iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used RR ties (What is the material good for?)

Started by Tee, February 19, 2013, 07:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tee

While there is a RR tie topic up with a lot of interest, I've read debates about sawing old ties and power poles as well and curious to what the material is good for. Maybe siding is all I thought of.
Also to note, The local power utility recently had a subcontractor survey all their poles. What I've read has pretty much scared me from the bad ones but I may inquire about the salt treated ones. (if they actually get replaced)

thecfarm

I made steps out of old RR ties at my other house. I had to saw some to length. I used a chainsaw.Those things are HARD HARD HARD on a chain, I was LUCKY to get one cut before I had to sharpen it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Old RR ties have grit and stones driven deep plus that "S" shaped piece of steel driven into the ends.I don't cut ether but poles would be preferable.Ties are dandy if you use them as they are,they play hob with a saw chain let alone a band. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

wetdog

I have been sawing some used powerpoles to make sills for a house. They turn out good due to the straightness and tight grain.

Magicman

Hello wetdog.  I see that you have been around since October and have gone without any welcomes.  That plus you are my 90 mile away neighbor. 

How about starting an introduction thread and sharing some of your sawing/lumber interest.  How is the LT40 treating you?    (Or in your Resaw Attachment thread)   :)

And Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tee

Hi wetdog,
      Were the ones you sawed creosote or pressure treated? Also, are you sawing with a standard bed or do you have a extension?

wetdog

Tee,
I am milling both creosote and pressure treated. I milled them 20' on a friend's LT 28. It takes a while to get all the nails and staples out of them but the end result will be far better and much cheaper than anything you can get at the local lumber yard. If you mill some with the creosote, make sure to have on protective clothing, dust mask, and safety glasses. That dust will burn ya up! Also make sure they are old clothes, you will be throwing them away when done. I usually pick up 30'-40' used power poles from my local utility at about $15 a piece.

wetdog

Magicman,
Thanks for the welcome. I am still learning all the functions of the FF. I've been milling for a few years now on a friend's mill. Just ran across the LT-40 Friday and have only been able to bring it home and put it in the barn before returning offshore for work today. I'm slowly putting together a barn full of toys; tractor, mill, an old marathon edger, and woodmaster planer/molder. I guess you could say the sawdust bug bit me good. I always enjoy reading your posts and comments to others. I can tell there is a world of knowlege in that head of yours. I'd love to throw slabs for you some days and see if some of it could rub off on me.

hackberry jake

I have heard good review on them as fence posts. As already stated, I would plan on using them as-is.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

zombie woods

I stack logs on em
and sometimes as foundations for my stickered lumber .

Magicman

There was a time when I fished Lake Mary, but not since I retired.  That sounds backwards for some reason.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Of all the creosote ties I have cut, I would have to say it would depend on their age and condition. Some have not been too bad, others hollowed out.  The treatment did not go as deep as I always thought it did.  Most of these in this area wind up in the corners of fence rows, and some cross bracing.  Landscaping, walls, and steps. Pretty nasty,  Real good for the bottom of lumber stacks, as mentioned.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!