iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM 100 amp circuit breaker upgrade with photos

Started by Jim_Rogers, February 19, 2013, 01:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Ok, so in this thread:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,63783.0.html

we discussed hard starting and upgrading to a 100 amp breaker to replace the 100 amp fuse that is in the mill.

Today, I had a hard starting situation and I burnt out my last on hand fuse.

I didn't know it was my last one until I went to my parts box to get a replacement one and could only find (3) 225 amp fuses.

So, I decided it was time for the upgrade.

I called WM electrical tech support and asked them how to they feel about putting in a breaker instead of a fuse.
They said that the breaker will take more to trip then the fuse took to burn out. So the wires may be warm before the breaker trips.

We also discussed my hard starting situation but that's another story.

I went online to Napa dot com and found a 100 amp breaker and it was on hand at my local store.

I when down town and got it.

I also found in one of my "new parts" boxes this battery wire.
Shown in picture below:

The output side of the breaker could attach directly to the wire harness, so that left the stud the output wire and old fuse hooked to available to attach the circuit breaker to in order to hold it still inside the fuse box.

I had to drill out the output wire end to get it large enough to fit over the stud on the breaker.

I had to remove the stud on the side of the fuse box that holds the spare fuses as it was very close to the "hot" lead.
I will put some silicone sealer in that hole to prevent road spray from entering the box while traveling.
In order to insure that the "hot lead" wire didn't hit the side of the box I put in a piece of "ice and water" shield roofing material against the side of the box.

Here is the before picture:

Here is the after picture:

I checked and the mill started right up.
I had been charging my battery while doing the run to town for parts.
I tried to get a shorter wire from the parts store, but they didn't have one. And the shortest one they did have was even longer then this one I got many years ago.

I hope this "upgrade" will work for me.
So far it has.
I'll let you know later on if there is any problems.

Jim Rogers

PS thanks to all the guys advice and pictures in the other thread.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Al_Smith

That fuse is just a fusable link they used to use in renewable link type of fuses .That breaker should work okay though .

I don't really know what the distance is from stud to stud but a Bussman BP/FLB 100 fusable link might have worked .They are relatively inexpensive .

I'm not at all certain if Buss makes the renewable links any more but that one looks like a 250 volt type which would be the non renewable type now as FRN size .Ha the reason they stopped making renewable link  type fuse cartridges is because they would double up the links turning a 100 amp to a two hundred by parrellelling the links .When they blew it was about like a bomb going off .The insurance companys loved them ---about like a tooth ache ---

Al_Smith

Those links if you can find them are Buss LKN 100 .

Delawhere Jack

Hey, that looks familiar.  ;) I've been running mine for a couple weeks now, no issues. I haven't had to start the mill in 22'F temps yet, but it does seems to crank easier in cold weather.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 19, 2013, 02:24:21 PM
Those links if you can find them are Buss LKN 100 .

Yes, that's what it says on the back of the cover to the fuse box. That is the part number for the 100 amp fuse link.

Jim Rogers

Al_Smith

Flea bay Jim .Some reasonable some not so .Typical flea bay .

Jim_Rogers

I agree, Al. But I needed it today. I had to go to town and get it. Paid twice what it would cost off flea bay.

But you have to do what you have to do to keep running.

Jim Rogers

Magicman

It looks very nice Jim.  Hopefully your problems are solved. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

After I put it in, the rest of the day went ok, until it started raining......

It's suppose to rain until at least midnight then drop to 20°F what an icy mess it will be in the morning......

Jim Rogers

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 19, 2013, 05:58:36 PM
Stay in bed Jim.  :) Catch up on your rest.

I wish. I have way to much work to do to even think of taking a day off.

Jim Rogers

Chuck White

Looks good Jim.

I upgraded mine to a breaker around 3-4 years ago (I think) and have not had any problems with it.

Only tripped once and that was trying to start the engine in somewhere around 20°F weather!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

taylorsmissbeehaven

Im glad your upgrade is working out for ya Jim. Its good to be real busy, right?  Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Jim_Rogers

I seem to always be busy, the trouble is getting paid for what I do.....

Jim Rogers

Al_Smith

So exactly what are those fuse links to ,the starter circuit ?

Slabs

I have actually repaired one of those fuses with solder, in a pinch, after the breakaway switch slipped down and worked it's way through the insulation of the wire to the hydraulic pump and shorted the buss thus burning out the fuse.

Yeah, maybe my solder joint was rated at 117 1/2 amps instead of 100.  Just note that there are two fusing points on the element and the other will burn out at 100 +/_.  And it's still going after over 5 years.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!