iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another wood ID please

Started by jkenney, February 19, 2013, 10:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkenney

Hello all.  I am a new member looking for wood ID. Should be an easy one for you experts. Had the offer of free wood in a farmers field (fence row) if I cut it and haul it. Small branches can be left there and he will pile and burn. Seems there is a lot of this particular kind of wood, and I'm not good enough to identify it. None of my searches show bark like this. Only got pictures of the very distinctive bark. Heartwood is very light colored, one reason why I'm not sure it will be worthwile. Hope the pics come through ok.
I'm in west central Illinois.

Jay C. White Cloud

I got to think about this...I think it's an Oak, burr oak type perhaps?  I will check, but I'm sure someone will get it.
Maybe a Hackberry?
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mesquite buckeye

Maybe hackberry........, but also kind of looks like winged elm bark...... ::)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thurlow

Hackberry; have never sawn (sawed ;D) any, but it makes great firewood.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

beenthere

A good pic of the end grain would help sort out a burr oak from winged bark elm from hackberry.
But on first blush I'd go with hackberry (and a rough-barked hackberry for sure).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

jkenney,welcome to the forum. I'm more interested in the tree behind that looks like toilet.   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Red Clay Hound

My first thought was sugarberry which I believe is closely related to hackberry.  Maybe WDH or Dodgy Loner will chime in.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

jkenney

Well thecfarm, racoons and squirrels need a place to go, too.  :D
After doing more serious searches on hackberry, I finally found a picture that shows a bark closeup.Looks like a match to me. I'll wait for WDH or Dodgy Loner to see if they agree.

mesquite buckeye

Hackberry wood and elm wood look very different, especially in color. Hackberry has a yellowish cast to it, older trees will have a grey center. The elm will have at least a hint of red to the wood.

I actually like hackberry wood. Dries nice and is relatively clear if forest grown.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

jkenney

Yes, this has a very light yellowish cast to it, no red to be found.

Dodgy Loner

It is most definitely a Celtis species, which includes both hackberry and sugarberry. In the South, we mostly find sugarberry, but hackberry is common up North. The wood is inseparable, and in the lumber trade, sugarberry just gets lumped in together as hackberry. It tends to warp when drying, and it will gray stain if it is not dried quickly. It has the wavy pore pattern similar to elm (and in fact it is a relative of elm). It is not considered a valuable wood species, but that doesn't mean it's worthless. I used some when building my workbench.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Yessiree, hackberry.  The warty bark is distinctive.  Difficult wood to dry in my experience if flatsawn. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

I cut mine in the fall, air dry in open shed. For me moves less than most oaks.

jkenney

Looks like hackberry it is! Thanks to all who helped ID it. What a great place for information.

GeorgeK

I cut some Hackberry the other day for a customer but can you tell me good uses for it?
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

jkenney

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: GeorgeK on February 19, 2013, 08:59:21 PM
I cut some Hackberry the other day for a customer but can you tell me good uses for it?

Good for furniture. Bendable like elm. Planes up real nice and smooth. I think you could use it for flooring too. Never had powderpost beetles bother it. Don't know if they do.....

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: jkenney on February 19, 2013, 09:06:02 PM
This will be firewood.

That's what I do with most of the hackberry I find.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on February 20, 2013, 09:02:33 AM
Quote from: jkenney on February 19, 2013, 09:06:02 PM
This will be firewood.

That's what I do with most of the hackberry I find.

That's a shame. Seriously underused nice wood. Some of mine is curly. Never had a problem drying it or using it. Clear trunks 30-40ft in the woods....

WDH

It is the worst behaved wood that I have ever sawn, even more delinquent than the  smiley_devil, but that was from only one very large tree.  I now have three more good sized logs, so I guess that I will try it again  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

proteus

Hackberry! 80% of the wood i burn is Hackberry. Very good firewood.
Greg

WDH

Yes, modified quartersawing method.

Thank You Sponsors!