iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finding "treasure" while clearing???

Started by ayerwood, February 20, 2013, 05:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ayerwood

So last week, I am clearing some old dirt/brush piles to make some more room on my landing area.  I was using my fel bucket on my Deere tractor when I hit something SOLID.  It just stopped my machine and I couldnt figure it out.  So I started "tickling" the pile and removing a little bit here and there until I could see it.  Couldn't figure it out at first, then realized I had found an old dozer rake buried and tangled up in some old branches.  Just got it out yesterday.

It is 10' 5" wide and has 8 21"+- tines.  The height of the arms are 59" to the top of the teeth and they are 63" apart.  The holes for the pins are 3".

What model of dozer would this rake fit on?  And since I don't own a dozer, what would it be worth?

I appreciate any feedback.  This part of the property hasn't been logged in many years.

g_man

A rake that size is worth some money. I would say over 2k easy.

mad murdock

Id say it is off a D6 or equivalent sized cat.  Pretty good sized rake.  How much you think it weighs? it is worth at least its weight in steel scrap which is probably at least $500.  Worth more as a rake though, a guy could always cut it down to size to fit a smaller cat, say D4/JD450 size.  I want to make or get a rake to fit my skidder.  a brush rake works really well for piling logs, a lot better than just using the blade. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

giant splinter

It's a "rock rake" and 10'- 6" is the width of the D-6 Caterpillar size tractors. It could work as a root rake if you need it for that also but it would be better with welded on shanks and tips for ripping out roots and raking them to a pile.
roll with it

DDDfarmer

Here is a pic of my rake on the D6 9U, not sure of the specs offhand but I would guess 12' and maybe 50" to the top pin hole. weight would be around a ton or so.

Previous owner payed $1500.   I would say a D5-D6 sized machine it would all count on what blade setup it has.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

treefarmer87

clean it up, repaint, and sell, :) if you don't want it
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ayerwood

Thanks to all for your input.  Maybe if I keep clearing this area, I will find the dozer too... :)

lumberjack48

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Onthesauk

Craigslist has been advertising a rock rake on the Seattle board, I think for $1,500.  Haven't looked, just a vague memory of it but has been there for several weeks.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Thank You Sponsors!