iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stoves in Japan

Started by John Vander, February 19, 2013, 08:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Vander

This is called a "kamado". It is a stove made for cooking. Direct bottom airflow without base. 

High calorie output, exellent for stews and soups.
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

John Vander

The kamado can be taken apart completely for transport or cleaning. No screws and bolts.

John Vander

This is called a "daruma" stove. Originally designed for using coal, but works o.k. with wood too.

r.man

Hey John, my Japanese is a bit rusty, actually I am barely fluent in English, does "Daruma" mean " pot bellied ".
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

John Vander

That is correct. The name comes from a buddhist priest named Bodhidharma. I suppose you've been to Japan.

Leigh Family Farm

So does this mean I can call my father a "daruma"?  :D :D :D :D
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

John Vander

Right on. A pot bellied father is sometimes called a "daruma oyaji" in Japan.  :D

thecfarm

I like them pot belly stoves.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

That last one kind of looks like the little stubby pot bellies they used to heat laundry water with .

sprucebunny

The first stove is cool ! I like it and the portability .
The second stove says "No.7" on the bottom edge. Kind of makes me think it wasn't made in Japan ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Al_Smith

:D Well if you think about it if say someone found one of the old circa 1900 laundry stoves that was intact it wouldn't  take much to make a pattern  from it and sand cast cast iron and make 10,000 of them .

I have no idea what a person would do with 10,000 little stubby pot bellys but it certainly would be possible .Cast iron they'd last 100 years .

drobertson

After a post yesterday about drying wood to be burnt in Japan, I got to wondering, are there wood lots in Japan, that can be accessed?  And how much does wood for stoves cost in Japan?   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Al_Smith

I've never been there but I think we get the impression the entire country is a mass of humanity crowded into congested urban settings .Probabley about like the unknowing assuming all of New York is like NYC .

sprucebunny

Here's a link to a very similar stove on a British website.
http://www.warriorstoves.co.uk/Catalogue/Stoves/Warrior/Wood-Burning-Stoves/StovePot-Belly-Country-No7-7

I had one almost just like it years ago.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Al_Smith

My buddy of whom just last night I payed my final respects to had one about like that .The little squatty thing would only take about a 10" piece of wood  but my oh my did that thing ever get hot .

He had that little rascal ducted into a chimeny that must have been 40 feet tall and did it ever draw a suction on that little stove .Roared like a blast furnace .

It was only about 6-7 feet away from the refridgerater which caused the compressor to go into overdrive and froze everything within into a solid block of ice .I mean you could have used a stalk of celery for a hammer  hard as a rock . :D His wife at the time,one of two was a tad miffed over the deal .

John Vander

The no.7 on the stove refers to the size. The Japanese make well use of English these days, even if they screw it up 90% of the time.

John Vander

Cost of wood in Japan is sky-high. One cord will sell for about 260 USDollars. Standing trees are cheaper, but getting them is tough. Sawtooth goes for about 5 USDollars at 12"DBH. Japan is mostly mountains, so, felling always involves climbing. Machines don't really get in where you want them. What you see on TV about Japan is only 1% of what really goes on here. Japan is 60% forest - a lot of fun for forest enthusuasts! Hauling wood in Japan is tough. Some places, the wood needs to be taken out by cable. No access roads. Hardly see any skidders around here. Just crawlers at the bottom of the mountains that take away the logs. The slopes are hefty...your legs want to fall off when you finally get to the place you are supposed to work. I will post a couple of pics in the forestry dept. to show you what things look like here.

Slab Slicer

I like those little stoves myself. Here's the one in our livingroom. It's a true vintage one that I restored a few years ago. It's 100% complete as well. The smaller ones on either side are kerosene heaters. Late 1800's to early 1900's.

2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

John Vander

Stunning! Fine collection you have there!

yellowrosefarm

Quote from: John Vander on February 19, 2013, 08:18:38 PM
This is called a "daruma" stove. Originally designed for using coal, but works o.k. with wood too.

I've always called that a railroad stove. Looks just like the one I had in a cabin back in the early 80's. No insulation in the cabin and it was -19. Stove was glowing cherry red and it was still darn cold in there.

John Vander

Check out this one!

Although the daruma was not designed in Japan, it became a legend since the 1800's since it was so well used across Japan. The photo below shows a daruma used in a train wagon.

Slab Slicer

That "ball stove" for the lack of a better name, could be used for cooking with that flat spot, and 3 "pins" sticking out the top. The would keep the pot in place for sure.

Here's one I haven't had the chance to restore just yet. Another one from the late 1800's. This is known as a "Parlor Stove" . This one heated the room it was in, and also has an additional vent to pipe heat to another room. I can't wait to get this one all done up. It was cast not far from here in Quakertown PA. I posted this one somewhere on the forum before. Just cant recall where.

2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Slab Slicer

Did I mention that I like cast iron?  :) :) Here's part of the collection.

Chuck

pigman

That big round stove should be called a Sumo stove.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

John Vander

Thank You Sponsors!