iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Postcards (Image intensive)

Started by Jeff, February 19, 2013, 09:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

You can blame Loggah for this. After seeing his mini museum, it inspired Tammy and I to start digging stuff out of the nooks and crannies and drawers and cabinets to see the light of day again.  I went through a little portfolio I had on the bookshelf and found some of the old postcards we have. Some are pretty cool and are real photo post cards. I've scanned some of them in to the computer so I can post them. Tammy is working on some little frames, so she can hang them in different blocks somewhere in the house.

I'll just post 2 or 3 at a time, as this topic could get photo heavy. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Jeff

thecfarm

Another"forget the girl"picture. Those are nice cards.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

THis card is mostly of local interest. Old spikehorn was quite the character from everything told, as he died befoire I was born. There is a book out about his life. He kept bears, and once walked one of them into the state capital on a chain. I think it was over his right to keep them that he did it. He is buried in the same cemetary as my mom and dad. Anyone coming into Harrison for a piugroast from the south, has seen the stone remains of his "Bear Den" and tourist trap.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10899800

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Man....you look at all these pics and it's hard to imagine what it would be like to be there.

Jeff, y'all probably got stuff lost down in the cracks of the couch worth $$$$.  :D :D :D :D
You and Wildflower keep digging, this is some good stuff.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

This is enough for tonight. :)

thecfarm

Thanks for the let up Jeff. I all ready replaced the fuses in my dial up.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I lied. Two more for the night. :D

swampbuggy

Thought I would add one. When I was a kid this was one way they moved the logs to the paper mill. They also rafted them there too.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Magicman

Those old pictures are always fascinating.  Old stuff too.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Quote from: swampbuggy on February 20, 2013, 12:33:59 AM
Thought I would add one. When I was a kid this was one way they moved the logs to the paper mill. They also rafted them there too.

What state and is that a river,lake,bay??

isawlogs

Great pics Jeff, Tammy needs be thanked also, I am sure she is in elbow deep to fetch these out for you... ;D

I sure would like a few of the cars in the pic with Babe and blue!   :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

swampbuggy

[/quote]
What state and is that a river,lake,bay??
[/quote]

This was in Grand Marais Mn. on Lake Superior. The Pulp mill was in Ashland Wi. Back then the roads were pretty bad.
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

loggah

Jeff,Great post cards !!! ive got a big pile of them squirreled away also !!!  "Blame me any time you want" ,these things should get out so  people can see how it was done in the old days !!!! ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

justallan1

Great pictures, Jeff. You can post all you wish and it won't wreck my day for sure. Interesting stuff.

Jeff

Jere are a few more to help crash Ray's internet connection. :D

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jeff

The real photo postcard below is so detailed, that when I scanned it, I can clearly see the license plate on the old car in the uncompressed photo. I cropped that part out to show what detail those old postcards sometimes had. The full photo is below it.

Jeff

SwampDonkey

These are really nice post cards. :)

For anyone who hasn't quite got their fix, don't forget, deep in the forum is a thread on 'Historical Logging and Sawmilling'. Don't just stick around in the lobby. ;D

I have an old book here full of painted logging scenes as well. The short history is that the old fella was a preacher and he would paint scenes from memory of this area. The Irvings had the collection of paintings put into this book. The Irvings have a long history of logging and sawmilling and they bought many of the old preacher's paintings and many they commissioned him to paint.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

loggah

I managed to see that founder tree back in the late 70's  just standing there and looking up in the air at it was awesome!!! Then outside of Scotia  California i did a pose with a double bit axe at a redwood tree, i shook the bark which was loose and a piece about 4' wide and 20' long fell off and damned near killed me !!!!! i was wondering how the old time loggers didn't get killed by that stuff !!!!!! Again Jeff great pictures, wish i was smart enough to post some pictures without bugging Cheryl to do it all the time. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This thread is going to fast!

Jeff, was that a debarker in one of your pics?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

wood monger

Hey Jeff, was that one of Paul and Babe from castle rock in Da Yoop?

Ocklawahaboy

I've got a nice collection of Ocklawaha River cards but not too many to do with logging.  Here is a photo card of the way they used to get the cypress out of here.  I used to know the man who's father made the rigging for the ferry you see in the lower corner of the card.

Thank You Sponsors!