv for a regular muffler three years ago. Starts easy, runs cooler, more power too.

I had the same experience with my Jonsered 2152 (sister saw to the Husky 353).  I did have to retune the carb after swapping out the muffler.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

g_man

Quote from: John Mc on February 26, 2013, 03:45:32 PM
Quote from: g_man on February 25, 2013, 08:49:44 PM

I had the same experience with my Jonsered 2152 (sister saw to the Husky 353).  I did have to retune the carb after swapping out the muffler.

John Mc

Yes that's a given. I should have mentioned that. Thanks. Usually needs to be a little richer because it breaths easier.

Thank You Sponsors!