iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New

Started by ValleyGuy, February 19, 2013, 09:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValleyGuy

Hi all, new to the forum though I have lurked for quite a while. Taking advice from Poston and coming out of the closet. Bought an '86 LT30 manual a couple of months back after looking for a couple of years. Only has about 500 hours on it with the original Kohler 16.

Everything worked OK when I first used it but it got stuck at an isolated property down an icy road after a major snowstorm and a month later when I got back to it the Up/Down didn't work. That hand crank is handy but boy does it make you appreciate the power up/down. Any ideas for where to start? I'm in the Ottawa Valley in Ontario so a good distance from the closest WM dealer so kind of on my own.

Appreciate any direction.

Ocklawahaboy

Is the up/down the only thing not working?

thecfarm

ValleyGuy,welcome top the forum. From what I read on here,wm is only a phone call away. That's what they are there for.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

VG welcome to the forum, I don't know much about the manuals, but seems like there are those that use some kind of power assist springs of some sort, not sure but something to look into,  good luck with your mill, spring is just around the corner 8)  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I can't help you with your problem, but I can Welcome you to the Forestry Forum.   :)  (Maybe it is something simple like ice.)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SPD748

Welcome Valley Guy! You'll find plenty of knowledge and information here. I'm sure a fellow WM owner will be able to help you with diagnosing your problem.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Valleyguy.....I'm glad you came on board and out of the closet.  smiley_curtain_peek
Did you join because of all the good folks here or because your mill don't work?  :D  :D :D

I'm just playing with you. :) It's always good to laugh sometimes when you have a problem and I assure you, you have come to the right place.

The hand cranks can be a witch sometimes. I know nothing about an 86 model. To be on the safe side,  I agree with THECFARM.....give Wood-Mizer a call first. Sometimes it's something simple.

Let us know what you find out.

Take care Buddy!  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

ValleyGuy,What is a matter with you?? I know you are new here,but...... You're taken advice from who?????      say_what 
But I must admit,even though I don't want too,that is good advice.   ;D 
Watch out for him. He'll try to slip you a helping of grits and tell you all sawyers eat them.  steve_smiley   ;D  ;D  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bogue Chitto

Welcome V.G.  Go ahead a register your mill with Wood-Mizer.  They are always willing to help. 

hamish

Where abouts are you in "our Valley?".

Most likely with the conditions we have had things are just a little iced up, most if not all of it is pretty simple to figure out, a few days in heated shop solve alot of problems.

Had to hold my hands back and forth on a hydraulic coupling that had iced up this morning, took a few minutes but thawed enough to get seated.  Some workers at a local site from southern Ontario where shocked to find out there is 38" of frost in the ground at the site here. They were bundled up like astronauts and I was wearing a wool shirt and a ball cap.

Have a huge heated shop at work if you need to thaw things out, or it can be heated on site.

In Renfrew.

Welcome to FF.

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum.

Like said,  Wood-Mizer is the best source for help. They don't care how old or how many owners have owned the mill.

If you've not transferred ownership of the mill, that needs to be done for a couple of reasons.  One being they will need to know exactly the mill they are dealing with.  Another is they can help you recover your mill if stolen.

Sounds like you have a bad connection some place.  You'll need a voltage meter.  I'd first check to see if there is power to the switch.  If so, check to see if there is power coming out of the switch.   Keep checking until you find a place with no power.  The problem will be somewhere between. 

The drum switches are bad about burning the contacts. It may just need cleaned ..

If you call Wood-Mizer, it would be handy to have a voltage meter.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

rooster 58

Welcome to the forum valley guy

Woodey

Hello, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum ValleyGuy!

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum. Hope that you get the problem solved.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

5quarter

Welcome aboard sailor.  ;) Maybe some water got in where it shouldn't. It's gotta be either electrical or mechanical...That's about all I got. I'm sure the experts will be along shortly.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

ValleyGuy

Thanks for the welcome.
Registering the mill is a great idea.

Ocklawahaboy - yes that's the only thing not working

Hamish- I'm just outside of Renfrew in Horton towards the Ottawa River. Appreciate the offer. How much experience have you had with WM's? Any amount is more than I have.

What the heck are Grits (up here that's what we call Liberals)?

Magicman

Quote from: ValleyGuy on February 20, 2013, 06:34:24 AMWhat the heck are Grits (up here that's what we call Liberals)? 
It is very obvious that you are going to fit in very nicely here on the FF.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

You're close.  :D Probably be better to send you to the search bar. It's just about on the top,Home,Help, Search line. Click onto Search and put in grits,that should bring up a few pages.  :D  Supposed to be something that someone would eat.  ::)

GeorgeK

Welcome to the group
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ValleyGuy.

It's the great sawmill learning place!  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!